pops and clicks -performance issue question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gate 13
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

pops and clicks -performance issue question

Post by Gate 13 »

Hello,
I have a Mac (quad core) with 10.6.8 OS
memory 13GB
Plogue bidule
digital performer 7

I have all of my East West products in different instances of Play inside Plogue Bidule.
I use an orchestral template with many instruments in DP7
In each instance I have similar patches so I can save memory.

I have also installed 3 different hard drives in my mac and spread out the different libraries.
all of my softwares are up to date

questions:
1)How come even with a very few instruments playing in digital performer, I get clicks and pops, a sign of overloading....
2) I just purchased a 2TB external drive (WD Passport I think is called). Will it help to put some libraries in this external hard drive as well? Is the connection of the hard drive to mac (USB or Firewire) matters?
3) can you give me any tips of how to improve my issue with overload performance which causes pops and clicks? I thought with all the steps I have made , I wouldn't have any issues! Buying more memory, I don't think it will help!
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
Gravity Jim

Re: pops and clicks -performance issue question

Post by Gravity Jim »

Are you actually seeing an overload in the CPU window when this happens? Because that's not the only cause of pops and clicks.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

I see at DP the meter going red
I can give more details tomorrow but in general what other steps I should get in order to improve performance?
Are my steps so far OK?
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

In my experience, it's the PLAY engine that's causing you the trouble. I run Bidule and DP, and it was ALWAYS the PLAY engine that was the culprit for me. Just one channel of string staccatos coming from Bidule would max the DP meter and cause clicks/pops. Meanwhile, Kontakt does not do that. I can play hundreds and hundreds of notes from Kontakt without issue.

Ultimately I'm sorry to say, I uninstalled PLAY and I don't use those libs anymore…..and it's a shame because I have a lot of EW libs. I have one external Windows pc, but I only allow Kontakt on that machine. I can leave that thing on for months without issue. Maybe someday I'll experiment with PLAY on another pc. I hear it behaves a bit better on pc…..ah well…..I really had hoped EW would figure out PLAY on a Mac, but they never did seem to…..at least not in my experience.

-g
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

I think you are right about Play!
It is really a shame not to fix this... We have year 2015....