Custom Themes in DP 9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Phaedrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Custom Themes in DP 9

Post by Phaedrum »

https://www.evernote.com/l/Aj85yiyqoedG ... /image.png
https://www.evernote.com/l/Aj9hTx2Z32xG ... /image.png

I find that most of the factory themes for DP are too bright (and low contrast) for my subdued-lighting studio (I suspect the DP folks are crafting those themes under relatively intense lighting). Consequently, I find very few of the themes usable. My workaround--which I thought might be of some interest--is to MIX & MATCH elements from any number of themes. This involves two simple steps (affecting basic text properties and graphics elements, respectively) after locating the theme files in the Application Support/MOTU/Digital Performer/Themes folder (as previously described for older DP versions by the AMPGUI guru):

1) Select your "base" theme file (one that comes closest to your ideal). Show Package Contents and open the Contents folder and then the Resources folder. Edit the Style.xml file via a word processor (TextEdit is fine). Now you can make various window backgrounds, and their associated text, darker or brighter. For example, one simple change to "kSmallListActiveTextColor" will change the brightness of white text (or add color to the text) in many of the list-based windows (see the changes I made from white text to colored text in the attached screenshot examples); changing the value associated with "kPrimaryContentBackground" will brighten or darken the Tracks window background; changing "kSecondaryContentBackground" to a smaller value will darken the modulation window below the main Sequence window.

2) Now the really fun part: Mix and match selected graphics elements by replacing a group of elements (i.e., PNG files) from the Resources file of one theme with those of another (see my first screenshot for modifications of theme "None More Black" to make it a bit more ergonomic). In my second example, I replaced the Mixer of the "Nine" theme with that of the "Titan" theme by simply copying the 18 PNG files beginning with "kMixer..." from the "Titan" theme file's Resources to the "Nine" Resources file. Similarly, I completely altered the Transport graphics by switching out two associated PNG files.

As long as you make a back-up copy of the theme you alter, you should be free to custom design your own DP 9 theme
Last edited by Phaedrum on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Pro (Early 2008), 8-Core Xeon, 16 GB RAM, SSD & 2 HD, OS X 10.10, DP 9, MOTU 2408 MK 3, MOTU 1224.
Guitar Gaz

Re: Custom Themes in DP 9

Post by Guitar Gaz »

If you search in this forum you will see that a number of us do this and have reported back on it several times with instructions and themes for others to use - corbo billy is one, I am another. I customise all the time - lately I like the colours of Round is Right but have changed the mixer, faders, control panel, counter, etc. - its a work in progress. You can edit the png files for colours too - things can get seriously out of hand.....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Phaedrum

Post by Phaedrum »

You are correct--indeed, I believe you and I were two of those who reported the technique for DP 7 (while Amplidood took it to a whole new level)--but I wanted to make it clear for new DP 9 users that it can still be easily done. I'm also hoping that MOTU might come across the post and realize that their presets are heavily biased toward those working in strongly lighted studios (I and many others find far too many of their presets almost blindingly bright with minimal contrast).
Mac Pro (Early 2008), 8-Core Xeon, 16 GB RAM, SSD & 2 HD, OS X 10.10, DP 9, MOTU 2408 MK 3, MOTU 1224.
yamguitar

Post by yamguitar »

There are a lot of fantastic new features in DP 9, but I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when there was only one new theme... and another grey-heavy one at that. I love switching my themes around for different projects. Oh, well.
4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 32GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 • MOTU M6 • DP 11.31, Reason 12.7.4, Dorico Elements 5.1