Slate Digital (for free plug-ins)??

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Slate Digital (for free plug-ins)??

Post by David Polich »

I was skeptical about this offer at first but I went ahead and took the bait last night. I ended up
getting two months free because I own two Slate products. Have to admit, it was cool to get all
the plugs. The installation via Gobbler app took some getting used to as I''ve never installed plugins
using that method before, but it was really smooth, and nice to see I could choose which ones to
install.

After thinking it over, I concur that at the end of the day, this really is a cheaper way to get the
plugins. Even if it costs $240/year each year, that's far less than I would spend buying them.
And personally, I like Steven a lot, having met him at NAMM shows. I think he's a talented
dude who puts out good products.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
scooter

Post by scooter »

Kubi,

Thanks for clarifying. It seems it's not explained that well, or I just didn't get the free part. I'll probably get in touch with them since I have a few of their plug ins and see what I qualify for.

S
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

My Gobbler account finally worked, and so I'm all set for the free four months. If this Lexicon 960 emulation is half as good as I expect, I'm going to be subscribing for a while.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
dix

Post by dix »

Gravity Jim wrote:I'm going to be subscribing for a while.
For awhile? The problem with the subscription model (or the upside for developers) is that you're obligated to stay subscribed for life. Unless you render every track that the plugins are on, any sequence that uses them will become obsolete if your subscription ever lapses.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

dix wrote:
For awhile? The problem with the subscription model (or the upside for developers) is that you're obligated to stay subscribed for life. Unless you render every track that the plugins are on, any sequence that uses them will become obsolete if your subscription ever lapses.
That's not true with Slate's offer. You get a $99 voucher per year to use to buy a permanent license (or two). You can start/stop your subscription at any time without penalty. They also sell normal licenses as well.

FWIW, I was the first to suggest the voucher addition and I'm quite happy they added it :)
dix

Post by dix »

Robert Randolph wrote:
dix wrote:For awhile? The problem with the subscription model (or the upside for developers) is that you're obligated to stay subscribed for life. Unless you render every track that the plugins are on, any sequence that uses them will become obsolete if your subscription ever lapses.
That's not true with Slate's offer. You get a $99 voucher per year to use to buy a permanent license (or two). You can start/stop your subscription at any time without penalty. They also sell normal licenses as well.

FWIW, I was the first to suggest the voucher addition and I'm quite happy they added it :)
Oh hey, that does help. If you use a lot of the plugins $99 is not that much. However, the fact you can you can stop and start without penalty would get you out of any jam you might get in if your subscription lapsed. The Eastwest cloud subscriptions deal obligates you in one-year chunks. That kinda sucks.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

Actually, I just learned that Eastwest revised their TOS. You can now get their cloud service month-to-month with no penalty to cancel.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

The Relab 480L emulation is very, very good. But I already own that, plus most of Slate's stuff (all that I want anyway). So it would not be a very good deal for me.. but if you don't have any Slate plugs, and especially if you don't have the Relab 480, you should consider this. Not the same as the "WUP" nonsense in the past.. this is actually a pretty cool offer.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Killahurts wrote:The Relab 480L emulation is very, very good. But I already own that, plus most of Slate's stuff (all that I want anyway). So it would not be a very good deal for me.. but if you don't have any Slate plugs, and especially if you don't have the Relab 480, you should consider this. Not the same as the "WUP" nonsense in the past.. this is actually a pretty cool offer.
If you own slate plug-ins, you get free months.

It's actually a very good deal for you :D
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Robert Randolph wrote:
Killahurts wrote:The Relab 480L emulation is very, very good. But I already own that, plus most of Slate's stuff (all that I want anyway). So it would not be a very good deal for me.. but if you don't have any Slate plugs, and especially if you don't have the Relab 480, you should consider this. Not the same as the "WUP" nonsense in the past.. this is actually a pretty cool offer.

I guess that's what I don't get.. why would I need "free months" for products I have an unlimited license to?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
billf

Post by billf »

Killahurts wrote:I guess that's what I don't get.. why would I need "free months" for products I have an unlimited license to?
I know what you mean, the marketing spin on this makes my head spin. Slate may be offering perpetual licenses for now, but so did Adobe, and we know how that has played out.

Fool me once, shame on you. Twice? No thanks.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

dix wrote:
Chill. If any of the plugs are things I just gotta have, I'll buy them. If I use them on a production and decide I don't need them, I can always replace it with another strip or EQ or whatever.

BTW, the 480 emulation is fantastic. I'm keeping it for sure.

And all this "Well, I know that everything that hasn't happened yet is going to" stuff is kind of silly. Steven Slate Digital isn't Adobe, not in any way.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
billf

Post by billf »

Gravity Jim wrote:And all this "Well, I know that everything that hasn't happened yet is going to" stuff is kind of silly. Steven Slate Digital isn't Adobe, not in any way.
Who said they are the same company? But excuse us who don't want to buy into the rental model. You like it, great. Go for it. Those of us who don't like it have a right to express our opinions without getting mocked or put down.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

billf wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:And all this "Well, I know that everything that hasn't happened yet is going to" stuff is kind of silly. Steven Slate Digital isn't Adobe, not in any way.
Who said they are the same company? But excuse us who don't want to buy into the rental model. You like it, great. Go for it. Those of us who don't like it have a right to express our opinions without getting mocked or put down.
"I know what you mean, the marketing spin on this makes my head spin. Slate may be offering perpetual licenses for now, but so did Adobe, and we know how that has played out.

Fool me once, shame on you. Twice? No thanks."

This is pure conjecture, and you're getting overheated over nothing. Nobody's mocking you. I just think your take on this is wrong.

Anyway, LX480 Complete is amazing. I'll likely buy it.
Jim Bordner

nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Killahurts wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:

I guess that's what I don't get.. why would I need "free months" for products I have an unlimited license to?
I think what you are getting is free months of being subscribed (ie, no cost) and during that time you have access to all plugins plus any new ones that come out.

Also, earlier in the thread someone said you get a $99 voucher "every year". Is that true? I thought he said you got one (or two) when you signed up/subscribed for the requisite period. If it is true, this becomes a real no brainer because if there is a plugin you can't live without, you can buy one at a substantial discount each year.

I'm leary of subscription models but I decided to give this a try. I own all of Slates plugins so got 6 months free. They didn't even ask for a credit card amazingly enough. I noticed it downloaded an entire new set of plugins, however my original iLok licenses were not touched. (An additional license was added to iLok I believe). Means the perpetual licenses are still in effect and unchanged should I leave. Nice.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com