How to diasable Consolidated Editing in DP9 (demo)?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
spitfire31
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to diasable Consolidated Editing in DP9 (demo)?

Post by spitfire31 »

I happen to hate Consolidated Editing with a vengeance. I'm still on DP7.24 and in the prefs, there's a check box on top of the Consolidated tab where you "Enable Consoldidated Editing".

According to the DP9 pdf manual, that option check box should still be there. If it were, I'd have unchecked it first thing.

In reality, in the DP9 demo I'm running on Mac OS 10.9.5, there is NO check box. It just isn't there.

So, I'm stuck with those pesky consolidated windows and I won't upgrade to DP9 until I can deselect the Consolidated straitjacket.

I suspect that the DP9 pdf manual is in reality the DP8 manual, with some perfunctory editing, since the map and the terrain don't agree on several counts.

Anybody succeded in permanently disable Consolidated Editing in DP9?

I'd love to know how to do it.

Kind regards,

Joachim Smith
If it were easy, anybody could do it.
stubbsonic

Re: How to diasable Consolidated Editing in DP9 (demo)?

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm with you on this. I can't use the consolidated window. There's no upside with the way I work.

If DP9 can't disable it, that'll be a deal breaker for me.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Under Preferences>Display>Consolidated Window there is a list. Make sure nothing in the list is checked. Even if you do this, some older files or old templates will open with consolidated windows on. I had to "pop out" and re-save some of my templates to get around this.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Phil O just beat me to the answer.

Also - disable the checkboxes next to these -
"Open old projects using Consolidated Window".
"Open old window sets using Consolidated Window."
"Close document when Consolidated Window closes".
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Oh right. I knew that. Glad to see DP9 didn't do away with any of that.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:Phil O just beat me to the answer.

And set a few screen sets and templates and you'll never see another CW.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Just started using Consolidated Windows again now they have finally fixed Full Screen mode - fine apart from occasional odd behaviour with the window sets sometimes not showing the Mixer and other windows I popped out of the CW to show on my second display. Weird although it does come back eventually - but not consistent.

Is there some fundamental reason that Motu can't have DP operating in Full Screen mode without being in Consolidated Windows? Really that's the only reason I am using CW as I like the Full Screen mode.....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MikeInBoston »

It's funny how different we all are. If DP didn't have a consolidated window, I wouldn't be using it now. I would have hated all those messy little windows cluttering up my monitor from the earlier versions of DP. It's one of the main reasons why I never tried it back then. Anyway, I love it now. It's like a beautiful and elegant sports car. VVVRRROOOOOOMMM!!!!!

Sorry for your frustration. There should still be a way to decouple the windows, if that's what you want to do.

Mike
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Just started using Consolidated Windows again now they have finally fixed Full Screen mode - fine apart from occasional odd behaviour with the window sets sometimes not showing the Mixer and other windows I popped out of the CW to show on my second display. Weird although it does come back eventually - but not consistent.

Is there some fundamental reason that Motu can't have DP operating in Full Screen mode without being in Consolidated Windows? Really that's the only reason I am using CW as I like the Full Screen mode.....
What would that look like? You always have at least two windows because of the control panel, so don't they have to be put together in a CW to go full screen?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Just to try and derail things... I hated CW windows, mainly because the tabs were set for windows I didn't use.

When the OS went full screen I tried again and now I hate NOT using CW. It's easy to pop a window in or out with ctl-1 and windows are in a reliable location. In scoring to picture, I can still get the movie in full screen on an aux monitor and have all my MIDI, audio, bridge, etc. on the main screen.

I haven't checked yet, but we used to be able to span the CW across two monitors. That was also kind of cool, especially for editing.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
spitfire31

Post by spitfire31 »

Thanks for the feedback, guys! What with unselecting all the options in the Consolidated Editing prefs and also unchecking “Dock in Consolidated Window” in the Control Panel drop down contextual menu, I think I can work around DP9's built-in insistence on Consolidated Editing. ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Just to try and derail things... I hated CW windows, mainly because the tabs were set for windows I didn't use.

When the OS went full screen I tried again and now I hate NOT using CW. It's easy to pop a window in or out with ctl-1 and windows are in a reliable location. In scoring to picture, I can still get the movie in full screen on an aux monitor and have all my MIDI, audio, bridge, etc. on the main screen.

I haven't checked yet, but we used to be able to span the CW across two monitors. That was also kind of cool, especially for editing.
The CW doesn't span across 2 windows at the moment which is a shame, although you can pop out windows to a second monitor - e.g. I had a Mixer window and the Chunks and Markers windows on a second monitor - but the Window Sets saved did not seem to act consistently and sometimes the popped out windows would not re-appear on the second monitor. Still experimenting although I do prefer Full Screen mode - maybe I am missing something in terms of the setup. It was you that got me looking again at the CW with Full Screen mode and its the setup I feel most comfortable with - just need to sort out the switching to different edit windows with the Window Sets - maybe popping windows out as and when could also work.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

After switching to full screen I had to reset windows a bit. For example, if the mixer was on the 2nd monitor and I switched DP to full screen mode, the mixer disappeared. If I called it up with a key command, I could move it back to the 2nd monitor and save a new key command (or replaced an existing one). Then I could call that up even after rebooting the Mac. It kind of makes sense that DP has to tell the OS about being in full screen as opposed to "normal" screen mode, at least that's my understanding based on the behavior I'm observing.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Strange Full Screen mode behaviour in CW seems to have a solution - when I sometimes lose the popped out windows in my Window Set when I return to Full Screen, I discovered if I click Right Command and effectively use Mission Control, if I then select the Space that has DP in it, hey presto the popped out windows have returned and all work in Full Screen mode. Not exactly Shooshie's Spaces but effective - so maybe this is all workable after all. Probably bears a bit more experimentation - maybe some of the window strangeness can be solved by re-selecting in Mission Control?
Gary Shepherd
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

David Polich wrote:Phil O just beat me to the answer.

I've been working without the CW for a couple of weeks now and love it. Minor irritant though - even with the first two items unchecked above - sessions that were done with the CW still open in CW mode. I have to close that CW and click on the window set I made for when I don't use the CW. Then I'm where I want to be.