Slate Digital (for free plug-ins)??

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Slate Digital (for free plug-ins)??

Post by Killahurts »

nk_e wrote:I think what you are getting is free months of being subscribed (ie, no cost) and during that time you have access to all plugins plus any new ones that come out.
So I just purchased the virtual mix channel a couple months ago. It came with 2 compressors, 2 EQs and the free "Revival" plug. As I was purchasing, I watched the video where State describes the modules and assures us that there are many new ones on the way. This is also the case with virtual console collection, which I also purchased years ago and which now operates within the waveshell, er.. I mean the virtual mix channel. Does this new model mean that when new modules come out for the channel, or for VCC, I won't be eligible for them because I'm not subscribed?

i.e., is it the end of free updates for current license owners if they don't subscribe? Guess I'm still trying to figure out why I would want to do this. Only thing I can think of is that the ability to purchase the plugs will ultimately go away, in favor of the "pay us monthly" model.

This is exactly what Adobe did, and they are making way more money, with way less responsibility to update and service their professional products (not saying Slate would do that). Companies can't ignore the fact that one-time sales are hard to project and manage, but monthly subscriptions are where all the money is.

Am I just still not getting it?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Killahurts wrote:
nk_e wrote:I think what you are getting is free months of being subscribed (ie, no cost) and during that time you have access to all plugins plus any new ones that come out.
>SNIP<

...Does this new model mean that when new modules come out for the channel, or for VCC, I won't be eligible for them because I'm not subscribed?

i.e., is it the end of free updates for current license owners if they don't subscribe? Guess I'm still trying to figure out why I would want to do this. Only thing I can think of is that the ability to purchase the plugs will ultimately go away, in favor of the "pay us monthly" model.

This is exactly what Adobe did, and they are making way more money, with way less responsibility to update and service their professional products (not saying Slate would do that). Companies can't ignore the fact that one-time sales are hard to project and manage, but monthly subscriptions are where all the money is.

Am I just still not getting it?
Well a couple of things: First, I don't recall the purchase of VCC as giving us access to new modules for the channel for free. I always thought additional modules we would have to pay for. Second, I don't think this changes anything for perpetual license holders. We still have the option to purchase any plug-ins they come out with. Slate will (presumably) make updates available for all owners as well as subscribers. (It would be business suicide not to do so.)

Best bet to ask the man himself. Steven Slate actually DOES respond to emails. It may take a little while. (And they are always short, curt, and to the point, but since he gets a lot of them, I guess they have to be.) There's also a guy over there named Nick Alberti (nicolas@stevenslate.com), the Director of Sales who could probably answer your questions.

Hope that helps.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
dix wrote:
billf wrote:Apple rents software?
Apple Music is subscription-based.
In other words, it's not the same thing.
I have to agree with dix in one way: if you listen to Mr. Slate's analysis of the market, he is pointing out that just selling digital products as if they were widgets is not a sustainable business model. He focuses on the price to customers, but underlying that message is the revenue risk to providers. Piracy is rampant, and development, if not distribution costs are high. So monthly subscriptions may be the answer, or maybe not. At least Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, Waves, and now Slate appear to think it's worth a try. IBM knew this 50 years ago. It's too bad for those of us who pay for digital products as if they were widgets, but there aren't enough of us.

You have to hand it to Slate. He's obviously listened to the objections to subscription services and done about the best anyone can to deal with them. Sure you have to trust him. But you have to trust everyone else too -- to provide updates and support, and not to amend licenses.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

It's also a way to get those who are short on cash to do the right thing. It's not a coincidence he compares the cost of the monthly subscription to the cost of a pizza... He knows that most of the people using cracks are people who really *are* short on cash, many are young, and simply can't resist the temptation. He's offering an easy way to do the right thing.

The biggest difference between Slate and Adobe is the competition. Adobe has a virtual monopoly on some categories of software. Slate - not even close. My guess is he would not get rid of the ownership model even if he wanted to. Pros like to own, and Slate has the competition breathing down its neck.

My guess is that new gear models that are added to VMR will be paid upgrades for owners, and "free" for renters. Ditto for major updates, as we're accustomed to.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Kubi wrote:It's also a way to get those who are short on cash to do the right thing. It's not a coincidence he compares the cost of the monthly subscription to the cost of a pizza... He knows that most of the people using cracks are people who really *are* short on cash, many are young, and simply can't resist the temptation. He's offering an easy way to do the right thing.

The biggest difference between Slate and Adobe is the competition. Adobe has a virtual monopoly on some categories of software. Slate - not even close. My guess is he would not get rid of the ownership model even if he wanted to. Pros like to own, and Slate has the competition breathing down its neck.

My guess is that new gear models that are added to VMR will be paid upgrades for owners, and "free" for renters. Ditto for major updates, as we're accustomed to.
Really good post Kubi.. I hadn't thought about making it easy to "do the right thing" as you say. I have known people who use cracked software, who would do this if they could.

And just because it's not really a very good deal for me now, doesn't mean it might not be next year.. depends on what new stuff they come out with. I'm just automatically adverse to monthly payments because every company wants them and after you have enough of them, you can go broke really fast.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
scooter

Post by scooter »

I might disagree with his advertising tactics. But I'm trying out the Virtual mix rack right now and it sounds great, very high quality. I'd put them on a scale a little higher than my Waves plugs and I love them.

s
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.