DP9 release event in Los Angeles 2015

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9 release event in Los Angeles 2015

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Nice event at Westlake Pro in Universal City last evening. Matt LaPoint and Magic Dave were there with some special guests. One lucky guy walked out having won an Ultralite AVB! Even BK Shepard was there.

Dave walked us through the hardware line for a few minutes. Wow! It ain't just for tracking anymore.

Then the tag team went through DP9 in some depth, with a great primer on MX4. It goes far beyond being just a synth. I need to think of it for processing as well now. Thanks, MagicD.

A few TV cues were demo'd with moderately large templates. The composer Joey Newman shared his work flow tips and how he delivers scores, generally. He writes for The Mystery of Laura (NBC?) and while I rarely watch network TV I know that show as one of the students I worked a lot with while at UCSB is a writer and guest star. Even before last night, I was impressed with his great scoring.

The room was jam packed with some pretty heavy hitters. I spotted Charles Bernstein and my bud Gary Stockdale.

Dave demo'd a lot with bass & lead guitar. The man can play! It was well worth spending the time to trudge out there and learn from Matt & Dave what's under the hood of this beast we call DP.

Thanks, MOTU!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BobK

Re: DP9 release event in Los Angeles 2015

Post by BobK »

Cool. Thanks for the report.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
MIDI Life Crisis

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Yes, thanks for that, MLC.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Darn it, MLC, I was there and I forgot to take note that you were too.

Yes, it was a good presentation. I just had to go back home and fire up MX4 again. The newest
VI's like Output, Saurus, and Carbon Electra all claim to mix "analog and digital" in amazing ways but MX4 beats them, in terms of both sound and features. Did I say sound? Yes, it's about the sound. Without that, the features mean nothing.

No need to go buy another hybrid synth. We have one right here in DP9. And (spoken in Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) "it izz not hard on duh CPU".

Sorry I missed saying hello.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Yeah, it was a great example of the cool features in DP9. I've been using this app since 1992 long before "Digital" was added to the name and I still learn new things at these events. Thanks MOTU!
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Danke, Magilla!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

Was a great meeting and turn out. Wish I knew who was who, I would have said hi.

Great to have Mr. Miller from MOTU there as well.

Hope some of you will stop by on Thursdays...
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

One of the things I was intrigued by was mention of an iPad app called V-Control Pro by Neyrinck. Have any of you used it? With DP9? Is it worth the $50 price tag?
-Brian

MIDI Life Crisis

David Polich wrote:Darn it, MLC, I was there and I forgot to take note that you were too.

Bummer! Yeah, that would have been very nice. I was towards the back in a very flowery shirt sitting next to some guy with like green or purple gel on his toe nails. He seemed very knowledgable and friendly. I suppose we cut quite a figure together. LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

bkshepard wrote:One of the things I was intrigued by was mention of an iPad app called V-Control Pro by Neyrinck. Have any of you used it? With DP9? Is it worth the $50 price tag?
I've used it with other DAWs, it didn't play nicely with DP for me, but I also am limited to an older version of the software since I only have an iPad gen1.

When it does work, it's awesome (like with PT). I suspect the latest version likely works well.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

bkshepard wrote:One of the things I was intrigued by was mention of an iPad app called V-Control Pro by Neyrinck. Have any of you used it? With DP9? Is it worth the $50 price tag?
To answer your questions:
Yes. No, just DP8+. Yes (IMO).

I'm also investing (haven't yet) in TouchOSC.
And this template.

I still wish MOTU would have fixed DP Control as part of the 9 upgrade, but oh well...

Now that they have done the LA event, when is MOTU going to come to Melbourne and run an event for the 3 of us down here?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Thanks BKK. People spoke quite highly of it, and apparently there's a DP "template" for it. However, according to the Apple store, it hasn't been updated since last year, so I wondered if there were any problems with 9.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
David Polich wrote:Darn it, MLC, I was there and I forgot to take note that you were too.

Bummer! Yeah, that would have been very nice. I was towards the back in a very flowery shirt sitting next to some guy with like green or purple gel on his toe nails. He seemed very knowledgable and friendly. I suppose we cut quite a figure together. LOL
Damn Hippies!
-Brian

MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

I certainly wish there was a video available of this presentation. In fact I wish there were videos of all the MOTU presentations made available even if they were rough. I always enjoy and learn something from the NAMM videos that usually get posted.
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
MIDI Life Crisis

Someone did make a pro video while this was login on. Whether or not MOTU will release it is another story. I think it would be a great idea to do so. there's some stuff I'd like to watch again and see WTF was going on.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS