Track Selection in the Mixer Window

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
emjayinla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Track Selection in the Mixer Window

Post by emjayinla »

Greetings,

I have multiple screens and am using Spaces to some extend (-thanks Shooshie)

What I'm able to do is highlight a large area of tracks in the TO window, apply a keystroke filter to highlight only tracks with data and enter the Sequence window with only the highlighted/selected tracks. Ok, that's fine.

I'd like to be able to do a similar thing with the Mixer Window - that is, highlight a few tracks and only have those visible. I can of course select individual tracks from the track reveal column in the mixer window but I'm wondering if there's a way to have the selection in the mixer mimic the selection in the TO. I've been looking for an answer with no avail.

Cheers
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Track Selection in the Mixer Window

Post by Shooshie »

I don't think you can cherry-pick Mixing Board tracks using any known method other than the track selector column, but you CAN have it scroll to the currently selected track. At least... I THINK you can. I haven't done it in so long, it may not be there anymore.

I leave my mixing board open to the full width of the screen (if there are that many tracks), so it's always right where I last left it, which is the way I prefer it. I can get around fast if I know where I am, but when it moves behind my gaze and reappears other than where I left it, it takes me a minute to get oriented. I have to read track names, then, which as everyone knows is a mixed bag in the mixing board. I tend to have track names that get truncated, so it's easy for many tracks to appear to have the same name, with the ... in between. So, I just like for the mixer to always be where I last left it. That way I will always know just exactly where I am, and how to get where I want to go.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

How do you hide tracks in the TO without using folders? I wasn't aware of this function.

edit: OOOhhhh, I misread. You're hiding them in the Sequence window, using the TO. Ok, I knew (and use) that. :rtfm:
emjayinla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by emjayinla »

Thanks Shooshie,

Knowing I won't find it allows me to abandon my search.

Cheers
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yes. Abandon ship!

Too bad, mate.
Shooshie wrote:I leave my mixing board open to the full width of the screen (if there are that many tracks), so it's always right where I last left it, which is the way I prefer it. I can get around fast if I know where I am, but when it moves behind my gaze and reappears other than where I left it, it takes me a minute to get oriented.... I tend to have track names that get truncated, so it's easy for many tracks to appear to have the same name, with the ... in between. So, I just like for the mixer to always be where I last left it. That way I will always know just exactly where I am, and how to get where I want to go.

Shooshie
I do this too, Shoosh, but I truncate all names, using capital letters for easy legibility. Colour-coding the various flavours helps too, as do "dummy" spacers.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
marquito

Post by marquito »

I wish DP would highlight the relevant channel strip in the Mixer window when a track or range selection is made in the TO or sequence editor.

This is something Logic does very well - when selecting a track, the corresponding channel displays inverted in the mixer - and it makes finding the channel in a busy mixer window much, much easier.

In DP I'm always hunting around for the appropriate channel.

Perhaps they could display it the same way as when you shift+click the channel in the mixer window - i.e. with a green border.