Consensus on DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wvandyck
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Consensus on DP9

Post by wvandyck »

David Polich wrote:...Frankly, I would have paid the equivalent of the upgrade price just to get MX4. Do I need another synth? Yes. MX4 is great. I actually view it as the first real synth included in a MOTU release. It's super-powerful, deep and sounds great.
Nice to see someone with your clout make this statement!

I opted for the $99 special deal for MX4 when purchasing the DP7 upgrade.
Now I'm thrilled that it's an integral part of DP9.

MX4 is still so tonally rich and powerful.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

kassonica wrote:The Cat is back :mrgreen:

Thanks guys, this place always feels like home.

I must admit I really like a lot of the features in 8, but just didn't feel the need to update.

7.24 is absolutely rock solid, one crash in years, but the new features are so enticing.
Hello fellow antipodean (3 of us in Melbourne!). Just letting you know that the link to your site (profile) seems to be broken/site down.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

You're kidding, BK. I've always thought you were in Sydney for some reason.

I can add one more to that list: BDR. I know his full name but won't take the liberty of divulging it. I'm sure he used to shiver with us down here, but can't speak for his current situation...

Still, 3 or 4 is all good, eh? Cheers bud.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
crduval

Post by crduval »

DP9 working well for me so far, though I haven't really pushed it yet. Love having MX4 back again btw.
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

The wholesalers are still waiting for it down here in Jungleville, but its arrival is apparently imminent.

Can't wait to fiddle with MX4, as MachFive is all I've bought VI-wise thus far and it's such a deep beast that requires commitment on many levels, including disk space for preset creation. MX4, OTOH, theoretically should be much easier to get into as there's (I assume) no sample library chewing up space, and presets should therefore be tiny in terms of file size. The fact that presets should be able to be stored and recalled from within DP fits my way of thinking too; MachFive can do this, but again, it requires dedicated space on (for me) another partition. DP then has to keep track of the samples involved for the presets to be recalled, something that can (I assume) be easily messed up by something as erroneous as one's accidentally changing a folder name in the file path somewhere. This shouldn't happen with MX4, I assume (again!), 'cause the presets should be stored in a default position on the boot drive.

Obviously I haven't been able to test it yet, but I remain up-beat about DP9 due to the new FX plugs and MX4 alone. The spectral rendering of waveforms and other goodies will be icing on the banana cake for the Monkster.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Here’s the 1st big forum thread about DP 9..in case you need more info...
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=60031
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc