How can I give the impression of stereo from a mono song??

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How can I give the impression of stereo from a mono song??

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

I recorded my niece, and she turned out to have a great voice!

The problem is that the pista (the song minus the vocal), for some strange reason, is not in stereo. It has both sides, but the same info comes out of both speakers.

My tools are Waves Platinum and DP's plugs. How can I give the impression of stereo?

Also, the main problem, is that, since everything is in the center, every instrument seems to be over and fighting my poor niece's voice, so I'd like to lower the center and move some of it to the sides.
Any suggestions to fix this?

Thank you!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
monkey man

Re: How can I give the impression of stereo from a mono song

Post by monkey man »

Look into M-S processing, 'Nandito. I believe your Waves plugs should provide some options here. If not, there are freebies out there that can apparently be used in a pinch.

Someone who actually knows a thing or two about it will surely chime in...

Alternatively, you could try "manually" filtering the highs out for the centre and panning them to the edges. Obviously you could do this by duplicating the backing track/s, HPF / LPFing them and recombining them. The M-S processing built into some plugs will do this sort of thing but allow you much more control and phase coherence.

Strap on your propellor-cap, and good luck, bro'!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I use PSP Pseudo-Stereo for this. There appear to be many similar plugins around, some of them free.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

bayswater wrote:I use PSP Pseudo-Stereo for this. There appear to be many similar plugins around, some of them free.
Not only are there several plugins, but there are several different techniques as well. I'd try a few of the free ones to see which technique works best for your situation then use that one, or purchase one (if you prefer) that uses the same or similar technique.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If it's a none critical project, you could play around with multiple copies of the in each channel (L & R) and EQ away various highs and lows, the add in a very slight amount of delay differently in each. Leave the dominant track - in terms of clarity - unaffected, so it stays in sync with the vocal.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

There is a plugin called "Micro Shift" (I think...900 miles away from the studio.), that may be of service to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Micro shift is great. Sound Toys, I think.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

MicroShift is nice, also Eventide's UltraChannel has that capability (in case you picked it up when it was a freebee).
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
billf

Post by billf »

Waves make a plugin called Center which might help. I don't think it is in Platinum, though you should be able to run the demo for a few days and see if it helps.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If the accompaniment track is dry, you can add a little wide reverb. And tasteful reverb on the vocal for sure.

I'm usually hesitant to use delays because of how they can mess up the sound- especially in the center. M-S doesn't do anything when the source is mono; but there are probably some techniques I don't know about.

I'd suggest using a little EQ that is a little different on each side. At the same time you can carve out a little space for the vocal. You could also pan the vocal a little to one side and the adjust the balance of the accompaniment a little to the other. Not much though. That'll give a little more separation.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thank you for your answers, guys.

Yes. The accompaniment track is totally mono.
Phil O wrote:Not only are there several plugins, but there are several different techniques as well. I'd try a few of the free ones to see which technique works best for your situation then use that one, or purchase one (if you prefer) that uses the same or similar technique.
I would like to start by identifying them.
So, from the answers I've gotten so far, I gather there are at least the following techniques:

1.- Messing with the track's M-S with a plug-in.
I just remembered we have a plug-in in DP that does just that (Spatial Maximizer). I'll try it, but, as noted by Stubbsonic, this won't work in this case because the M and S are the same (truly mono).
Is this the case? Can I still do something using this technique?

2.- Separating and filtering the signal differently, as suggested by MLC. I will check this. I think one of Waves' EQs (Q10) has a preset just for this, IIRC.
I suppose most of the suggested "stereorizer" plugins work using this principle?

3.- Adding a touch of early reflections.
And then try to lower the bass frequencies on the sides?

4.- Doubling the track and delaying the copy...
I'll try it, but I'm skeptical this would work because of the weirdness of the introduced phase issues. Unless I find a "magic" spot...

Any other technique that I should know about to try to fix this?
I will report on my results ASA I'm able to open that project again.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Incidentally, Melda has a free bundle that includes a decent stereo scope. I upgraded to the paid version so I can't remember what the limitations are on the free version, but it was short money for the upgrade. Some great plugins in the bundle, too.

http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/ ... ectsBundle

Also, Google "psuedo stereo techniques."

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

http://www.waves.com/plugins/ps22-stereo-maker

Waves PS22 is a very nice solution in this situation. Mono-compatible. If you've got Waves Platinum, you've got PS22. Used to be PT only, but added to the native quiver some time back.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

FMiguelez wrote:1.- Messing with the track's M-S with a plug-in.
I just remembered we have a plug-in in DP that does just that (Spatial Maximizer). I'll try it, but, as noted by Stubbsonic, this won't work in this case because the M and S are the same (truly mono).
Is this the case? Can I still do something using this technique?
If it's not the case, I'm sorry, 'Nandito!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I've run into this exact situation before. here's the solution (not great, but it works):

1. Bounce the track to mono. You can do this by setting up a mono track, enabling a mono
recording bus for it, then assign one of the sends for the source track to that mono bus.

2. Record the bounce in real time to the destination track.

3. Now with the resulting track, you can insert a mono-to-stereo plugin on it and adjust to
taste.

4. Now buss this track to a new stereo audio track. Record a pass in real-time to the new
destination track.

5. You now have a "stereo" track.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com