Reverting from DP9 back to DP8: A Warning

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ghobish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Reverting from DP9 back to DP8: A Warning

Post by ghobish »

After many instances of the "insert crash" that many are experiencing in DP9, I reverted back to 8 to enjoy the rock-solid stability I've had for years. I discovered a few things:

1. The new command key bindings were retained when I went backwards (probably because I had merged them on the initial install). This includes the now-changed Undo command key structure. I actually don't mind this, I think it's the way Undo should always have worked anyway... but beware.

2. Some of the support files (e.g., Eucon control surface support) were updated in 9. I found that when I reverted back to 8, the support file did not properly control my (newly acquired- better update my sig file!) Euphonics/Avid MC Control and MC Mix surfaces. I had to dig the version 8 file out of a backup and replace it and all is well.

I'm sure there are other examples, so be forewarned- you cannot 100% go back and forth between DP8 and DP9.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
Phil O

Re: Reverting from DP9 back to DP8: A Warning

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for the heads-up, Gary. I merged key bindings as well. The undo behavior would have thrown me. I'll be sure to watch out for it.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Good catch! I'm hopping between 8 and 9 fairly frequently and I didn't even notice that the commands were being shared.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I was going to post a similar thread, but Gary saved me the trouble!

I've discovered general misbehavior going back to 8 after a 9 install. I've decided to reinstall 8.07 but my concern is with the Command Keys. I have dozens of custom commands that correspond to buttons on my console. I don't want to risk loosing those, they took a long time to make!

DP used to ask if you want to merge the key bindings but I don't think is does anymore, just automatically does it somehow. I guess I'll go try find the folder they're stored in and copy it, just in case..

Fortunately, I haven't seen any issues with MCU and my console between 8 and 9, guess they didn't change that driver between the versions.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Killahurts wrote:I was going to post a similar thread, but Gary saved me the trouble!

I've discovered general misbehavior going back to 8 after a 9 install. I've decided to reinstall 8.07 but my concern is with the Command Keys. I have dozens of custom commands that correspond to buttons on my console. I don't want to risk loosing those, they took a long time to make!

DP used to ask if you want to merge the key bindings but I don't think is does anymore, just automatically does it somehow. I guess I'll go try find the folder they're stored in and copy it, just in case..

Fortunately, I haven't seen any issues with MCU and my console between 8 and 9, guess they didn't change that driver between the versions.
I think there is an “export key bindings” command
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Killahurts wrote:DP used to ask if you want to merge the key bindings but I don't think is does anymore, just automatically does it somehow.
The DP 9 installer did ask me whether I wanted to merge the key bindings, which I did. Anyway, I always store an export of key commands whenever I make a change.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

toodamnhip wrote:I think there is an “export key bindings” command
Yep found it, never knew it was there, thanks! The key bindings survived the reinstall.

After the reinstall, I noticed that when I pulled up the large document I was working on it told me the new MOTU plugin modeled after the 1176 (forgot what it's called) was missing. I must have tried it on a track when I was working in 9, and it stayed with me when I went back to 8. The reinstall broke the connection, I guess. :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Killahurts wrote:I've discovered general misbehavior going back to 8 after a 9 install.
MOTU must face!

Please employ tougher security dudes oh Gods of MOTU; this vagrant behaviour costs the tax payer moolah!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks for the warning, Gary. I considered backtracking for some last-minute surprise audio editing requests on this current project, but decided that "I must face" instead. :-)

Hopefully today I'll have time to study the manual further and see how to get audio waveforms to display again in the Sequence View when doing fine editing (they disappear ONLY where I need them most, and otherwise are slow to paint and/or scroll and/or don't reliably paint at all, which is slowing me down as I consolidate all audio and can't use my eyes anymore to see where guitar fills and mini-solos occur on side tracks).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH