DP very bogged down until song is Playing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cbergm7210
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP very bogged down until song is Playing

Post by cbergm7210 »

Here's a new one just figured out. At the end of projects DP invariably gets bogged down from all the plug-ins and such, acting super slow to the point of pulling hair out which can be frustrating to say the least.

Today I accidentally noticed that DP went back to acting instantaneous as long as the song was playing. I suspect it has something to do with plug-ins running in real time or not etc. Either way, this will save much time as mixes are completed in the final hours. Tweaking automation and other things will now be as fast as it is in the beginning stages of projects.

I have no idea why this works, but if it saves time for others I figured I'd post it to the Motunation brotherhood.

Movie:

http://vid300.photobucket.com/albums/nn ... ygasuo.mp4
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
mhschmieder

Re: DP very bogged down until song is Playing

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks for posting. This might explain some issues I've been facing lately.

My new SSD arrived today though, and DP 9 should swing by on Friday, so along with an upgrade to Yosemite later this week, maybe I'll be in Happy Heaven even before following the advice in the video. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'm just thinking out loud here, CB, but it might be worth taking a look at the three settings I haven't looked at in years, Work Quanta, Prime Seconds, and Max Work Percent. A few years back I spent a whole day trying to quantify how these setting related to performance.
Do they interact? - Don't know.
Are there settings better than what I finally chose? - Don't know.
Do they have an impact on performance? - Absolutely.
Even after twiddling for so long (quite systematically as I recall), I came away with only a vague sense of what these settings really do.
I don't know if changing these settings can improve performance while nothing is playing, but it might be worth investigating.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Phil O wrote:I'm just thinking out loud here, CB, but it might be worth taking a look at the three settings I haven't looked at in years, Work Quanta, Prime Seconds, and Max Work Percent. A few years back I spent a whole day trying to quantify how these setting related to performance.
Do they interact? - Don't know.
Are there settings better than what I finally chose? - Don't know.
Do they have an impact on performance? - Absolutely.
Even after twiddling for so long (quite systematically as I recall), I came away with only a vague sense of what these settings really do.
I don't know if changing these settings can improve performance while nothing is playing, but it might be worth investigating.

Phil
Thanks Phil Man. I'll check those again for sure. Although I've twiddled myself on these parameters not a little in the past. :)

What I find completely revealing (about whatever is going on behind the scenes in DP that I have no clue) is the difference in how DP is acting on my system between playing and not playing. Bogging down almost to the point of ridiculous when not playing, then acting spot on, incredibly "snappy" when playing. Gotta be a bottleneck somewhere.

I bring DP to its knees regularly like this so for whatever it's worth I'll take the workaround.

Any of ya'll drag DP down to the point of one to three seconds between clicks of the mouse? If so, I'd be curious to see if it reacts better when playing the song as in this case.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Your suggestion is easy to test. Just turn off Pre-Gen in the Plugins preferences.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

bayswater wrote:Your suggestion is easy to test. Just turn off Pre-Gen in the Plugins preferences.
Yes, I have things set at Real Time. Thanks for the reminder.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Did that work?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

bayswater wrote:Did that work?
Sorry...plug's were already set to Real Time, no pre-gen coming into play here.

chadd

Post by chadd »

Yuck. I haven't come across that one before. I wonder if there's something wrong with Background Processing in your setup. It's as if DP stops chewing on something on play to allocate resources to playback, then goes back to it's gnawing again when stopped. Have you tried watching Activity Monitor while stopped and playing back? I'm curious if the CPUs or GPU are pegged when it's sluggish.
2022 Mac Studio, 32GB RAM, OS 12.6, DP 11.2, Metric Halo LIO-8/4p, micro lite, EWQLSO Gold, Waves Gold, Komplete 6, Stylus RMX, Slate VCC & VTM