DP9: Automation lane question!!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tesionman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9: Automation lane question!!!

Post by Tesionman »

Howdy!

Is there a way to select only the automation points in the automation lane without selecting the soundbite?
Its a bit annoying always selecting the automation in the soundbite lane to delete it without deleting the soundbite.

cheers
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
bayswater

Re: DP9: Automation lane question!!!

Post by bayswater »

I'm having problems with this too -- selection tools not working properly in the lanes. On my iMac, the pointer tool works like the range selection tool, regardless of the preferences set in the Edit>Tools section. Like your setup, deleting the selection in the lane also deletes other events in the range selected. My only workaround at this point is to click-select one automation event at a time.

On my MBP, it works a bit differently. With the same preferences, the pointer tool works as a lasso in the MIDI automation lanes but as a range selection tool in Audio automation lanes. In either case, I can select events as those tools normally do, but then I can't delete them, or do anything else with them. The appear selected but no actions are possible.

Also odd: if the track has a controller in front, and there is a lane open with the same controller, I can't selected any automation events in the track or the lane.

Hard to imagine that it was meant to work this way. Maybe Shooshie can figure it out. I can't. I'm not going to spend any more time on this until we see 9.01.

(I posted a tech link for this. Lanes are not that useful as it sits.)
Last edited by bayswater on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

If you click one of the automation points after making your selection, it keeps the point selection without the soundbite. This does need to be fixed, but that's a workaround for now.

Like this:

----

I have also noticed that the I-Beam tool does not select the correct track at all if you try to use it on an automation lane. See the gif below, and notice that it's not even selecting the same track that I'm clicking the automation lane for!

edit: I just noticed my guitar buss somehow ended up in my keys folder... It's so annoying to try and move a track to another folder :smash:
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks RR. That's a good short term workaround. I also noticed the range selection sometimes, but not always, selects the wrong track.
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Robert Randolph wrote:If you click one of the automation points after making your selection, it keeps the point selection without the soundbite. This does need to be fixed, but that's a workaround for now.

Like this:

Yeah, that'll work! But yeah, hope they fix it! Thanks Rob!

cheers
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Lovin' your GIFs, Robert.

I appreciate now why you asked about how to post them here, or if indeed it was possible.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

monkey man wrote:Lovin' your GIFs, Robert.

I appreciate now why you asked about how to post them here, or if indeed it was possible.
What I was mostly interested in was the ability to resize them. Sometimes I want to post larger ones, and the forum 'breaks' by cutting off the image. If I could resize them then I could post much more informative ones.

Thank you though :) The software I use is called LiceCap. Crossplatform and it works very well.

edit: Link won't work because of the ridiculous censorship 'feature' on this forum. You'll just have to google it yourself. :mumble:
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Ha! No worries, mate.

It's good to know it's easily done. No use for it yet. Technological luddite.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MOTU's response to the tech link is that this is a known bug that will be fixed in an update.