Drum Programming, Transposition, etc.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Drum Programming, Transposition, etc.

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:Just sayin' - for a left-handed drummer, you play the snare with your right hand and the hat with your left, correct?
Yes
David Polich wrote:So for a left-handed drummer the hats would be to the left of D1 (default key for the snare).
I see what you're saying. But when using a keyboard, I cross my hands over, just as I do with the real drums or pads, so the GM arrangement works fine for me.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Drum Programming, Transposition, etc.

Post by monkey man »

SMS wrote:BFD3 for one. The great thing about VIs is that most allow you to download demo (or sometimes even full!) versions to see if they fit your workflow. I havr BFD3, Superior Drummer, and Slate Drums, all great and slghtly different. Slate is the closest to GM mapping, and though great for rock, less versatile than the others. Also cheaper. They all sound great, and has been stated, can be remapped however you like. Worth the time if you have it.

Spence
Aah... thank you, Spence. Appreciate it, mate.
bayswater wrote:
monkey man wrote:Wha?... noooo!

Please, SMS, if there are any that don't, could you or someone point to them so I know to look out for this?
Strictly speaking, lots of them don't. The GM standard didn't anticipate things like articulations, and left and right hits, so most of the sets I see have things more or less in the GM order, but rearranged to accommodate extra sounds. Not just drum VIs. In Mach 5 and UVI for example, the factory programs have one patch set aside for GM. The rest diverge.
Makes sense Stoiv... and the GM-mapped ones would undoubtedly not sport all the bells and whistles of the non-GM ones. Lighter on the articulation... just like me.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here