comparison FET76 from DP9 and others ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
lito
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

comparison FET76 from DP9 and others ?

Post by lito »

Hi,
who made a comparison between the FET76 from DP9 and other providers ?
I have only the comparison with the FET76 from Softube: for me the 76 from DP has a little more sweetness and the attacks/releases reacts a little bit with less harshness for my ears. So I can say, thanks to MOTU for this nice gift :)
Only a Tele is good enough !!!
monkey man

Re: comparison FET76 from DP9 and others ?

Post by monkey man »

Phil O posted his impressions here:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=360

I for one really appreciated it.

EDIT: Robert Randolph chimed in too.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

If you dont have other 1176-emulating plugs, then comparisons are worthless. Personally I
think comparisons are worthless, period. It's up to you to decide whether you like the way
something sounds. Everyone's ears are different.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

David Polich wrote:If you dont have other 1176-emulating plugs, then comparisons are worthless. Personally I
think comparisons are worthless, period. It's up to you to decide whether you like the way
It's not only sounds but functionality - like how does it compare to other emulations? Can you work in one the same as you can in another? For that reason alone (and others) I think comparisons are NOT worthless. For me I like the Black 76 emulation IK Multimedia does a lot better than the DP9 version.
mikeka

Post by mikeka »

[quote=It's not only sounds but functionality - like how does it compare to other emulations? Can you work in one the same as you can in another? For that reason alone (and others) I think comparisons are NOT worthless. For me I like the Black 76 emulation IK Multimedia does a lot better than the DP9 version.[/quote]

Big +1 here. The IK is a great 1176 emu. I recently did an 1176 shootout with many of the usual suspects, some of which I own, others demoed. I also have extensive experience with the hardware.
To my ears the IK is head and shoulders above the rest. Not a big fan of the DP emu.
DP 8.07 64 bit, OS 10.10.5, Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 3.33ghz, 16GB ram, lots 'o plugs and VIs
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

musicman691 wrote:
David Polich wrote:If you dont have other 1176-emulating plugs, then comparisons are worthless. Personally I
It's not only sounds but functionality - like how does it compare to other emulations? Can you work in one the same as you can in another? For that reason alone (and others) I think comparisons are NOT worthless. For me I like the Black 76 emulation IK Multimedia does a lot better than the DP9 version.
The IK Black 76 was/is my personal favorite emulation of my favorite piece of hardware. I've found that the FET-76 performs at least on par with it, but some knob settings are slightly different.

I will say though that I still prefer the 'hardware' UI in other emulations. Motu has this fetish with small knobs that I can't get on board with.

Still, I sold all my 1176 emulations except the Black 76 because I'm very happy with the FET-76.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I own most of them (except UAD), but IK Black gets the most use from me. It's just so easy to tweak and get to a musical setting that works.

It may be that Softube's sounds better, but I haven't had as much time with it and found it too easy to get bad settings (possibly like the original hardware, which I've never used?).

As I was already almost done with my top priority album project when I upgraded to DP9 a couple of weeks ago, I haven't had a chance to use that one yet.

What I can say though, is that for the applications I am using the IK Black for in this current heavy metal project (a narrow application, for sure), it does not leave me wanting or seeing a need to compare (it replaced other plugs when I bought it). I might consider other emu's in other projects as I come to them.

Where the IK plug-in really shines for me, so far, is on big Marshall guitar amps, specifically on the room mic channel. I'm using other compressors, limiters, and levelers on other tracks, but Black 76 was the one that helped me get some poorly recorded guitar tracks that I inherited from another engineer, to where they sounded like they were recorded properly. :-)

If the new one from MOTU really is the best (by some measures), maybe I'll start using 1176 type processing for more tasks than I currently am. I've put a lot of time into this though, and always end up preferring something else to the 1176, except for the case mentioned above. Yet I deeply respect and appreciate the classic albums that made heavy use of that processor.

I should point out that on this particular project, the singer was so good (including his mic technique) and the gear and recording chain so superior, that I used zero processing on the vocals for this album (except some plate reverb).

I know the 1176 is loved for vocals especially, as well as certain drum contexts, so maybe I'll find myself using the new MOTU 1176 emulation the next time I work with less-than-perfect vocals.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I see the "DP9 is now shipping" topic has some in-depth discussion of 1176 emus, but probably it is best to continue discussion in this more focused topic than to respond there.

For those who may make a DP9 purchase decision partially on the quality of the 1176 emu, could you tell me which sorts of roles you are primarily interested in?

I am finishing off a long-running album project this weekend, so it is a good time to take a breather and re-tool for the next project (which begins immediately).

Also, if you have presets you'd like to send me from other 1176's, feel free, and I can try to recreate them in the MOTU plug-in and compare.

I personally don't use factory presets on any of my 1176's, but I can also port my personal project settings from IK Black 76 to MOTU sometime in the next few days, if anyone cares specifically about how it handles distances mics on a Marshall 4x12 stack (1960A).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I went through my project annotation while remixing today and found that I am using the Softube FET plug-in more than I thought.

Specifically, I found it WAY more transparent and effective for glueing drums and percussion together. So I apply it to most percussion stems.

Starting with this project, I diverged from my historical pattern of combining percussion and drum set tracks into one final percussion stem. Instead, I keep drum set separate, and even include effected drums like gated snare (when only during a fill) and echoed toms (when used for intros etc.) in the percussion stem vs. the drum set stem.

It's a bit harder to get level balances this way due to more steps, but it's worth the extra effort, and using Softube FET is the magic ingredient that gets the completely differently processed percussion elements to sit well with a cohesive traditional drum set mix.

EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Does anyone feel the Stillwell Rocket fits in this discussion? I have hardware 1176/1178 experience, but no unit currently and no 1176 emulations.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

EMRR wrote:Does anyone feel the Stillwell Rocket fits in this discussion? I have hardware 1176/1178 experience, but no unit currently and no 1176 emulations.
I tried it multiple times, and if it's an 1176 emulation I feel like it's a poor one. It certainly tries to look/feel like one. It is a decent compressor outside of the emulation aspect, but it was never any thing I felt like I needed to own.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mhschmieder wrote:I went through my project annotation while remixing today and found that I am using the Softube FET plug-in more than I thought.

Specifically, I found it WAY more transparent and effective for glueing drums and percussion together. So I apply it to most percussion stems.

Starting with this project, I diverged from my historical pattern of combining percussion and drum set tracks into one final percussion stem. Instead, I keep drum set separate, and even include effected drums like gated snare (when only during a fill) and echoed toms (when used for intros etc.) in the percussion stem vs. the drum set stem.

It's a bit harder to get level balances this way due to more steps, but it's worth the extra effort, and using Softube FET is the magic ingredient that gets the completely differently processed percussion elements to sit well with a cohesive traditional drum set mix.
Got a couple of questions on the Softube FET:
First: is the compression ratio knob truly variable or does it just do the fixed points as notated on the front panel?
Second: does the look ahead control in the Detector really help/make a difference?
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Robert Randolph wrote:
EMRR wrote:...if it's an 1176 emulation I feel like it's a poor one...
I don't think it's meant to be, although I could be wrong. I use the rocket frequently and it's character is quite different IMO. Rocket's side chain feature is what I use it for mainly. Great for ducking.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, I'm at the office now so can't check, but I think Softube just does the fixed points, as that rings a bell now that you bring it up and I think it was why I didn't find it as easy to work with on guitar as some other emulations -- whereas I didn't need as fine-grained detail on percussion so the superior acoustics of that plug-in came out ahead for that purpose.

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

If only we all took this approach, all the time, with everything.

You know why those old-timers used an 1176? Because it was what they had.

Does it work or not? Does it sound good or not? That's the only question worth asking.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]