Using a Scroll Wheel on Faders?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using a Scroll Wheel on Faders?

Post by bayswater »

Wasn't there once a way in DP to reverse the direction the faders move when you use a scroll wheel? The default direction may make sense with a mouse, but with a trackpad, it's backwards. Drag down, fader goes up.

And is there a way to adjust the ratio of movement between the scroll wheel and the fader? Now, dragging about 20% of the vertical distance of the trackpad moves a fader from the bottom to the top. With the Command key I have to cover the distance of the trackpad 4 times to get the same distance. So a smooth fade is impossible in both cases. Some sort of middle point where one span of the trackpad moves the fader from bottom to top would be great. Maybe there's some sort of third party utility.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Re: Using a Scroll Wheel on Faders?

Post by Shooshie »

With the Trackpad (or any mouse, for that matter) you can always work with the system settings. There, the scrolling direction can be reversed, too, but as you probably know, it always works opposite in DP. Set the scrolling in the System Prefs for "natural" scrolling (window moves same direction as fingers), and the faders in DP will move the opposite way. Set it for the old kind of scrolling, where windows move opposite to the fingers (which I've got 30 years of muscle memory telling me is right), and DP's faders will move the same direction as the fingers.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:With the Trackpad (or any mouse, for that matter) you can always work with the system settings. There, the scrolling direction can be reversed, too, but as you probably know, it always works opposite in DP. Set the scrolling in the System Prefs for "natural" scrolling (window moves same direction as fingers), and the faders in DP will move the opposite way. Set it for the old kind of scrolling, where windows move opposite to the fingers (which I've got 30 years of muscle memory telling me is right), and DP's faders will move the same direction as the fingers.

Shooshie
Yes, I knew that, but I just want to reverse the fader direction. Want to keep window scrolling as is.
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

I wish this could be set on a per application basis. That would solve it.
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Better Touch Tool does have per application setups, but I'm afraid that conventional window scrolling and fader scrolling would conflict in the same application.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I went with the "disable scroll wheel control of faders" approach; saved me lots of messed up unintentional fader moves.
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

HCMarkus wrote:I went with the "disable scroll wheel control of faders" approach; saved me lots of messed up unintentional fader moves.
+1
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:I went with the "disable scroll wheel control of faders" approach; saved me lots of messed up unintentional fader moves.
I had done that too in V8, so I guess I've tried this before, but it came on by default in V9. Too bad -- the large trackpad size is just about right for decent fader travel if it could be set up properly.