Slate Digital (for free plug-ins)??

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
scooter
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Slate Digital (for free plug-ins)??

Post by scooter »

Hey there. I'm sure you Slate Digital users have gotten the email from them starring Steven Slate, about the free plug ins.

Don't get me wrong, I love his plug ins. I use the FG-X on everything i do but does he really have to stoop to false advertising??

This is just another Waves yearly coverage plan.

And what about all the users who have already laid out the cash for most of his products like maybe me, and now I'm gonna pay for most of those again with the yearly fee.

Hmmmm????

scooter
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
csavetman

Re: Slate Digital (for free plug-ins)??

Post by csavetman »

scooter wrote:Hey there. I'm sure you Slate Digital users have gotten the email from them starring Steven Slate, about the free plug ins.

Don't get me wrong, I love his plug ins. I use the FG-X on everything i do but does he really have to stoop to false advertising??

And what about all the users who have already laid out the cash for most of his products like maybe me, and now I'm gonna pay for most of those again with the yearly fee.

Hmmmm????

scooter
Not really. You don't have to keep paying to use the plugins you already purchased outright. Those are yours. I believe there is some kind of pro rated price if you already own a bunch of Slate plugins towards the bundle price if I understood correctly from the video. Haven't fully checked it out yet, however.

Carlos
dix

Post by dix »

It's a subscription model. Seems to be the thing days. ProTools, Adobe, Eastwest etc. Not to mention Apple! I'm not sure what I think about it. ....what happens if you don't renew? All the sessions that use the plugins are screwed.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
billf

Post by billf »

dix wrote:It's a subscription model. Seems to be the thing days. ProTools, Adobe, Eastwest etc. Not to mention Apple! I'm not sure what I think about it. ....what happens if you don't renew? All the sessions that use the plugins are screwed.
Apple rents software?

Anyway, this is Slate WUP, and might be worse than Waves WUP if it is a mandatory renewal to keep plugins working once the rental period is over. I certainly won't be signing up, and if Slate forces it on us like Adobe did, it's time to move on.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
billf

Post by billf »

scooter wrote:does he really have to stoop to...

I watched the video linked in the email, and I'm not too happy with how this was done. It's making me think twice about investing anything more into Slate plugins.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
dix

Post by dix »

billf wrote:Apple rents software?
Apple Music is subscription-based.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I already own all the Slate stuff except this new one, so I was thinking, "What? The?" Glad I saw this before wasting my time.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Baffled by the negativity... :?

It's a great addition to their offerings. It simply adds the ability to rent the entire line for $20 a month (or $24 a month without the reverb), which includes a rebate of about $8 (or $16) per month toward the purchase price, if you rent for more than 12 months - and that doesn't have to be contiguous. It also includes a free iLok 2 shipped anywhere in the world if you rent for more than two months.

I own all Slate plugs, so they let me have four months for free, which basically lets me try out their new EQs for shits 'n giggles.

Very different from WUP in that this is an *added* option to use the plugs, not some ongoing fee to keep using what you already own.

So if it's not for you, you can just keep buying the plug-ins outright. Which I probably will. I have so far.

But I think this is one company's smart and fair answer to piracy, which remains a very tempting "solution" for those short on cash but long on good taste in plug-ins. As he puts it, those folks can now rent the plugs in the months they need them for the cost of a pizza.

What's not to like? More power to Steven.

:smash:
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
billf

Post by billf »

dix wrote:
Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Kubi's post made me go check it out, and I'm glad I did. I get 4 months free, I don't have all the plugs (many which I'm pretty interested in) and if I can't live without some of them in 4 months, I'll either buy them or continue the plan.

This is actually a good thing. My sons both use the entire Adobe Creative Suite in their work, and when Adobe announced the sub model, a lot of guys went postal. But my boys both say, "Hey, I get the entire CCS for what it would cost me to update Photoshop every year. It's really more economical.

So, yeah, I went for it. Looking forward to trying out the stuff I don't have!
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
billf

Post by billf »

Gravity Jim wrote: My sons both use the entire Adobe Creative Suite in their work, and when Adobe announced the sub model, a lot of guys went postal.
It's about choice.

With Adobe, the reason people are upset, and many have left, is because the subscription model was forced on people. And if you stopped paying the rent, the apps stop working. In the beginning, the rental was optional, and few signed up. But Adobe owns so much of the graphics design market that they can afford to throw their weight around (for now, but the market will catch up because that "postal" crowd still wants choices).

Once the subscription numbers flatten out though, the way to increase revenue with their model is to raise prices or revive perpetual licenses. It remains to be seen how all that will work out long term.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yeah, well, my kids are both big-time west coast creative professionals, and for now and the foreseeable future, it works great.

The only part of this Slate thing that is putting a huge UX dent in the mix is the gosh darn, no-good, rotten Gobbler service. Tried everything and can't log in. Maddening in the extreme. Nice fresh confirmed account and it still won't recognize me.
Jim Bordner

bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

I own several Slate plugs, hate subscription models, and I’m still pretty sure I’m going for this. I really can’t see a downside, or how they could be any more accommodating.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Geez... I am a registered FG-X and SSD4 EX owner and didn't get any email about this. Does anyone have a link?

Nevermind... found info on Slate's site.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

dix wrote:
In other words, it's not the same thing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro