DP9 worth getting or wait for DP10?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 worth getting or wait for DP10?

Post by Prime Mover »

I'll be skipping DP9 as well. I already have a slew of great compressors, including the IK Black-1176, which I like well enough. I have enough effects and VI plugins to drown a small town (and my hard drive space). I don't have a retina display, so that doesn't do anything for me. What I really want is some solid productivity and feature enhancements, not just more box-ins. It makes sense for their marketing to first-timers, but it's just not something I need. I wouldn't mind some interface overhauls: I never thought the consolidated window was as flexible and customizable as it could be, I'd prefer to be able to dock my own windows or have multiple CWs as I'd like. And if they would PLEASE update the drum editor and the whole having to make Device Groups to use drum maps, that would be GREEEAAAT...

I'm also just broke and can't throw money at updates unless I really need them. DP8 does me good, nothing much for me here. It just bothers me that they really haven't made any major productivity enhancements since version 6. 4, 5, and 6 were out in front of the pack with huge new features that every other DAW copied. Time to see some of those type of advancements again!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy