Memory Playback Behavior

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Memory Playback Behavior

Post by Rick Cornish »

This one has bugged me for awhile: When I enter a time into the Memory Start field, DP automagically turns on Memory Cycle. I almost never use Memory Cycle and most often want to use Auto Rewind when I define a start time. Is there a way to change this so DP defaults to Auto Rewind when I enter a new Memory Start time?

(Now, if DP turned on Memory Cycle when I entered a Memory STOP time, that might be useful.)
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
FMiguelez

Re: Memory Playback Behavior

Post by FMiguelez »

Have you tried using the shortcuts F1 and F2 for Memory Start and Memory Stop respectively?

They can be set on the fly, even while DP is playing. This is the way I do it, and I've never encountered the issue with the Memory Cycle when setting start or stop locations.
This way you don't have to type anything at all, and it works particularly well with any of the usual spot location shortcuts, such as the dot trick, moving by markers and bars, etc.

You can control if you want Mem Start and Mem Stop on with keypad #s 7, 8 and 9 (I think 9 controls both).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

FMiguelez wrote:Have you tried using the shortcuts F1 and F2 for Memory Start and Memory Stop respectively?

They can be set on the fly, even while DP is playing. This is the way I do it, and I've never encountered the issue with the Memory Cycle when setting start or stop locations.
This way you don't have to type anything at all, and it works particularly well with any of the usual spot location shortcuts, such as the dot trick, moving by markers and bars, etc.

You can control if you want Mem Start and Mem Stop on with keypad #s 7, 8 and 9 (I think 9 controls both).
Thanks, and yes to all the above. I hit F1 to enter a time into the Memory Start and it turns on Memory Cycle. Yes—I do turn it off with the numeric keypad controls. Just would be nice if there was a way to make it not do that.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

There is actually a bug regarding this... http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=59410

I wonder if it's related, and I should check to see if this is fixed.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

To get around this, I use key commands that have combinations of arrows and modifier keys to move the memory locations, rather than set them. They can be moved individually, or together. Moving them doesn't change the cycle status. Moving a few bars is very simple. Moving many bars: shift one of the locators so the two are far apart, then move them as a pair.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8