Drum Programming, Transposition, etc.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Drum Programming, Transposition, etc.

Post by SMS »

I'm getting frustrated trying to find a good work flow for drum programming. I have Superior Drummer, BFD, and Slate VIs, as well as various MIDI gear. All great, lots of choices. The issue is if I want to try out different sources, they all have different mapping. OK, so I set up either a simple octave transpotion or custom map with the MIDI Transpose plug-in. I can then play the familiar (GM for me) keys and the plug transposes both on playback and entry. Marvelous! However, when editing, the MIDI events sound the actual note, not transposed.

Do we agree that the Transpose plug should also apply when clicking on notes in the editor (I use the regular MIDI editor, not the drum editor)?

I have the same issue with Trillian, as it, by default, sounds an octave lower than played. I'd rather enter the actual notes, because for one thing, it separates the notes when viewing multiple tracks in the MIDI editor. I know I can use the Transpose knob in Trillian, but again, every time I want to audition a different Bass sound I have to reset this. I can't find any kind of global setting in Trillian to change this....

Any suggestions for an easier way to be able to easily swap drum players and/or deal with these transposition issues?

Thanks in advance

Spence
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Tritonemusic

Re: Drum Programming, Transposition, etc.

Post by Tritonemusic »

I don't remember if there's a preference for this. For now, you could click on a note to select it (of course, you'll hear the wrong note), then hit Option-Spacebar and it will sound the Transposed note. Definitely not a fix, but it's all I can think of for now.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have the same issue with Trillian, as it, by default, sounds an octave lower than played.
like any double bass instrument, right?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, it would be nice if there was a preference that said:

"Render transpose plugin in realtime for MIDI edit/Audition mode".

On a related topic, I remember an old version of Finale (10 years ago) where, when editing a transposed part, it would sound the transposed pitch and not the ACTUAL pitch. So, for example, if it was a Bb trumpet part, and clicked on a C in that part, it would sound a C-- even though the pitch in real-life would be a Bb. I asked Finale's support about it, and they said that was just the way it worked, and basically told me to F off.

But back to your issue. I guess you could make copies of the track, and destructively apply the transposition while you are doing edits.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
SMS

Post by SMS »

mikehalloran wrote:
I have the same issue with Trillian, as it, by default, sounds an octave lower than played.
like any double bass instrument, right?
To me, those traditional transpositions are for notation/ease of reading. Sampled Tenor Sax doesn't sound a Major 9th lower than played in, does it? I suppose, in the case of Trillian, it's done to make it easier to get full range from a 25 or 49 key controller, and each Drum instrument designer maps things the way they think is best, but it would be nice if DP helped with this by having the MIDI editor play through the transpose plug.

Conclusion- there's not really any convenient way to easily audition different drum sound sources and still be able to edit....

I'd like to hear how others accomplish this...
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I must be missing something re: Trillian. I've been using this very nice sounding bass VI since it was known as Trilogy.

Unless I don't remember changing a default, it always sounds the note I play on my controller (which is not transposed).

IOW, if I play Middle C on the keyboard through Trillian, Middle C is what is sounded and recorded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

SMS

Post by SMS »

Odd...
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Forget about using Transpose to get drumkit pieces in the places you prefer. You have to go into the drum VI edit and place kit pieces where you want them. Every drum VI allows you to program your own kits with drums placed where you want. Tedious? Yes. Worth the work? Yes.

I've always hated the GM drum map. Never made sense to me. I start by placing the hi tom on G2, mid tom on A2, and lo tom on B2. Hi to low, like a real kit (I'm right-handed). G#2 is where I put the
shank hat, instead of the foot pedal hat, which has always been a stupid place to put it. Hi crash on
C#3, ride cymbal On D#3, low crash on G3. Snare drag on D#1, just to the right of the main snare on D1. Who the hell needs a handclap next to the snare? Put the drag snare next to the main snare and then play trills with D1,D#1, and E1 and you can get really cool snare parts going.

Spend some time re-programming your own kits. You'll be really happy you did.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I've still not used VIs for anything, let alone drums, but as awkward as the GM mapping is, I've stuck with it since the late '80s. One gets used to it in time.

Based on what I've read here, it should hopefully be a simple matter of selecting "GM Mapping" in whichever VIs I end up buying one day, assuming they all offer the option. At this point, I'm inclined to predict that I'll not bother with those that don't; the ability to easily compare kits across different VIs, I'd have thought, is essential.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

monkey man wrote:I've still not used VIs for anything, let alone drums, but as awkward as the GM mapping is, I've stuck with it since the late '80s. One gets used to it in time.

Based on what I've read here, it should hopefully be a simple matter of selecting "GM Mapping" in whichever VIs I end up buying one day, assuming they all offer the option. At this point, I'm inclined to predict that I'll not bother with those that don't; the ability to easily compare kits across different VIs, I'd have thought, is essential.
All drum VI's have drum kits that are mapped to
the GM standard by default. Thats why you
have to edit kits to put the kit pieces
where you want (or not, if you prefer
to stick to the GM standard)

Btw, the GM standard was developed originally
by Roland. The GM drum map is an
arbitrary drumkit piece assignment
put together by someone who obviously
wasnt a drummer.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Correct weight, Dave!

From memory I think it was based on the MT-32 mapping, and because it was such a popular unit Roland (and subsequently the rest of the crowd) just went with it.

I agree that it's a crappy mapping and a bugger to play, but as I suggested, I'm used to it now and I love standards (and default settings!). It's 'cause of my penchant for such things (in the interests of repeatability mostly) that, from what you've just told me, the 230-odd pieces I've sitting waiting for development will be more-easily rendered as they date back to the late '80s and all employ the GM mapping.

Thank you, mate; it's great to know that all drum VIs provide this option at the click of a button. Ripper!

crduval

Post by crduval »

I liked the mapping that Kurzweil implemented in their synths. It had the kick and snare at an octave apart (with adjacent keys to the kick and snare were also mapped to the kick and snare), while hats, rides and cymbals were conveniently mapped to the right hand. It made it very easy with the left hand to play sophisticated double kick/snare drum patterns in real time. Toms were in the middle. I redid some of my non Kurz maps in this way, although I've gotten used to the less convenient GM map too by now.
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yeah, whilst I only owned a PC2 module for a few days, I well remember that the congas were mapped to adjacent keys (mostly white ones?) which, in retrospect, should have made playing more intuitive.

Funny that one of the reasons (apart from financial ones) I sold the only Kurz unit I ever owned was that I expected to be able to employ the "trusty ol' GM mapping" and couldn't find a way to do so.

Ironic that those congas were the best-sounding I'd ever experienced in a ROMpler, and until recently the hunt has been on. Mind you, I've given up of late as I figured the Flying Hand stuff will more than cover these needs when the time eventually comes to take the VI-and-plug dive.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:The GM drum map is an
arbitrary drumkit piece assignment
put together by someone who obviously
wasnt a drummer.
Or a left-handed drummer? There's a drummer joke somewhere here.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yeah, if only we could find it, Stoivo. LOL