Does DP9 add any Chunk options?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JLEpperson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Does DP9 add any Chunk options?

Post by JLEpperson »

I use DP 8 for live performance. Maneuvering songs in the chunks menu is a chore, especially since we have over 90 songs. You cant drag a song from top to bottom of the list because there no scrolling. Cant use arrow keys. It is not user friendly at all for this application. I understand that most users are not using chunks for this purpose, but hoping DP9 might have addressed some of these issues.
Thanks
JE
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Does DP9 add any Chunk options?

Post by David Polich »

JLEpperson wrote:I use DP 8 for live performance. Maneuvering songs in the chunks menu is a chore, especially since we have over 90 songs. You cant drag a song from top to bottom of the list because there no scrolling. Cant use arrow keys. It is not user friendly at all for this application. I understand that most users are not using chunks for this purpose, but hoping DP9 might have addressed some of these issues.
Thanks
JE
No "new chunk features" as far as I know (maybe I missed some). But there is an easy solution to your problem. You can assign computer keys to call up chunks.

Open DP. Under the "Setup" window, select the "Commands" window. Scroll way down toward the bottom of the lists. Right below "Audio System Choice" you will see "Bounce Settings", and right below that you will see "Chunk Selection". Here, you can assign any combination of Mac keys to call up a chunk.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
JLEpperson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JLEpperson »

I would like to do that, but we have approx 90 songs and I want it to be hands free when we start a set. We go from song to song. I think you mean each note on the keyboard would start a assigned chunk.
Thanks
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Search in the COMMANDS window for NEXT CHUNK.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

If you want it to be hands free, Chunk Chaining is your friend.

You preset your chunk order and setup a manual (or use the Automatic) end time. When the song is done, the next song starts.

I personally prefer to leave all my songs with blank at the end and manually hit the NEXT chunk button as MLC states. I never hit the stop button and it goes pretty smoothly from one song to another. You just make sure you're not using any esoteric plugins on your live setup and chunk changes should be pretty fast even with a large track count.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

JLEpperson wrote:I would like to do that, but we have approx 90 songs and I want it to be hands free when we start a set. We go from song to song. I think you mean each note on the keyboard would start a assigned chunk.
Thanks
No, I mean keys on your laptop...starting with the numeric keys.

Curious as to why you have 90 songs....I've never been in a band that needed that many songs.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com