Font Size

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Font Size

Post by swpowe »

I know this will make me sound old but…is there anyway to change the font size in DP? Somethings are just crazy hard to see sometimes. :boohoo:
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Font Size

Post by bayswater »

No you can't. I've dealt with it in one of two ways. First, the biggest problem is with column headings, like those in the Tracks window. Editing a theme so the background of the heading is white helps when using a theme with black text to get a bit more contrast. Second, just reduce screen resolution. Almost everything on the screen is zoomable graphics, so you get larger text, and can adjust the size of everything else so it is similar to what you saw at higher resolution. This depends on having a monitor that works well at a non native resolution.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Not a font/DP solution but, under OS X System Preferences -> Accessibility make sure you have Zoom turned on. Then you can use Cmd-Opt + and - to zoom the whole screen in and out. Probably everybody knows this trick by now, but just in case ... I use this all the time if there some tiny thing on the screen I can't read.

Best,
Babz
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

One thing I do not like about DP is the mixer controls are so small. Sends are very small , can hardly see them in the heat of battle. I like the size of the PT mixer, much easier to work with.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

apanacci wrote:One thing I do not like about DP is the mixer controls are so small. Sends are very small , can hardly see them in the heat of battle. I like the size of the PT mixer, much easier to work with.
If you make the mixer parts bigger, you have less room for other things. If that's OK, you can deal with by simply changing screen resolution and adjusting the layout other screen elements, like sidebar width, track height etc..

For example, here are two screen shots at different resolutions. One shows a bigger mixer at the expense of showing fewer tracks.

Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

You can just detach the mixer, and use the channel strip. That's how I deal with it.

I will say that PT and Cubase's mixer is way nicer... and of all of them, SAW Studio wins hands down. I doubt there's any chance we'd see something like that again though. :boohoo:
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote:You can just detach the mixer, and use the channel strip.

That's how I deal with it.
That doesn't make the mixer elements any bigger.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

bayswater wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:You can just detach the mixer, and use the channel strip.

That's how I deal with it.
That doesn't make the mixer elements any bigger.
I thought you were remarking about something else. My mistake.

DP's mixer elements definitely need to be larger, no doubt.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote:DP's mixer elements definitely need to be larger, no doubt.
Between screen resolution and sizing of panes, you can resize most of DP's display with minor trade offs. If the default column header text font was a bit bigger, there wouldn't be much you couldn't do.
Benreviug

Post by Benreviug »

I cannot believe that a £350 piece of software does not have this functionality. Bizarre. I dont mean to knock it against other DAW’s which do, since DP 9.5 has not crashed on me yet, unlike other DAW’s i could mention.
But the lack of a very basic function is simply staggering. I tried Babz’s tip also - nice suggestion - but it seemed to void all the tracks except the master fader in the mixer.
Someone in massachusets needs a serious kick up the arse.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

[Crosspost Bump+1000]. I'm still on my heavily-modded cheesegrater Mac Pro 3.5GHz 12 core which has plenty of life in it; enough to get me to the first revision of the forthcoming mac pro I hope and/or another generation into the great What'sNext. The Mojave update will require Metal-compatible GPU cards, all of which allow 4K resolution; and since 4K monitors are now essentially just slices of TV, they're inexpensive and awesome. And never mind people with newer CPUs:

High pixel density is quickly becoming the bog-standard present as much as the future.

It's time for bigger fonts in DP. Even if not a fully procedural resizable GUI update, just a BIGFONT theme or two, or a scale-doubling render kludge as a bandaid would be a blessing. Half of my DP keystrokes consist of toggling zoom now. So nice to be able to see so much of what's going on; just need to be able to read those leeeeetle characters now.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

jloeb wrote:It's time for bigger fonts in DP.
+1

Running 4k monitor here. Would love to have the ability to resize fonts.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

As a workaround, I used two screen resolutions with copies of the screensets suited to each of them. Most of the interface is graphical so for the most part the two resolutions look the same except for the text size.

But I've been doing this for nearly 10 years since I got a 27" iMac. It's getting really tired, and time for MOTU to get the user interface updated. I'd note that Logic did this some time ago, but the text is lighter grey on darker grey, so lots of room for improvement there. In the Environment, some objects have white text on a white background, and that's really hard to read in any resolution.