how to have editors "linked"

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
tusitala1982
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

how to have editors "linked"

Post by tusitala1982 »

Hi all, I'm on my last days of DP9 demo and considering buying it and switch definitively
to DP from Logic...they're very different programs with very different workflows so at first i got a little lost, but I'm slowly understanding DP and starting to love it.
I'm adjusting my workflow to DP and am quite happy overall but there's one thing I still haven't been able to do and wanted to ask you if anyone can help me:
I have a 3 monitors setup and keep my tracks overview with the list editor on the first, the score editor on the second, and the MIDI editor on the third...
In Logic I was able to have all my editors "linked" so that for example if I clicked on a note in the score editor this selection was reflected in the piano roll and in the list editor etc etc...same thing if i clicked on a note in the piano roll or on a MIDI region in the main arrange window.

I still haven't been able to achieve this in DP...by selecting the option to have one MIDI editor for the whole sequence I was able to have the MIDI editor show the notes i select in the tracks overview with double click, but the list editor still shows something else and have to manually go and look for the event i want to edit...

is there some sort of option i have to activate to have the editors "linked" and behave like this?

sorry if this is a newbie question but as stated I'm new to DP and considering taking the plunge.
thanks a lot in advance for your help
all the best
-t
musicman691

Re: how to have editors "linked"

Post by musicman691 »

I don't think you can link the various editors like you want; I'd love it if it happened though. The only linking I've found is one can have the editors scroll together following the window that's on top. But to show what note is being played in all editors - not that I've found. Then again there are so many functions DP can do that aren't really documented in the manual so who knows?
tusitala1982

Post by tusitala1982 »

thanks for your answer musicman691
maybe someone else can chime in
all the best!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

General automatic linking does not happen in DP. It is generally better to decide which windows are best suited for a task and stay with that one. But you can get a coordinated view of events in multiple windows in most instances if there is a need to see how changes in one window affect the view in another.

For a start, I assume you are seeing events selected on one window show as selected in other windows. But selecting different tracks in one window doesn't necessarily change the tracks displayed in another, if the other uses the mini menu (e.g. the Event list) to select tracks. But in this case you can have multiple instances of the Event list, and open it by right clicking selected events in the source window. The playheads in various windows are linked, but some windows may show insertion points but not the playhead position.

Most windows have mini menu options to display or edit selections in other windows. Not all possible links are available: e.g. you can select events in the SE and jump to QS, but not to the SE from QS. Some of these "links" depend on what you have set as default editors for different event types. Some are odd: you can select a soundbite in the SE and jump to the MIDI Editor.

A lot of the above can be done with key commands and window sets, and that will work OK if you want specific pairings or groups of windows, but again, if you need general linking, it's going to be awkward in DP.

I notice the latest version of Logic is "all linked all the time", and appears to have removed the link buttons.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
tusitala1982

Post by tusitala1982 »

bayswater wrote:General automatic linking does not happen in DP. It is generally better to decide which windows are best suited for a task and stay with that one. But you can get a coordinated view of events in multiple windows in most instances if there is a need to see how changes in one window affect the view in another.

For a start, I assume you are seeing events selected on one window show as selected in other windows. But selecting different tracks in one window doesn't necessarily change the tracks displayed in another, if the other uses the mini menu (e.g. the Event list) to select tracks. But in this case you can have multiple instances of the Event list, and open it by right clicking selected events in the source window. The playheads in various windows are linked, but some windows may show insertion points but not the playhead position.

Most windows have mini menu options to display or edit selections in other windows. Not all possible links are available: e.g. you can select events in the SE and jump to QS, but not to the SE from QS. Some of these "links" depend on what you have set as default editors for different event types. Some are odd: you can select a soundbite in the SE and jump to the MIDI Editor.

A lot of the above can be done with key commands and window sets, and that will work OK if you want specific pairings or groups of windows, but again, if you need general linking, it's going to be awkward in DP.

I notice the latest version of Logic is "all linked all the time", and appears to have removed the link buttons.

thank you very much for your help bayswater!
all the best! :-)