Quickscribe Questions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
tusitala1982
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Quickscribe Questions

Post by tusitala1982 »

Hi, is there a way to hide keyswitches (usually very low and very high notes) to have a less cluttered Quickscribe window view?

i'm using the DP9 demo and see if it could suit my workflow for composing orchestral scores using VSL instruments.

thanks in advance for your help
all the best
Last edited by tusitala1982 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
nk_e
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: how to hide keyswitches in quickscribe editor

Post by nk_e »

I have not tried this in DP, but in Logic you can limit the range in which a particular staff displays notes. So if the instrument plays only from middle c to c5 for instance, you restrict the staff to dislaying only those pitches and the key switches will not appear.

Let me know if it works!

Cheers

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

reedster

Post by reedster »

you could put the keyswitches on a separate track
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Or you can select the notes and make them "play-only" (so they are hidden from the score). Use a shortcut to do it quickly.

The Search command may be handy to find the keyswitches in many tracks across a time-range selection.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
tusitala1982

Post by tusitala1982 »

thank you very much to everybody.
Yes Logic makes it easy by choosing the appropriate range for every instrument.
but putting the keyswitching notes to "playback only" did the trick, thanks!

Since i'm just starting to try DP for the first time in a score oriented workflow, could i ask you a few more questions?

1) i noticed that when the track count increases a lot, there seems to be not enough vertical space to fit them all and some of them get cut out...of course i know i could select less, but i like to select them all so that the page resembles that of an orchestral score...am i missing some sort of zoom or layout preference?

2) is there a way to step input notes in a position that i want by clicking there and start inputting them, instead of having to insert them in the bar/beat position specified by the step-input window? another quite annoying thing is that the step-input windows goes in the background as soon as i click on another track so that it doesn't input notes anymore, i have to bring it on focus and then i can start inputting again...

thanks a lot again for your precious help
all the best!
tusitala1982

Re: hide keyswitches in quickscribe editor and other questio

Post by tusitala1982 »

Hi, i was able to sort out my previous questions by myself.
there's a couple more i need to ask:

1) I built my fairly large template and thanks to the Custom Page Setup I built a very big virtual paper to fit all my tracks. My problem now it that when the Quickscribe page scrolls to the next one, the focus goes away from where it was and i suppose it goes to the center of the page...so if for example i was following the piano track, after scrolling to the next page the focus goes to the brass part of the score and i have to manually scroll to the piano staff in order to keep following it.

2) now i was able to hide my keyswitches turning them into "play only" notes, and quickscribe hides theme from the score BUT the staves have a way bigger distance from each other, as if there would still be the notes there.

Is there any way to fix this behaviours?

thanks a lot for your help
all the best!