DP9 install, now generic doc icons

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9 install, now generic doc icons

Post by SMS »

Since installing DP9 all my DP docs only show a generic icon. How to fix?

Thanks

Bill
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
musicman691

Re: DP9 install, now generic doc icons

Post by musicman691 »

SMS wrote:Since installing DP9 all my DP docs only show a generic icon. How to fix?

Thanks

Bill
Don't think that can be done unless you change each instance yourself. Haven't really noticed that but then again I don't much care what the icon looks like - I look at the name first.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Oddly enough my DP9 docs still have the DP8 logo. No biggie, but I don't know what the fix is, either.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
billf

Post by billf »

Same here. Looks like a bug.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Have you tried repairing disk permissions in the Disk Utility app? That often fixes icon weirdness.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

All my DP 8 and 9 docs have generic icons. This must be because of different settings for defaults apps, etc.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:All my DP 8 and 9 docs have generic icons. This must be because of different settings for defaults apps, etc.
Could well be. When I went to open a DP session (DP wasn't running) out of curiosity I did a right click on the session icon (this was a session done in DP8.07) and selected 'open with' it showed DP9 as the default program to open it with. So I double clicked the icon and yep - it opened DP9.

So even though you can have DP8 and DP9 installed in the same partition DP9 becomes the default.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Had a weird one happen yesterday. On the drive where I have all my sessions I have two folders. One for DP and one for ProTools. All the DP sessions had a DP8 icon for the program file. I started DP9. Went to a folder where I have some downloaded MIDI files; right clicked on one file and selected to open it in DP9. Did that so DP doesn't strip out the tempo data (does DP9 still strip that out or was that just earlier DP versions?). File opens up just fine. I do some work with it, periodically hitting cmd-s to save the file. When I'm done working I do a final save and quit DP.

Lo and behold I go to check that the session is saved where I think it should be and not in just the session I just worked on but the other 6 DP sessions I have all had their session icons changed to a generic blank white icon.

This is using DP9 downloaded from MOTU and not the one on the dvd. That one has other issues like the Channel Strip not changing when I go to an Instrument track from say an aux or audio track.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

When I bring in MIDI files, DP always asks if I want to "merge" its conductor track. It's never ignored.

As for icons: once DP 9 was installed, all projects had the new icon. Maybe you need to check whether DP 9 is the default application for DP projects.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:When I bring in MIDI files, DP always asks if I want to "merge" its conductor track. It's never ignored.

As for icons: once DP 9 was installed, all projects had the new icon. Maybe you need to check whether DP 9 is the default application for DP projects.
DP9 is the default for all projects because I set it that way. It was only yesterday that I lost the DP icon and things became the generic icon.

As to the tempo data why is there a post by b.g. in the DP Tips Sheet thread at this page: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=135 about half-way down the page stating that dragging a standard MIDI file into DP's chunks window strips tempo data?
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Update:
I have two boot partitions on my iMac; had to use one of the programs I have on the OSX 10.8.5 partition which only has DP8 on it. Those same DP projects I wrote about earlier had the DP8 icon on the project file. When done with the work I had to do I rebooted the computer into it's default of OSX 10.9.5 which has both DP8.07 and DP9 and the icons were generic; the DP8 icon was gone. All projects are on an external drive so they can be seen in whatever partition I boot into.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:As to the tempo data why is there a post by b.g. in the DP Tips Sheet thread at this page: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=135 about half-way down the page stating that dragging a standard MIDI file into DP's chunks window strips tempo data?
Dunno. I drag them into the TO. I get the message: "This drag contains a conductor track. Would you like to merge the dragged data into the sequence's conductor track?" with options to Ignore | Cancel | Merge