How to start play/spacebar from a footswitch?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JLEpperson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How to start play/spacebar from a footswitch?

Post by JLEpperson »

I use DP 8 for live performance. I would like to program hitting the space bar via a footswitch or from my novation keyboard. I do use a MIDI interface. I would prefer it to be a footswitch. Any help would be great.
Thanks
mikeka
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to start play/spacebar from a footswitch?

Post by mikeka »

Try using DP's 'wait' function. Playback can be started from a sustain pedal, from a MIDI keyboard, or any MIDI activity.
DP 8.07 64 bit, OS 10.10.5, Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 3.33ghz, 16GB ram, lots 'o plugs and VIs
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

On my old Motu 828 Classic, there's a jack socket to receive a footswitch for that purpose.

Nowadays, I use a Keith McMillen SoftStep
http://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/softstep/
Fully configurable. In advanced mode, it fits all of my actual needs: start, stop, record, program change, mute, etc...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Open the commands window and you can use a MIDI command for the play/stop toggle. If you want that to be your sustain pedal switch, you would use controller 64. However, I don't know if you can make it work like a momentary switch (i.e., not just playing when the pedal is down).

I'm positive hundreds of people here have done this very thing.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
hamburski
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hamburski »

This is something I would love to be able to do. I was able to add my sustain pedal to the play/stop commands by clicking in the MIDI events window and then stepping on my pedal - that is, it now shows up, but actually stepping on it has no result - is that the snag you were anticipating? Does it only work as a way to program in controller data that will work upon playback of the track?

Edit: curiousely, my sustain pedal also won't work to trigger DP in "wait" mode, but hitting a note on my keyboard controller (into which the sustain pedal is plugged) will.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:Open the commands window and you can use a MIDI command for the play/stop toggle. If you want that to be your sustain pedal switch, you would use controller 64. However, I don't know if you can make it work like a momentary switch (i.e., not just playing when the pedal is down).

I'm positive hundreds of people here have done this very thing.
Yep, I've got quite a number of pedal commands that I use all the time. Of course, I use the Roland FC300 for them, but I've also used pedals attached to a MIDI TimePiece or my Kurzweil 2600 in the more distant past. It's only MIDI!

Shoosh

PS: Look up MIDI Masters commands on page 94 of the DP User Guide (PDF) for extra information about turning on or off groups of commands for external MIDI control. Try it out, first, and if your command does not work, you may need to turn on a Master.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|