MiGiC - New software guitar to MIDI application- Free beta

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wvandyck
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MiGiC - New software guitar to MIDI application- Free beta

Post by wvandyck »

http://www.bituosity.com/migic

Unlike the amazing Jam Origin MIDI Guitar app, MiGiC can use use either the AU or VST plug-in version in DP.

The VST version failed plug-in Examination but can be manually activated. No need to bother with this. Just use the AU version.

- Add a mono audio track. Monitor the input.
- Add an instrument track with options (including the MIDI track)
- Add the MiGiC AU plug-in to the audio track
- Play or record. Works great for single note passages.

My subjective impression is that MiGiC tracks faster than the MIDI Guitar app.

80-90% of my music production is with various MIDI guitar converters. The quest for tracking speed and accuracy has been an ongoing search for the holy grail over a period of years. Hence, a subjective positive impression is not to be taken lightly.... :lol:

Unless I'm missing something, it is only useful for single note passages at this time: bass, lead, and orchestral MIDI mockups - each note played individually vs. block chords. All video demos that I've viewed only show single note usage.

The interface has a very clean, easy-to-navigate layout.

Since this is a free public beta, be sure to provide Bituousity with feedback to help move the product to commercial release.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this company but am definitely excited to see more software solutions for MIDI guitar.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
monkey man

Re: MiGiC - New software guitar to MIDI application- Free be

Post by monkey man »

Thanks for this, wvandyck.

Given Melodyne's ability to extract note data from chords (at least, if I remember the hype several years back correctly), I'd have thought this plug would do the same. I mean, one could use DP's pitch data, copied from the audio's pitch layer, to create MIDI equivalents, can't one?

Perhaps the chordal-recognition thing is around the corner...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

MiGiC converts audio (guitar notes) to MIDI. As such, it's not an alternative to Melodyne.
In this case, the converter will produce harmonized MIDI notes which may be of more use to live players who wish to appear as the Wizard of Sonic OZ. Still very cool at any rate.

I noticed a Polyphonic button which is currently inactive. My best guess is that this will allow the user to play chords, and chord melodies.
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:I mean, one could use DP's pitch data, copied from the audio's pitch layer, to create MIDI equivalents, can't one?
Correct, you can do that Nicky. However, the MIDI guitar applications provide the ability for the guitar to act as a MIDI controller, and thus to hear the MIDI instrument output in real time (which is great for tracking and for writing).
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

billf wrote:
monkey man wrote:I mean, one could use DP's pitch data, copied from the audio's pitch layer, to create MIDI equivalents, can't one?
Correct, you can do that Nicky. However, the MIDI guitar applications provide the ability for the guitar to act as a MIDI controller, and thus to hear the MIDI instrument output in real time (which is great for tracking and for writing).
Aah... of course! There I was picturing it as a plug for playback conversion only as opposed to a real-time doobywacky. Thank you, Billy.
wvandyck wrote:MiGiC converts audio (guitar notes) to MIDI. As such, it's not an alternative to Melodyne.
I know, mate. I clearly meant that the fact that Melodyne can extract individual notes from polyphonic material saw my being surprised that this app couldn't do the same as part of the process, the trickiest part after all.
wvandyck wrote:In this case, the converter will produce harmonized MIDI notes which may be of more use to live players who wish to appear as the Wizard of Sonic OZ. Still very cool at any rate.

I noticed a Polyphonic button which is currently inactive. My best guess is that this will allow the user to play chords, and chord melodies.
There you go. I did suggest I'd expect to see this down the road sometime due to my earlier point. The technology's been there for years; as it's refined these sorts of applications will become ever more responsive and accurate.

Thank you again, wvandyck, for letting us know about this. Who knows, in the fullness of time something like this could well be an attractive alternative to, say, Roland's MIDI pickups; for some it no doubt already is, but only for monophonic input...

billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:Who knows, in the fullness of time something like this could well be an attractive alternative to, say, Roland's MIDI pickups; for some it no doubt already is, but only for monophonic input...
One can hope that happens Nicky. The advantage of this plugin (which I've yet to try, but will) and Jam Origin is it opens up all our cool VI's to be controlled easily by a regular guitar. No Frankenstrats required. :lol:

I do have the Jam Origin software, and in practice there are still nagging issues with tracking on polyphonic (e.g. chords) and fast notes. As for this plugin, perhaps it will handle those with ease. Also Jam Origin is continuing to develop their offerings, so it's all looking better for guitarists.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Thanks for this, wvandyck.

Given Melodyne's ability to extract note data from chords (at least, if I remember the hype several years back correctly), I'd have thought this plug would do the same. I mean, one could use DP's pitch data, copied from the audio's pitch layer, to create MIDI equivalents, can't one?

Perhaps the chordal-recognition thing is around the corner...
Melodyne doesn't have to do that in real time. It can look at the whole wave and see the pitch info. When you play a note, it take some time before a full cycle has happened. For the sixth string, that takes 11 msec before any pitch analysis can happen, and we'd have to assume the algorithm would want to see at least two cycles. Figuring out the pitch of one string in near real time is a feat in itself. Six at a time has to be near impossible.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Nearly impossible... but I hear you loud and clear Stoiv.

Maybe when processing's fast enough, if it isn't already, adaptive algorithms could determine said pitches using just one cycle, even if it meant playing a "sample" riff or whatever first for analysis. A sort of refining, tuning-in process, if you will. I know I'd be looking at this if I were a dev...

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Maybe when processing's fast enough, if it isn't already, adaptive algorithms could determine said pitches using just one cycle, even if it meant playing a "sample" riff or whatever first for analysis. A sort of refining, tuning-in process, if you will. I know I'd be looking at this if I were a dev...
Some time ago I spoke to the people who developed the IVL Pitchrider, which I had. They did use an algorithm that looked for one cycle, and tried to set the pitch on that basis. Even so, their view was the time taken for one cycle on the lower notes on a guitar is enough to produce noticeable latency.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996_ar ... 6/ivl.html
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

monkey man wrote: Thank you again, wvandyck, for letting us know about this. Who knows, in the fullness of time something like this could well be an attractive alternative to, say, Roland's MIDI pickups; for some it no doubt already is, but only for monophonic input...
Monkey man,

Thank you for your kind words!

The Jam Origin MIDI Guitar app performs at least as well my Roland GI-20 /piezo equipped guitar combo. In terms of the tracking speed and accuracy of a software application, we're already there.

The MiGiC application has equal or better tracking than the Roland. The Roland is still around but is no longer in regular use.

The issue with software guitar to MIDI converters at the moment is that they are unable to function in mono mode: one channel per guitar string for a total of channels. Mono mode offers independent control of velocity and pitch bend among other things.

However, I've used poly mode, one channel for all six strings, since the days of the Alesis MMT8 hardware sequencer. It was too much of a headache back then trying to manage MIDI data viewed through a small LCD.

Exciting times.
Last edited by wvandyck on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billf

Post by billf »

wvandyck wrote:The MiGiC application has equal or better tracking than the Roland. The Roland is still around but is no longer in regular use.
That sounds promising wvandyck. I might give the beta on this a try after I'm done with my current project.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

wvandyck wrote:Exciting times.
Indeed.

Whilst I use keys for tracking MIDI, I reckon it could be handy to be able to grab guitar DI phrases for spur-of-the-moment rendering, whether for instrument layering, replacement or whatever.

Hopefully, seeing as it's obviously more relevant to your workflow, refinement and efficiencies continue to enhance your experience, wvandyck. I'm sure they will.

Thanks again, mate.

wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

billf wrote:
wvandyck wrote: That sounds promising wvandyck. I might give the beta on this a try after I'm done with my current project.
Here's a quick comparison of software vs. hardware conversion: Chromatic passage from the open E string to the B on the 5th string.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dt52wawpwurum ... n.png?dl=0

Notice that the software conversion is tight and clean in the lowest first few notes compared to the hardware unit. Also no false triggers which are common with older hardware converters. The Fishman Triple Play is another story.