Consensus on DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kassonica
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Consensus on DP9

Post by kassonica »

Hi all, good to see the old gang still hanging out here.

Ok in classic kassonica form, I missed DP8. so I'm still on DP7.24 on snow leopard which is still pretty much doing most things for me. I mix through a desk and outboard these days, although I still mix kinda in the box sometimes, and I was wondering hows the stability on 9.

I see magic dave says it will run on snow leopard, is anyone doing that?

Thanks for the input (if any) and hey I miss you guys, I'll have to start hanging here again...

Waves to all the gang....
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Consensus on DP9

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Hey man! Nice to see you posting. I'm working fine in 9 as long as I don't use the INSERT command for control data. It's a fine release and when the iron out the little bugs it'll be a great release. I'll give MOTU about 2 months. Maybe sooner. Or else!!!!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Good to see you, Kass. My verdict? I really want to like DP9. Really. I have tried since the initial release. There is much to love: the automation lanes and enhanced workflow features are all great, BUT there are too many show stopping *ugs. The whole feel of the automation is half baked, and in need of a lot of fixing. There have been numerous automation point problems that have generated crashes that are directly reported to MOTU via their (new?) crash reporter. The waveform drawing is crazy, especially if you use the rectified waveforms. Several crashes have been reported using the Drum Editor. Others report that all is good and no worries. I am somewhere in the middle, as I have been able to reproduce about half of the reported anomalies. MX4 is a selling point for some, but I feel it is a somewhat dated wavetable synth that has limited usability. Wait for 9.1 and see what the heavy hitters have to say.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Sound advice. 9.x
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

It's a bit expensive for what is essentially a few extras - DP8 was good anyway and DP9 is not radically different other than a few changes. Thank goodness Full Screen Mode has been fixed - but that is a fix not an upgrade. What I can say is that I can get a lot done and have done with DP9 - show lanes is a useful function. But the basics of DP9 are not fundamentally different from DP8 (or indeed DP7). Do I need yet another synth or some more guitar pedals? The new FET compressor seems good and I have used it several times already. The new Theme is not great to my eyes - perhaps a few new Themes would have been nice although those of us who customise Themes have found that nothing much has changed there. So all good, it still works and doesn't seem to crash too much - and maybe more incremental improvements will also come in updates.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Hey, the Kass man is back! 8)
I have DP9 on a test drive. Not ready for prime time, but I eagerly await 9.01. Once they get the bugs out I think it will be a winner. I agree that it ain't much of an upgrade, but for something I use every day I like to stay current. You're upgrading from 7 so I think for you it will be worth it, but I would heed the advise of those who say wait for a bug fix update if you need it to do your daily work.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

The Cat is back :mrgreen:

Thanks guys, this place always feels like home.

I must admit I really like a lot of the features in 8, but just didn't feel the need to update.

7.24 is absolutely rock solid, one crash in years, but the new features are so enticing.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I see a number of interesting new features but little that fits into the way I work. DP 8 was the major upgrade for me and am glad that I did that upgrade.

I'm on the fence regarding 9 and may wait till DP 10.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I fell off the fence after the 30 day trial and paid up. It's working fine on my setup and I don't see many of the bugs that others are experiencing. I'm getting a smoother interface, although that seems to be offset by 9 struggling at low latencies more than 8.

Even so, there's little that's compelling, and no reason not to wait to see what the first updates bring.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

There's a consensus??!?

I like it, BTW. It runs great (only one bug I've been able to reproduce and that one doesn't affect my workflow), and seems to handle memory better than even DP8, which was a major improvement. On my system, in the way I work, DP9 is excellent. And, as noted elsewhere, I routinely buy point-oh upgrades because I consider it my rent payment on future development. I've tried moving away from DP to use ProTools and Logic Pro, and came running back both times... I'm not using anything else for the foreseeable remainder of my career.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

I agree. I see purchase of the release as a way to support a great company with great products.

As for 9, aside from one bug it's working great. If you don't think there are A LOT of new features you haven't read (or understood) the READ ME. Are they earth shattering? Not all of them, but a few are really pretty freaking amazing, IMO.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

ML! The Opal man!

Hope you're well, brother. I've tried to call you several times over the past 3 years or so, but to no avail(ability? LOL).

From everything I've read, I'd at least wait 'til a couple of point updates have been issued.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

monkey man wrote:ML! The Opal man!

Hope you're well, brother. I've tried to call you several times over the past 3 years or so, but to no avail(ability? LOL).

From everything I've read, I'd at least wait 'til a couple of point updates have been issued.

Hey mate good to see you are still here and in one piece. Lol.

Yea I've moved since you had that number.

Pm your landline number and I'll call ya, as ive only got a cell phone (as the yanks say)

Cheers, the cat. :)
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Seeing as how you can't get DP 8 anymore, I can think of a solid reason to go to DP9 - it runs
as a 64-bit app. That allows you to access more than 4GB of memory, and thus you can load larger
sample libraries and more CPU-intensive plugins. You don't know how big a difference this is until you try it, then you'll wonder why you waited so long to join the 64-bit world.

We already know that a 9,01 version is coming. That said, really I have to disagree that any of DP9's bugs are "show-stoppers". Annoying at the most. It's absolutely nothing like DP6 which was a dud.

Frankly, I would have paid the equivalent of the upgrade price just to get MX4. Do I need another synth? Yes. MX4 is great. I actually view it as the first real synth included in a MOTU release. It's super-powerful, deep and sounds great.

I highly recommend moving to 9. The bug fixes are coming, in the meantime, you can certainly get things done with it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

for anyone (like me) who still gets the print copy of EM (Elec. Musician), Mike Levine has a nice one-page review of DP9 in the Sept. issue (pg.16), with promise of a fuller review to come...
I'm not sure if it's on their website (yet) - I don't think it is...
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me