Auditioning audio/loops/sound libraries

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Nibiru
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Auditioning audio/loops/sound libraries

Post by Nibiru »

Hey all!

My problem should be easy to solve but it is baffling me. And holy moly please forgive me in advance for I'm not creating a debate between 2 or more programs, I'm merely posing a simple question(s).

I'll start with this. I was using AudioFinder on my 2008 MBP with good success, to audition loops or audio files from sound libraries while DP was playing a sequence. I've never been able to do this within DP. I've played with Ableton in the past and was impressed with its ability to allow the user to audition loops, in time mind you, and to effortlessly be able to find any sound and audition it without weird glitches or cut off start times.

So my questions are, what are all of you doing in regards to auditioning samples/loops while playing a sequence in DP? Does this exist within DP and I'm missing something? I've been using DP before it was DP, so please tell me I'm missing something and don't need to buy another program like AudioFinder.

On a 2012 Mac mini running 10.9.5 and DP 8.05

Any help is always greatly appreciated!
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Auditioning audio/loops/sound libraries

Post by Babz »

DP does not have a loop browser like Ableton, Logic, GarageBand... It is a feature that I would greatly welcome, and have requested in the past many times.

Each DAW has its strengths... DP has always been kind of more linear- than loop-oriented. It also does not have absolute grid snapping, except for when you first place a loop. If something is off the grid, it retains its relative position and you can't just simply drag it onto the grid. You need to invoke a Quantize command. I think this is a major weakness in this day and age, where grids and loops are more important than ever, and I hope that DP will add such basic features soon.

For browsing loops, I have used Drumcore in the past, but I haven't upgraded it and may be looking to something like StylusRMX. I hear that UVI Workstation is a good FREE option, but I have only recently downloaded it and have not yet attempted to use it as a loop browser.

At the same time, DP is way superior to other programs in many other ways. This is particularly evident when I go from working in DP to Ableton. I come from a linear/tape background, and still mostly think about musical time that way, and am probably one of the last people on Earth to start embracing a loop-centered workflow. But when you need loops and a grid, you need it. You CAN use loops and grids in DP, and I have used it to create effective EDM tracks. And I still prefer it over Ableton in many ways, even for EDM tracks. I wish DP would add more loop-friendly features, but it is specifically its weaknesses in this area that have prompted me to invest in learning Ableton Live and NI Maschine.

Best,
Babz
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

MachFive for loops and libraries... if you have it.

I just wish we'd get the OS-level space-bar preview of MIDI files back. That one absolutely killed me... and continues to do so. In fact, I'm way, way past being dead now.

I gave up on the retro-QuickTime and various "plug-ins" install tricks long ago; we need it back in the OS. Can't for the life of me figure out why it was dropped (in Mavericks?).

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:I just wish we'd get the OS-level space-bar preview of MIDI files back. That one absolutely killed me... and continues to do so. In fact, I'm way, way past being dead now
Complete silence on this one. The closest I've seen is a cheap drag and drop thing at the App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midipla ... mpt=uo%3D4
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hmm... the reviewer said he couldn't understand why QL functionality wasn't implemented with the install.

I noticed that a bug where MIDI files could become corrupted during dense passages was fixed. This sort of thing is precisely why I loved the QL approach to browsing. This, along with the fact that no dragging and dropping was required.

I think I'll hang out a little longer on this one; there've always been drag-and-drop options when one considers the various free player utilities out there, but for the aforementioned reasons I've not been keen to go there. QL, as it does with all compatible files including non-standard ones that I have plug-ins for, never messes with existing data in any way that I've seen. I appreciate that.

Oh, and would you believe that I've still not bought a single thing online... ever? I wouldn't even know how!

Thank you for the suggestion 'though Stoivo. I really do appreciate it.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Hmm... the reviewer said he couldn't understand why QL functionality wasn't implemented with the install.
It's a good point. There are all sorts of third party QL utilities available for file types OS X won't do on its own.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Babz wrote:DP does not have a loop browser like Ableton, Logic, GarageBand... It is a feature that I would greatly welcome, and have requested in the past many times.

Each DAW has its strengths... DP has always been kind of more linear- than loop-oriented. It also does not have absolute grid snapping, except for when you first place a loop. If something is off the grid, it retains its relative position and you can't just simply drag it onto the grid. You need to invoke a Quantize command. I think this is a major weakness in this day and age, where grids and loops are more important than ever, and I hope that DP will add such basic features soon.

For browsing loops, I have used Drumcore in the past, but I haven't upgraded it and may be looking to something like StylusRMX. I hear that UVI Workstation is a good FREE option, but I have only recently downloaded it and have not yet attempted to use it as a loop browser.

At the same time, DP is way superior to other programs in many other ways. This is particularly evident when I go from working in DP to Ableton. I come from a linear/tape background, and still mostly think about musical time that way, and am probably one of the last people on Earth to start embracing a loop-centered workflow. But when you need loops and a grid, you need it. You CAN use loops and grids in DP, and I have used it to create effective EDM tracks. And I still prefer it over Ableton in many ways, even for EDM tracks. I wish DP would add more loop-friendly features, but it is specifically its weaknesses in this area that have prompted me to invest in learning Ableton Live and NI Maschine.

Best,
Babz
UVI workstation is nice, but Mach Five is simply DP's "other half." Don't think that because they both have the UVI engine at their core, they are the same. They aren't. Mach Five is one of the most intelligently written apps out there, and it's a shame that it seems to have lost the VI/Loop Host battle to Kontakt and Logic. The darn thing never should have been offered separately from DP, and it should have been included WITH DP, since it was created. The two make a perfect duo. They complete each other, if you'll excuse the hackneyed goo-goo-eyes expression.

I do very little in loops these days (and never did, really), and most of the VIs I use either have their own interface or use Kontakt, so Mach Five doesn't see much action here anymore. But when it does... it's a fun day! I absolutely love that program. I may still create my own samples some day, and if I do, Mach Five will be the app in which I do the whole project from start to finish. (hosted by DP, of course)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Great to see you back Shoosh. I worry you're going to leave us for good when you talk like you did a few weeks back.

IIRC, you still owe us an explanation / elucidation as to what you were up to; you did promise it, after all. :wink:

I trust everything's OK, bro'.
bayswater wrote:
monkey man wrote:Hmm... the reviewer said he couldn't understand why QL functionality wasn't implemented with the install.
It's a good point. There are all sorts of third party QL utilities available for file types OS X won't do on its own.
Exactly, and I have a shedload of them, most of which I either forget are there or never use, but for the ease of installation and minimal disk space they use, they're worth keeping IMHO.

Why, oh why can't there be a GM one? Ridiculous, Stooiiv!