Pro Tools | Control App, will it work with DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Pro Tools | Control App, will it work with DP?

Post by stubbsonic »

They just released this free DAW control app, and it says that it is compatible with certain "Eucon-enabled" DAWs. But it also says that not all Eucon-compatible software is "qualified".

It's free, so there's no cost in testing it with DP to see what it might allow. I guess we'll know pretty quickly if there's any use for it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pro-too ... 75761?mt=8
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Guitar Gaz

Re: Pro Tools | Control App, will it work with DP?

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I was signed up with Avid and got the free Pro Tools First version - couldn't get it to work properly without crashing. So not impressed with Avid's free offerings (or Pro Tools for that matter). So if this works great - but I wasted an evening with Pro Tools so steering clear of Avid...
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I get the impression that this is based on a protocol for mix/automation data via ethernet-- so without some kind of conversion, I don't expect DP would even know if something was going on.

It does claim compatibility with Logic Pro, which raises the question as to whether it might be usable with MainStage 3.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'm looking for something for the iPad so I tried it. The iPad app loaded OK, and then went into account creation mode. It asked me everything except blood type. Then it told me to download EU Control for my Mac and start that up. The instructions via email made no sense, but poking around Avid's site for 15 minutes I got logged in and found it. I tried to start up EU Control, but it issued a series of mysterious message and then said it could not load. After a couple of attempts at getting this to work, I've uninstalled.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
npj

Post by npj »

I just got it working in DP9.

Not the best install experience... The installer said it had failed but the EuControl Mac app launched anyway... then crashed...

Many EuControl crashes later... I got it working. I needed to open the Eucon prefs and set network interface to wifi. I also needed to add the Eucon driver in DP's control surface setup.

Have patience launching EuControl. I get the beachball for a good 5 secs before it comes to life. Also, DP needs to be the front most application for the App to connect.

In the iOS app, the 'Fader' button in the bottom right turns on a track-focus kind of fader. Whichever track is selected in DP will be the first track shown in the iOS app. Reminds me of the old Faderport. Pretty cool.

The only part of the iOS app that doesn't seem to work is the Tracktypes selection (top right menu, next to the settings). Selecting just MIDI or audio tracks etc doesn't show any tracks. I have to be showing 'all' tracks to be able to see any tracks at all.

Only other odd thing is that the iOS app is only showing Timecode and won't show bars/beats. Could be why DP isn't officially listed in the supported apps... It mostly works... but could be a work in progress.
bralston

Post by bralston »

For iPad control of DP, either Touch OSC (which is cheap but requires some customizing your setup for DP)....or a plug-in-play iPad option like Neyrinck's V-Control Pro are the two best options for iPad integration with DP. Lemur is good too but the setup is so easy for V-Control Pro that is really makes it ideal.

https://neyrinck.com/products/v-control-pro/
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Guitar Gaz wrote:I was signed up with Avid and got the free Pro Tools First version - couldn't get it to work properly without crashing. So not impressed with Avid's free offerings (or Pro Tools for that matter). So if this works great - but I wasted an evening with Pro Tools so steering clear of Avid...
Should have tried the 30 day free demo the regular PT. PT First does have issues so you're not alone. And looking at your system specs (particularly that Core 2 duo) no wonder you had problems with PT - it's a finicky program and only recently was it okayed for the latest version of Yosemite.