Has 'extract command' ever been fixed?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Has 'extract command' ever been fixed?

Post by labman »

Meaning the "Extract Tempo from MIDI command" under regions.

Is it feeling better now?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Has 'extract command' ever been fixed?

Post by FMiguelez »

Nope, my man from the lab...

I think it's worse than ever the poor abandoned thing :(

And it's too bad, because it makes me do a tiresome workaround to get the results this command could give me if it worked.

Come on, MOTU! This thing has been broken since at least DP4! :unicorn: :smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
labman

Post by labman »

Arghhhhhh. I need something like that now !
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Have to send the MIDI to a vi, freeze it and get the tempo from the audio. New advanced workflow :lol:
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
labman

Post by labman »

Okay. Got it to work for us. Hey FM, Bayswater, et al... Try this when you get a minute.

- Play in a rubato something or other idea into a MIDI trk.
- This is important (at least it was for us) - then lock that MIDI track!
- set the region you wish to extract tempo from
- do the extract tempo command under region menu (oops in DP9, it is now called "set sequence tempo from MIDI")
- DP will write the tempos into conductor track

- later you can then 'unlock' the MIDI track if you need to do any punches to that original source track, and it will stay put just fine now. Before doing the tempo extraction, I froze the MIDI track so I could compare the MIDI post extraction to the frozen audio file, and it worked fine. At least for this piece.

I suggested to MOTU that they put the 'lock the source MIDI track' tip thing in the pdf manual. Would have saved me a lot of time. :wink:
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Will do. I usually start with a rubato track and thought using MIDI to extract tempo would be better than using audio because you don't have to worry about where the transients are, but it never seemed to work.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

labman wrote:Okay. Got it to work for us. Hey FM, Bayswater, et al... Try this when you get a minute.
Ha! I almost missed this!

I will certainly try it. Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Seems to work. If it gives the same tempo maps as you get from beats in the same position, this could save time.
labman

Post by labman »

One time so far, using the newly acquired 'lock the MIDI track', it didn't calculate clear to the end of sequence. For whatever reason, i have no idea. Other times it has worked just fine, and I compared it to doing the same piece by hand with adjust beats, and also record beats.