Importing stereo audio files from ProTools to DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
teesav
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Importing stereo audio files from ProTools to DP

Post by teesav »

Greetings to all! It's been a while.

I'm dragging stereo broadcast wave files from a ProTools session into a stereo DP 7.24 audio track.

The stereo files in the ProTools folder are separated into left and right mono tracks. If I drag either the left or right mono audio file from ProTools into the DP stereo track, it seems that DP recognizes that it is a stereo file and automatically retrieves the missing part.

There must be some embedded info in the file that allows DP to complete this process. Am I correct in this thinking? How does DP know it is a stereo file and where to look for the missing piece?

If I select both the left and right mono files and simultaneously drag them into DP, then duplicate stereo files show up in DP's soundbites window.

I just want to make sure I'm doing this right so that I get the complete stereo track.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Best,
T
MacPro3,1 Eight-Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz 8 Gigs of Memory, Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 4 Gigs of Memory. DP7.24 WAVES plugins, BFD2, Stylus RMX, Native Instruments, Korg Legacy Software. UAD-2 duo, UAD-1 with lots of plugins. Traveler Avalon 737 KRK Rocket 5's with Sub
Phil O

Re: Importing stereo audio files from ProTools to DP

Post by Phil O »

teesav wrote:...There must be some embedded info in the file that allows DP to complete this process...
I think it has to do with file and soundbite names. Do the PT files have L and R in the filename? If so, you can fake DP into importing them as two mono files by removing the L or R from one of the filenames (or change the filenames completely).

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Just drag and drop (or import) one of the files and it imports as stereo as you've noticed. Very cool.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Re: Importing stereo audio files from ProTools to DP

Post by mikehalloran »

I firts ran into this with Roxio Jam years ago after exporting DP as separate R and L. I figured that I'd have to put Humpty Dumpty back together again when I noticed that dragging one half imported both.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro