Is anyone managing to run low buffer sizes on DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is anyone managing to run low buffer sizes on DP?

Post by EMRR »

Anything under 256 will have glitching here. I might get away with 64 or 128 for a very brief time, but processor spike is sure to come, and bad enough to leave evidence. Appears to be DP and not computer, computer isn't breaking a sweat.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I have no problems at 128, but will raise buffer at mix time to avoid trouble. I can run at 64, but 128 is usually responsive enough for me using VIs.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I run at 256 for tracking VI's. For me the
latency at that buffer is negligible. For recording
live players/singers, I track at 512, and for
mixing I run it at 1024.

One caveat..I run all live inputs through a
desk (my trusty old but great-sounding Soundcraft
328). I bus the signals from the desk into
an Apogee Duet which sends it into my Mac
and thus DP. I monitor the output from DP on my
Soundcraft desk. This way, I never have any
latency when recording live performers or
external keyboards.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

It is handy to, at times when the mix is close, the buffer is large (or lookahead limiter is in use) and a new part needs to be added, to record MIDI using a hardware synth then replace with VI sound if necessary. Just did that tonight with my Motif when a brief trombone part (Down at the Nightclub) needed to be added in a live recording I was mixing.
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

One annoying thing when adjusting the buffer is that VIs have to reload... takes an awful lot of time with large samples, such as Eastwest's............... Speaking of which, Play is still one of the worst in that regard, even at 512, large samples can give me tons of playback errors with only 8-10 channels playing, for example a legato flute + celli/slur/portamento is impossible to play in realtime without errors. 10 MIDI channels on a 12 core MacPro with 40 GB of ram shouldn't be too difficult. I have better performance at 1024 of course, but then you can forget recording properly.

For live recording, 128 is usually my choice - I go to to 64 in rare occasions.
For VIs, I like to be at 256, depending on which VI I'm using (see above :wink: )
For mixing, I delete my V-Rack and go to 1024.
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

Morpheo wrote:. . . Play is still one of the worst in that regard, even at 512, large samples can give me tons of playback errors with only 8-10 channels playing, for example a legato flute + celli/slur/portamento is impossible to play in realtime without errors. 10 MIDI channels on a 12 core MacPro with 40 GB of ram shouldn't be too difficult. I have better performance at 1024 of course, but then you can forget recording properly. . . .
Sadly, I share similar frustrations with Play.

I recently did the "Refurbishing Thing" (by another kind soul more experienced in switching CPUs than I am) so now I have a refurbished 2009/2010 Mac Pro (12-Core 3.33 GHz CPUs with 32 GBs 1333 MHz RAM). This refurbished computer ROCKS! Except. . . except for Play. A couple of months ago, I took advantage of a sale with their "Hollywood Orchestra Diamond Bundle", which really was a nice sale. My hope was that this refurbished Mac Pro would better handle this Bundle. (I currently have this Hollywood Orchestra Bundle split between two computers - noted in my signature line). Overall, all is well except for certain Hollywood Strings patches which is housed on my "new" refurbished Mac Pro. I am STILL getting CPU spikes with the buffer set at 128 and even 256. I have difficulty sequencing with a buffer set above 256. Because of this, I am currently using (again) my older string patches as I create my new orchestral templet. I was really hoping to use East/West's Hollywood Orchestra Strings. Until I figure out how they can successfully be used, they're just going to quietly sit inside its SSD. By the way, the SSD that the Hollywood Orchestra Strings resides in is one of OWC's PCIe-based SSD which is otherwise blazingly fast and quite dependable. UGH!!!
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.