DP9 Install via Download v. DVD

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9 Install via Download v. DVD

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Just a shot in the dark here...

I was having an "insert" controller crash pretty consistently in DP 9 when I had installed from the online version. When I installed from the DVD, the crash went away. That leads me to believe that the 1.09GB file may have encountered a slight error during the download.

The pkg files are the same size on the DVD and the download: 1,094,201,566 bytes (1.09 GB on disk), the timestamps are not.

Download timestamp is: June 23, 2015 at 7:44 AM
DVD timestamp is: June 23, 2015 at 12:42 AM

But it did get me wondering if people who installed from the DVD are seeing problems or might it be only those who installed downloaded the release who are having issues?

:unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Re: DP9 Install via Download v. DVD

Post by cuttime »

I never got the DVD or the "Getting Started Manual". I was assured some time around 6/24 that I would be getting it in weeks ahead. Is there something you did to facilitate the process?
I just re-installed DP9 last night from a fresh download and got no joy.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

All I did was call MOTU the day of release. Magic Dave picked up the call and gave me a key code over the phone. The disc shipped about a week later but I didn't think of installing from it until a couple of days ago.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Just a shot in the dark here...

I was having an "insert" controller crash pretty consistently in DP 9 when I had installed from the online version. When I installed from the DVD, the crash went away. That leads me to believe that the 1.09GB file may have encountered a slight error during the download.
I have the same issue. I must open lanes if I want it to work properly. I've received the DVD at work last week but didn't bother to reinstall. Will sure try it next monday! 8)
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

I do not have the insert bug, and I installed from Download within the first ~3 hours of DP9 coming out.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

This proves nothing. It's just information.
Download installation, no crash when inserting controllers, lanes hidden or shown.

Maybe the act of reinstalling fixed something.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
MIDI Life Crisis

Obviously it proves nothing. It anecdotal and that why I provided the file size as identical. Again, what I'm wondering is if something happened to a little piece of code during the fairly lengthy download. Reinstalling from the download might have also fixed the problem, AFAIK.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Is the build # for the dvd 66544?
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Obviously it proves nothing. It anecdotal and that why I provided the file size as identical. Again, what I'm wondering is if something happened to a little piece of code during the fairly lengthy download. Reinstalling from the download might have also fixed the problem, AFAIK.

After a ton of the "insert crash," I gave up on 9 (at least this .0 version); perhaps I'll try the reinstall while I have a few days of demo period left.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

cuttime wrote:Is the build # for the dvd 66544?
Yes; same build number as the download.

I did have a problem with the dvd install that didn't occur in the download install. In the dvd install when I opened the Channel Strip and I clicked on a MIDI track it went to the proper track as it should. But when I clicked on an Instrument track the CS stayed on the MIDI track I had last selected. Not good.

So I ended up re-installing the download version and everything is as it should be.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

musicman691 wrote:
cuttime wrote: I did have a problem with the dvd install that didn't occur in the download install. In the dvd install when I opened the Channel Strip and I clicked on a MIDI track it went to the proper track as it should. But when I clicked on an Instrument track the CS stayed on the MIDI track I had last selected. Not good.

So I ended up re-installing the download version and everything is as it should be.
I can't confirm this. Perhaps this is one of those instances when closing and opening has (temporarily?) fixed the problem.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

cuttime wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
cuttime wrote: I did have a problem with the dvd install that didn't occur in the download install. In the dvd install when I opened the Channel Strip and I clicked on a MIDI track it went to the proper track as it should. But when I clicked on an Instrument track the CS stayed on the MIDI track I had last selected. Not good.

I can't confirm this. Perhaps this is one of those instances when closing and opening has (temporarily?) fixed the problem.
Tried that and it didn't fix the issue. There's definitely some funny business going on between the download and dvd files and what will and won't work right.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Apropo of nothing, I suppose, but I remember after MachV3 was released that the UVI libraries on the DVD and on UVI's web site had the same build number but different dates – the ones on the UVI site worked properly and those on the disk did not. Many of us were frustrated by that one.

:banghead:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro