Comp Take Tool is ridiculously amazing. 2 workflow questions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Comp Take Tool is ridiculously amazing. 2 workflow questions

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

What a great feature. I´m really loving the Comp Take Tool.

My favourite workflow with singers, when I need to select the best take at the phrase level, is to loop a region, and listening to the takes by simply clicking on them in real time. It couldn't possibly be easier.

However, there are a couple of workflow things that I'm not sure how to handle...

1.- I don't find this feature useful at all when working with voice over talent, because their takes never match since they're not recorded to a metronome or precise musical notation. And most of them are different, by request, of different "feels" and intentions and speed-

Do you guys use it for VOs? If so, how? Unless the takes are pretty similar in speed, the takes sometimes even overlap, having to move then manually and thus defeating the fast takes comp tool workflow.

With my current workflow, I'm simply recording "wild" takes of paragraphs (1 paragraph per track), one after the other in the same track and take, and then I choose the parts I want and assemble them in a master track.
Do you have a better method for this?

2.- With singers, I usually leave the best 4 or 5 takes of every part of the song. From these, the best parts of takes are assigned to the lead vocal. So once I do the Take Comps workflow and have my final take, I sometimes like to use the other takes for thickening the main vocal in certain parts.
However, I would love it if there were some way to automatically ignore (don´t see) the parts of the takes that have already been taken by the main comped vocal.
This way, it would be so easy to avoid doubling a part that has already been taken, so they all are true distinct performances.

Wouldn't it be great if DP automatically had a function that automatically did that for thickening or coming up with 2nd alternate bests that could be used?

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions for these two points.

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MartinBaird

Re: Comp Take Tool is ridiculously amazing. 2 workflow quest

Post by MartinBaird »

Regarding your point #2 - YES!!!! I've been wishing for this since comping was added to DP years ago. This would be a wonderful feature to add to be able to quickly double or triple the main vocal as you said. MOTU, I hope you're hearing this - thanks!
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Even after you've merged the comp, the sections of the takes used in the comp are highlighted (and there is a command to redivide the comp at the section boundaries from the takes). So you know what was used in the comp. If you delete unused takes, the used sections of the takes are still highlighted. Doesn't that do what you need?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I worked with VO for years, but I was mostly working in Premiere Pro (since the end result would be video), the few times I did it in DP was to add special processing, or just because I was at home and had DP running. No, I wouldn't use the Comp tool for VO, it's really only useful for click-tracked or grid-aligned material, and VOs aren't that precise. I'd probably do manual comping: create a comp take, and then skip through the takes and pick out the best sections, "select copy/paste" them into the comp take, and then move them around as need-be. Be handy with those "Roll" and "Slide" keyboard shortcuts, they can speed up the process significantly.

As for #2, lol, I've been there! I've sometimes done "crowd vocals" like that, but what do you do if they main is comp'd? And even for your secondaries, some parts are going to be throwaways, so you'll probably want to do some comping too. Can't help ya, just something you'll have to work around. Realistically, sometimes there's no problem using a few words here or there from the same takes, just nudge them over in time and no one will ever know.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:Even after you've merged the comp, the sections of the takes used in the comp are highlighted (and there is a command to redivide the comp at the section boundaries from the takes). So you know what was used in the comp. If you delete unused takes, the used sections of the takes are still highlighted. Doesn't that do what you need?
Not really...

I´d like to have a command that did this:

Get me a new track, automatically, with ONLY the takes (or parts of takes) that have not been used in the main comped main take-

This way, I would´t even have to guess, or pick and choose what hasn´t been used. Granted. I can see by the shades what has been used already, but I´m seeking a quicker and easier way that doesn't involve comparison or too much further mangling around.
Prime Mover wrote:No, I wouldn't use the Comp tool for VO, it's really only useful for click-tracked or grid-aligned material, and VOs aren't that precise.
Agreed. Not particularly useful for this.

Prime Mover wrote: As for #2, lol, I've been there! I've sometimes done "crowd vocals" like that, but what do you do if they main is comp'd? And even for your secondaries, some parts are going to be throwaways, so you'll probably want to do some comping too. Can't help ya, just something you'll have to work around. Realistically, sometimes there's no problem using a few words here or there from the same takes, just nudge them over in time and no one will ever know.
I normally only leave in the takes the best 4 or 5, and they are usually good enough for doubling the main vocal. I just need to adjust the timing, so it feels tight.

What you describe is what I´ve been doing, but I really think this process could be improved and streamlined with some clever MOTU programming.
MartinBaird wrote:Regarding your point #2 - YES!!!! I've been wishing for this since comping was added to DP years ago. This would be a wonderful feature to add to be able to quickly double or triple the main vocal as you said. MOTU, I hope you're hearing this - thanks!
Martin
I'll send MOTU this suggestion. Hopefully you will do so too, so it has a small chance of ganging some traction over in Cambridge :)
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I do some VO work, generally in DP but the last one was done in TwistedWave on my iPhone with an external mic -- still, I used DP to edit and sync with the video.

DP's time stretch/shrink functions don't sound very good yet I need that in VO far more often than with music. I've not checked to see if DP 9 was an improvement but it wasn't in the list. Of course, MachFive3 is great and that's why I bought it but still, a better sounding time compression in DP would save a lot of time.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

FMiguelez wrote:...Do you guys use it for VOs? If so, how? Unless the takes are pretty similar in speed, the takes sometimes even overlap, having to move then manually and thus defeating the fast takes comp tool workflow...
This is a problem with VOs no matter what your workflow. It's just the nature of the beast. In the final edit stuff is gonna get moved, and that stuff causes other stuff to get moved, etc., etc.

If there's a way to effectively use the comp tool for VOs, I haven't found it. I usually work with multiple tracks - my main vocal track and one or two "takes" tracks. If a sentence at 5:03 needs another take, I'll record that take in another track at 5:03. It might be shorter or longer than the original track, but I don't have to mess with the timeline until the final editing. The disadvantage, of course, is that you can't hear the natural flow of the passage until the editing occurs. It's a trade-off. But isn't everything we do?

A little while back I worked on a project where voice had to be overdubbed to video. The scene was in a small motorboat and extraneous noise ruined the dialog. Because the actors had to sync to the original dialog, it was like working with a click track. The comp tool really worked well here. The foley work was a blast, BTW.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

We've done a lot of VO here for many years. DP is not my first choice, unless we're syncing with a movie or multi-tracking. Most of our scripts are automated nowadays, but when we have to record "free" VO, we use the old time honored paper script, and mark the attempts and best takes.

If I were going to do the same thing in DP, I would make markers as I went and then comp the track later by flipping around them and copy/paste the desired bites to the target.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

mikehalloran wrote:DP's time stretch/shrink functions don't sound very good yet I need that in VO far more often than with music. I've not checked to see if DP 9 was an improvement but it wasn't in the list. Of course, MachFive3 is great and that's why I bought it but still, a better sounding time compression in DP would save a lot of time.
Amen! I would LOVE it if MOTU would license the UVI time stretch in MachFive for DP. They might get a lot more DP users with that kind of power, which is arguably the best in the business.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

IRCAM TS is at Don't Crack for $79. Perhaps it can be used as the external waveform editor in DP. Not as convenient as a plugin, but more convenient than using MachFive.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Yep. AFAIK, MachFive doesn't even support dragging and dropping in DP :(

So it's definitely a hassle. $79 is a great price if you don't have M5.. but to have it integrated into DP would be the Holy Grail.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Killahurts wrote:Yep. AFAIK, MachFive doesn't even support dragging and dropping in DP :(

So it's definitely a hassle. $79 is a great price if you don't have M5.. but to have it integrated into DP would be the Holy Grail.
Agree. But we got what we got. IF MOTU adds TS to DP, it's not likely to happen until V10. Even then, I'd rather have it as a AU plugin for $79 so I can use it with DSP-Q, Logic, etc. IRCAM advertises being able to use it in real time, so a plugin ought to be feasible.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
Killahurts wrote:Yep. AFAIK, MachFive doesn't even support dragging and dropping in DP :(

Agree. But we got what we got. IF MOTU adds TS to DP, it's not likely to happen until V10. Even then, I'd rather have it as a AU plugin for $79 so I can use it with DSP-Q, Logic, etc. IRCAM advertises being able to use it in real time, so a plugin ought to be feasible.
Something to investigate. I forgot it wasn't that much $$. Thanks!
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:IRCAM advertises being able to use it in real time, so a plugin ought to be feasible.
YES!

Having that as a AU and MAS plug-in in DP would be more than fantastic!

And I agree. This would be a strong point for MOTU when they give us DP10. This feature alone would add so much value and coolness factor!

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:IRCAM TS is at Don't Crack for $79. Perhaps it can be used as the external waveform editor in DP. Not as convenient as a plugin, but more convenient than using MachFive.
http://store.dontcrack.com/product_info ... ts_id=1680