2010 MacBook too slow for DP8 project??

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 2010 MacBook too slow for DP8 project??

Post by mikehalloran »

EMRR wrote:At least the 2008 is the removable battery, it's ready for its 3rd if all goes well. Seems like it would have more headroom for battery expansion before problems occurred.
First off, nearly all of the portables have user replaceable batteries and OWC sells most of them. The Unibody MB and MBP batteries are more difficult so watch the videos and be careful that you are organized when pulling out the screws so that, when you are done, you have none left over.

As for the expanding battery issue. Here are some pictures. Rather than taking my own, uploading to a hosting site and editing for size, I just decided to pull some from the internet to demonstrate what I mean.

This is what my 2008 MBP looks like, more or less. Cracked motherboard but it still powers up and works sort of.

This is closer to my daughter's unibody. It took a couple of hours to go from normal to something like this:

Both computers were hitting the 5 year mark when this happened.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dewdman42 wrote:oh yea, I could see that being useful. If you're gonna play to a backing track anyway, then why not!
That was my thought. In my case, since I'm lead singing and playing guitar, not having to worry about stepping on buttons to recall different sounds during a song helps me focus on just singing and playing and not making tricky guitar effects changes that have to happen at just the right point in the song. There's one song where I have to switch between a basic rhythm sound, then to a intelligent harmonizer patch for short (harmonized) lead line, then back to rhythm, then back to harmonizer, all in perfect time WHILE singing over it. It just would be ridiculously difficult to do otherwise (unless I could create preset "chains" where hitting the same button repeatedly advances through a specific sequence of presets—which I don't have the capability of doing.)

I also use a wireless headset mic, so I can pretty much walk around wherever I want to on stage and do not have to be chained to one spot on the stage to either sing into a conventional stand mic, or to work a MIDI foot controller. I also use pre-recorded continuous controller to control certain effect parameters. The first few times I played with my "robo rig" I was all excited about it because it was novel... now I take it for granted. I'm fortunate that my drummer is really good at playing with a click track.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Wow Mike, I get it now. That's hard to imagine without an example.

James, I've spent some time with some 44.1/24 audio only projects on the '08 4,1, actually running them from a thumb drive, no problems on playback. 20+ audio tracks, EQ on every, maybe a half dozen with 2-3 plugs. No VI's, no MIDI. FWIW.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing