drag and drop soundfiles in a row

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
solex
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

drag and drop soundfiles in a row

Post by solex »

hi there

I'm trying to figure that one out for a long time and still haven't found the solution :banghead: . Also was searching for a solution in the manual several times :rtfmmad: .
If I want to drag e.g. three soundfiles from the soundbites window to one track in a row (so not all of them starting at the same point, but subsequently) how do I do this! :D
I always thought I has to be a very easy solution, like pressing a modifyer key.
sooooo, if anyone has any hints...
FMiguelez

Re: drag and drop soundfiles in a row

Post by FMiguelez »

I don't know if this works FROM the SBs window (try it and let us know), but at least, once the SBs are in the same track, you can butt them together by "throwing" them with the Control key (you move a SB a little to the left while pressing Ctrl and release).

Maybe it works if you hold Control from the SBs window as you put them in the track? No estoy seguro...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
solex

Post by solex »

hi FMiguelez

Thanks for your reply. That doesn't work here. I tried what you said in the tracks window and the sequencer window. If I press ctrl then I can't select a sb in track view (pointer turns into a cross). If I click them, press ctrl and try to move them, it just moves them normally. In seq view the "finger" turns into a hand, but the behaviour does not change.
It would already help, if i could drag the files from the sb window to a track if they would automatically go to their original timestamp. But they all just stuck over each other.
Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

It can be a little tricky...

First, you click on the SB. Without releasing the mouse, press Control and move it a little to the left, as if you were going to move it manually, and THEN release the mouse with Control still pressed.

That's how I've done it, so unless it changed in DP9, this should work. Let us know.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

BTW, you mentioned they may have time stamps already. If this is the case, and you want to place them to the original stamps, simply get them in the TO window. Then, select them all, and engage the "move selected SBs to original time stamp". Bam! They all go where they must.

This also works for user time stamps if you stamped them yourself for this or other purposes.

solex

Post by solex »

ahhh! now I got it. My problem before was, that the tracks were at the beginning of the timeline and it seems you can only "throw" them to the left side.
Thanks a lot! It's not exactly what I was hoping for, but it's better than nothing. And I learned sth new today :arrrr: (throwing around sb for the rest of the day now I guess :D )
solex

Post by solex »

about the timestamp, yes, that I know. It's just that I would like to have the option when I want to drag files to the timeline to select whether I want them to be in new tracks or to have them in the same track (edit: well, that's obviously not a problem, with the two dragging options) and then the option, whether they should start a the same point, subsequently or at timestamp. I've been working with DP since 4.5 but this is one thing I never get used to. I don't know if I'm a rare case but I stumble about that problem all the time and I'm just so used to have this option when importing several audio files (from other DAW's in a studio I used to work). And I always assumed that there has to be a very easy solution to do that & I'm just too stupid to find it :).
But better the workarounds than nothing.
frankf

Post by frankf »

If you want to drag and drop multiple soundbites each to their own track, open the Sequence Editor, select them in the SB window and drag them to what MOTU calls the track panel, where the track name, routing, etc are shown not the main body of the window. Each soundbite will appear in its own track.

As far as dragging multiple SBs to the same track in a row, ask yourself in what order do you want the SBs? Even if DP placed them in a row arbitrarily, you'd have to do a lot of manual moving to get the SBs in the order you prefer. This is where Timestamps are great. If the SBs don't have them you can assign a user TS to them in the SB info window, then use "move to user time stamp" command. This only works, of course, if the Timestamps don't overlap. Alternately, you can drag each to their own track as I describe above, then drag each one to a master track using Ctrl-drag to abut them end to end.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
solex

Post by solex »

hi frank

thanks for trying to help. I know all of what you wrote already.

I sometimes get consolidated multitracks from other parties. If they've been recorded in one session it's no problem I can use the timestamps then. But sometimes I get 30 tracks per song, with 10 songs recorded in different sessions (= overlapping timestamps). What I usually do then is drag the first 30 tracks into the track overview window to create the 30 tracks. then import the next 30 tracks (so having 60 all together) and copy the second bunch to the first 30 tracks and so on. But what I would like to do is import all tracks to the sb window, sort them by name and then drag all 30 kickdrum files into one track subsequently. Continue with snare and so on...
magicd

Post by magicd »

There's actually a very easy way to do this. Open the Event Editor for the audio track and drag the soundbites into there. The soundbites will be all in a row, perfectly butted up against each other.

Dave
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Hence the nickname, "Magic."
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I didn't know you could drag from the finder to the Event List window. Cool tip. Thank you, Dave. 8)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
frankf

Post by frankf »

magicd wrote:There's actually a very easy way to do this. Open the Event Editor for the audio track and drag the soundbites into there. The soundbites will be all in a row, perfectly butted up against each other.

Dave
Well, well. Who knew? Not me. Thanks Dave!
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
solex

Post by solex »

magicd wrote:There's actually a very easy way to do this. Open the Event Editor for the audio track and drag the soundbites into there. The soundbites will be all in a row, perfectly butted up against each other.

Dave
AAAAhhhh!!!! :headbang:
Yes!!! Thank you magic (if not miraculous) dave!!
I KNEW there has to be a very easy way :dance: