Track color change

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

Re: Track color change

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
bayswater wrote:Page 116 deals with track colours. Page 170 shows the options for track group settings, including track colour. The manual rarely gets into explanations of using features in combination.
Thanks for the info. So I have to use the Tracks screen to change color this way and not the sequence editor? I was using the se screen color picker to make the change and that's what was crashing DP. If that's the way it's supposed to work that's not too cool. Should be able to do the deed in both screens.
No, it works in the Sequence Editor too. I'm just in the habit of doing all the track setup, routing etc in the TO, and using the Sequence Editor for arranging.
Interesting because like I said DP crashes when I try this in the SE. Not a huge fan of the TO; the SE is where I do the majority of my routing and such. But such is life - we each have our own way of working and neither is wrong.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

One is just more efficient and the way the program was designed. You guys can figure out which is which.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:One is just more efficient and the way the program was designed. You guys can figure out which is which.
Efficient only works if it's efficient for the way one works. If something takes one out of their workflow then that's not efficient for that person.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:One is just more efficient and the way the program was designed. You guys can figure out which is which.
Efficient only works if it's efficient for the way one works. If something takes one out of their workflow then that's not efficient for that person.
True, but sometimes experimenting with a different workflow in different apps leads to greater efficiency. I can't use the same workflow with Logic and DP -- well I could, but it would be an uphill battle. Coming from Cubase, the TO looked like a non starter to me, but now I use it for the basic configuration because whenever you switch to that window, using a window set, it always looks the same and I'll know where everything is.

If you have a very large template with a complicated folder structure, the TO can be useful as a simple track list. For that, I put it at the left side of the screen as a separate tall narrow window that shows only the track names, and the play and record status.

But as you say, we all use DP differently, and that's fine.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Of course it's fine. I find the SE rather clunky when working with MIDI and when working in a lot of tracks at once it's just plain obtuse, IMO. But by all means, if it floats your boat, go for it. Then again complaining that a feature isn't working as well in the SE should be a red flag that "maybe" there's a better way. Or not.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Of course it's fine. I find the SE rather clunky when working with MIDI and when working in a lot of tracks at once it's just plain obtuse, IMO. But by all means, if it floats your boat, go for it. Then again complaining that a feature isn't working as well in the SE should be a red flag that "maybe" there's a better way. Or not.
Better way for you - and that's fine. I wasn't complaining at all but whatever.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Robert Randolph wrote:I mistyped.
OK, so it's Miss State vs Miss Spoke vs Miss Typed.

My money's still on Trump. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here