DP9 worth getting or wait for DP10?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 worth getting or wait for DP10?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

DP 6 was the Pia Zadora of MOTU releases... useless here as well.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm waiting for a spare two bills to make themselves available. Till then, I am in no hurry. A version release may help me change my mind.

DP 6 made me run screaming back to 5. I didn't update till after 8 was announced and got 7.24 in the process.

DP 7.24 crashed when opening most of my older files so I had to borrow a 7.01 CD and download 7.12 to figure out my problems. 7.01 opened them fine and the 7.12 Background Processing Window allowed me to diagnose the problem and fix it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

My demo expired yesterday in the middle of a project that made a lot of use of the FET 76 that was coming along well. Since very few of the bugs reported have happened to me, I paid for a key code.

I know it's a coincidence, but the first time I started DP 9 after registering, it crashed. The demo didn't crash at all, and it has behaved properly since.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I know it's a coincidence, but the first time I started DP 9 after registering, it crashed
Every time I installed a later version of DP 8, it crashed the first time I used it, then gave me no more problems.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Willie, I don't know, but think I remember reading something about the project open efficiencies in one of MOTU's announcements.

Possibly they are doing a better job of multi-threading when it comes to background tasks, or maybe not loading all audio files in the project right away and only the ones that are enabled and/or in the currently active chunk? Yet chunk-switching itself is also now almost instantaneous. So I suspect they are making greater use of scheduled tasks as part of the application (via multi-threading or even multiple processes).

It wouldn't surprise me if the port to Windows caused them to do different stuff with threading, which they could then port back to the Mac for Version 9. Although there are limitations on the Mac due to the GUI pipeline itself (not the only thing join on in an app, of course) doesn't have the threading flexibility of a Windows box.

Which brings up an interesting inquiry as to which platform version of DP is the more efficient at this point in time (not that I would switch to Windows if it was faster -- especially given that the Mac version seems altogether faster for everything now than before, and more reliable for Bounce to Disc as well).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Gravity Jim wrote:I make a living with DP, and I have since version 1.7 (and Performer before that). So I pay MOTU for every point-oh upgrade. It's not expensive compared to any other professional software (Adobe, ProTools, etc.), and it's my contribution to the continuing development of the very best DAW for me and my work.

But that aside, I like the update. Lots of small productivity enhancements, MX4 is better than I expected, the FET-76 is nice, and some under the hood stuff make it well worth the price. 9.1 will be sweet and coming soon.
Agreed on most parts. And thankfully DP hasn't gone the subscription route like Adobe and now PT (which is why I'm switching to DP).

I'm liking MX4 except for one small item - it doesn't remember MIDI learn assignments. Raised a Techlink on this and was told that it never did but should be fixed in the next DP update. And for me the productivity enhancements aren't small at all but help me to get along a lot better with DP.
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

FutureLegends wrote:But also because the kind of features that were included in DP9 was the stuff I expected in a free 8.1 update because version 8 didn't bring much new, it was mainly a windows port and under the hood stuff.
Having recently mixed a CD in DP8 made me appreciate how many new things were introduced with DP8. So sorry you don't feel you get much.

I could bitch and moan - owning not only ONE license of MX4 - but TWO - that I have to pay the upgrade fee for DP9. So am I paying an upgrade fee for MX4, DP9 or what. I certainly would like MOTU have done more with DP9, things like porting the phase meter and such from CueMix (seems like a minor task) - but hey, I got MX4 64bit and the FET76, and not to mention somebody who picks up the phone when you call for support, somebody's gotta pay for that. I am happy :D
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
scooter

Post by scooter »

In my personal experience, having mega-projects open up in under 10 seconds vs. taking up to 10 minutes, is worth $200 on its own
Boy, I'm with you on that one. So really? Is it that much faster to open a project?

scooter
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It's noticeably faster here, but nothing like the difference between 10 sec and 10 minutes.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:It's noticeably faster here, but nothing like the difference between 10 sec and 10 minutes.
For me I'd say projects open about twice as fast in DP9 as the same ones do in DP8 which is nothing to sneeze at.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

musicman691 wrote:
bayswater wrote:It's noticeably faster here, but nothing like the difference between 10 sec and 10 minutes.
For me I'd say projects open about twice as fast in DP9 as the same ones do in DP8 which is nothing to sneeze at.
Agreed. However, if previous projects actually took 10 minutes (!) to open, and then suddenly went down to 10 seconds...I think something wasn't quite right with the DAW setup in the first place.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Tritonemusic wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
Agreed. However, if previous projects actually took 10 minutes (!) to open, and then suddenly went down to 10 seconds...I think something wasn't quite right with the DAW setup in the first place.
You are free to think that.

I can duplicate the 10 minute project opening on my wife's iMac i5. Having to do a project on an identical machine drove me nuts every morning when I opened it for the first time and waited even longer than that. My i7 was much, much faster even with mechanical HDs.

At some point, I'll be installing DP 9 into her iMac later this summer and will be able to A/B the opening time. I don't know if it will be a 10:1 ratio but won't surprise me if it is.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

mikehalloran wrote: You are free to think that.
Gee, thanks.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

I can duplicate the 10 minute project opening on my wife's iMac i5. Having to do a project on an identical machine drove me nuts every morning when I opened it for the first time and waited even longer than that. My i7 was much, much faster even with mechanical HDs.

At some point, I'll be installing DP 9 into her iMac later this summer and will be able to A/B the opening time. I don't know if it will be a 10:1 ratio but won't surprise me if it is.
It's actually a 60 to 1 ratio (10 minutes to 10 seconds) but I'd accept even a 10 to 1 ration.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

musicman691 wrote:

It's actually a 60 to 1 ratio (10 minutes to 10 seconds) but I'd accept even a 10 to 1 ration.
youre right.

I have the same project saved to my iMac, my wife's, on an HD and SSD. If they ever let me leave Burlington, VT, I'll be able to time the opening in three of the four modes; the fourth when I install an SSD later this summer.

They just let us deplane. My 11:30am flight has just been pushed back to 5:45pm because of weather at JFK. My connector is supposed to leave at 4pm. So, I've little to do at BVT airport for the next three hours -- if they let me leave.
Gee. thanks
Ahhh... sarcasm when you can neither verify nor disprove the statement. And me with time on my hands... Not always a good combination.