contemporary classical comp. here

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
foorere
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

contemporary classical comp. here

Post by foorere »

Hello all!

I am a contemporary-classical professional-freelance composer and musician. In general I compose a lot of orchestral music.

I am wandering around the Internet and just interested in some new software that would help me realize my ideas in composing.

Is there anyone from this side (contemporary-classical; not pop/rap/techno/rave/etc...) that use DP for music creation?

I am on Mac 10.6.8

I use mostly Logic (for improvisation recording, both MIDI and audio), Ableton Live (for MIDI effects like: Arpeggiator, Scale, Random...), Finale for notating, and other software for audio editing and notation.

I don’t know what is difference between Logic/Live and DP, and where they excel.

What I am mostly looking after is a powerful MIDI transformer, similar to what is found in Ableton Live: Arpeggiator, Scale, Chord etc plugins, but probably even some more.

I would like to have ability to easily generate a scale, to add a chord, random arpeggio, delay etc.

I would like to be able to record/write automation of these transformations, and finally to export it as MIDI or XML file for further editing/composing/orchestrating.

I am not so much interested of diverse sound-libraries, just a decent Piano sound is OK for me.

Any suggestions, clarifications, ideas I will appreciate extremely much.

All the best and thank you. Composer.
(I have learned English in 35 days, please have understanding ...)
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: contemporary classical comp. here

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Welcome. There's a section of the forum devoted to composing that you might be interested in.

DP does XML now. Most L.A. composers I know use Finale and a few use Sibelius as well. I don't.

For me, having multiple sequences in a single project is critical when writing film and theater cues, as well as multiple versions of a single work.

However, when writing for "real" musicians I am in Finale from start to finish and don't use DP at all. I come from the "old school" of writing every note my hand and score faster that way than sequencing or improvising and exporting an SMF for transcription.

I see DP as a strong audio production app (I also design sound) but frankly if you're used to working in a DAW that you know and it works for doing what you do, then based on your post, I don't know that DP is "necessarily" better in terms of recording your notes - however entered.

You can align an improvised (not to metronome) performance to a metered work in DP pretty easily but not totally painlessly. I have used that on occasion. The notation window (and the quickscribe window) can also be lifesavers for improvised scoring as well as traditional notation.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Like Logic, DP's implementation of MusicXML works one way: you can export but not import (dang!).

Like MLC, if I start a project in Finale, that's where it stays -- usually. I am not much of a keyboard player (and one-handed only at that) so I might start with notation and export MIDI files.to DP.

My daughter, OTOH, is a Logic / Finale user. I have on many occasions exported her Logic files so that I could import them into DP for editing. This is where DP really shines in comparison. I can get things done faster and easier with the knowledge that a project will sound the way I want. Logic does not inspire such confidence -- "logic" doesn't always describe the process, IMO.

Full disclosure: I started with DP in the 1990s and later bought Logic because it was cheap and I had students fooling around with GarageBand including my daughter.

Anyway, a good way to get the feel of DP for you would be to do the above. Take a project that you have recorded with audio and MIDI, export the audio and MIDI (easy), import those tracks into the DP 9 demo and see if this makes sense to you. As I like to put it, I can edit to a gnat's whisker in DP.

Do use the search functions here and ask questions when you can't figure something out.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I find DP's MIDI capabilities and edit tools incredibly powerful for composition. I do all of my composition work with some combination of hand-written manuscript and DP. For distribution of parts to real human players, I use some combination of DP's notation (for basic stuff) and Finale.

You can hear examples of the the kinds of work I do on my webpage (link in my signature).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

mikehalloran wrote:Like Logic, DP's implementation of MusicXML works one way: you can export but not import (dang!).

Like MLC, if I start a project in Finale, that's where it stays -- usually. I am not much of a keyboard player (and one-handed only at that) so I might start with notation and export MIDI files.to DP.
I was sent a bunch o' MusicXML files which I wanted to work on in DP. I imported them in Finale, which does go both ways (that didn't sound right :shock: ), then exported to MIDI for import into DP. It was a pretty painless process.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Like Logic, DP's implementation of MusicXML works one way: you can export but not import (dang!).

I was sent a bunch o' MusicXML files which I wanted to work on in DP. I imported them in Finale, which does go both ways (that didn't sound right :shock: ), then exported to MIDI for import into DP. It was a pretty painless process.

Phil
It is and I have done it many times but MIDI doesn't handle expressions, lyrics and many other attributes that MusicXML does. This is why MusicXML import would be nice - also, one more feature to set it apart from Logic (at least DP 9 is on par now).

I also use SmartScore Pro 2 which is greatly improved in that regards but nowhere close to perfect. Depending on the file, I often find that Encore does straight MIDI import better but its XML output is years behind the current standard.

You're right. The current setups and tools work. I would like them to be better, that's all. Now that I'm getting back into performing after so many years away and being unable to do what I could before, those processes that can save me time are worth the $$$.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Good points, as always, MIke. :D
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.