Splitting MIDI track

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cleamon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Splitting MIDI track

Post by cleamon »

I need to split a MIDI track into multiple tracks. The track has 4 parts, as in a horn section, but my VI only plays solo. Is there a plugin that can do this? Or some "magic" selection tool in DP that will allow me to "select" highest note, cut, paste, etc., repeat...
Thanks in advance.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
philbrown

Re: Splitting MIDI track

Post by philbrown »

Region>Split Notes
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

philbrown wrote:Region>Split Notes
Thanks for that, looks like what I need, BUT it doesn't seem to be working correctly. The chords in the original are quantized, so they are precisely on the same "tick", yet when I use split "top 1 note of each chord", the resulting new track has all 4 notes, the original is left empty. No other criteria was specified.
I was using DP9, so I'm going back to 8.07 and see if it's the same.
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

cleamon wrote:
Thanks for that, looks like what I need, BUT it doesn't seem to be working correctly. The chords in the original are quantized, so they are precisely on the same "tick", yet when I use split "top 1 note of each chord", the resulting new track has all 4 notes, the original is left empty. No other criteria was specified.
Sounds like a bug. I never use that so I wouldn't know.
You might try Edit > Search.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

philbrown wrote:
cleamon wrote:
Sounds like a bug. I never use that so I wouldn't know.
You might try Edit > Search.
Ok got it. Even though in the event list, all of my notes were EXACTLY on the same tick (i.e. 1:1:000) , apparently they were not. I used Region->DeFlam, then tried the region->Split, and it worked fine.
Chuck