Editing Volume/Pan etc info in DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
apanacci
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Editing Volume/Pan etc info in DP9

Post by apanacci »

Hey guys, in DP8 when you were in the sequence window and had volume info chosen the waveform was "behind" the volume line. When I would highlight a certain area of volume dots or points and then erase the info , it would erase the wave form behind it. I found that frustrating. In ProTools if you did that it would just erase the volume point info. Has that changed in PT9? I know it has lanes now. Does that still happens in 9 if you do what I said it did in 8? When you open up the lane and choose volume does it just get rid of the volume info or does it also get rid of the waveform? Thanks !
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
daniel.sneed

Re: Editing Volume/Pan etc info in DP9

Post by daniel.sneed »

AFAICT, in DP8, it depends of the selecting tool.
Hi-beam, "I", behaves like you said.
But pointer, "arrow", does not.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

How would I highlite the dots to delete if there were a few of them ? Which tool selects a group of them ? Also , curious if the i Beam cursor still erases the waveform after I have selected the dots in the lanes ? Thanks
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

apanacci wrote:How would I highlite the dots to delete if there were a few of them ? Which tool selects a group of them ? Also , curious if the i Beam cursor still erases the waveform after I have selected the dots in the lanes ? Thanks
Good question! I've been messing with the DP9 demo, and it seems as if you can't lasso select multiple points in an automation lane. The data in question must be displayed on the top track and selected there, for it to highlight in the automation lane as well. Very strange.
Also, time range selections can't be isolated to just a particular automation lane. They apply to the parent track and all visible lanes. So making a time range selection and hitting delete, would indeed delete audio and other parameters.

Maybe there's something I'm missing...

Carlos
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

csavetman wrote:
apanacci wrote:How would I highlite the dots to delete if there were a few of them ? Which tool selects a group of them ? Also , curious if the i Beam cursor still erases the waveform after I have selected the dots in the lanes ? Thanks
Good question! I've been messing with the DP9 demo, and it seems as if you can't lasso select multiple points in an automation lane. The data in question must be displayed on the top track and selected there, for it to highlight in the automation lane as well. Very strange.
Also, time range selections can't be isolated to just a particular automation lane. They apply to the parent track and all visible lanes. So making a time range selection and hitting delete, would indeed delete audio and other parameters.

Maybe there's something I'm missing…

Carlos

Ok. So you can select control points in an automaton lane, (just without the lasso), but because you can't isolate the range selection to just a single lane, any points that fall in that selection on different lanes get highlighted as well.

It seems that control points in the Bite Volume lane however, can not be selected unless it is displayed in the top track as well.

Carlos
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

If the automation is the top layer, then the Pointer tool becomes a lasso tool.

You can click on individual automation nodes (the tool becomes a finger) or drag around several nodes to select them. Only the selection is deleted and not the underlying audio, or MIDI.

This is still new to me so I may be missing something. Dragging with the Pointer tool in the new automation lane causes I-beam (time range selection) behavior which will delete the background audio.

Looks like making automation the top layer vs. showing it in a separate lane is the way to go.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

wvandyck wrote:You can click on individual automation nodes (the tool becomes a finger) or drag around several nodes to select them. Only the selection is deleted and not the underlying audio, or MIDI.
I've been able to select automation events a number of ways, but there does not appear to be a way to delete the selected events. Instead I drag an adjacent event over those to be deleted. For that of course you don't need to select the eventz to be removed. Just select one event to the left of the range you want to remove and drag it to the first event to the right of the range.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

bayswater wrote:
wvandyck wrote:You can click on individual automation nodes (the tool becomes a finger) or drag around several nodes to select them. Only the selection is deleted and not the underlying audio, or MIDI.
I've been able to select automation events a number of ways, but there does not appear to be a way to delete the selected events. Instead I drag an adjacent event over those to be deleted. For that of course you don't need to select the eventz to be removed. Just select one event to the left of the range you want to remove and drag it to the first event to the right of the range.
It may be that we're making different points.

The thread starter's question was about how to select an area of volume automation, then delete it without deleting the underlying audio. When automation is on the top layer, the pointer automatically becomes a lasso for a quick draw over a range of nodes. Once the nodes are selected, they can be deleted. Your method works as well, but I prefer a quick sweep over the range to select nodes to be deleted.

Clicking on one then dragging over another deletes a few. Double-clicking on one selects all of them. This works great in the new automation lanes as I just discovered. However the lasso is only available on the top layer and not in the new lanes
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

wvandyck wrote:It may be that we're making different points.

The thread starter's question was about how to select an area of volume automation, then delete it without deleting the underlying audio. When automation is on the top layer, the pointer automatically becomes a lasso for a quick draw over a range of nodes. Once the nodes are selected, they can be deleted. Your method works as well, but I prefer a quick sweep over the range to select nodes to be deleted.

Clicking on one then dragging over another deletes a few. Double-clicking on one selects all of them. This works great in the new automation lanes as I just discovered. However the lasso is only available on the top layer and not in the new lanes
well I can't get it to work the way you describe. Can't get the lasso to select and can't delete. I'll try again.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

In case I was not very clear, I'm using the delete key: Lasso selection followed by clicking the delete key.
I'll make a QT movie in the next day or so, then post it here.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

wvandyck wrote:In case I was not very clear, I'm using the delete key: Lasso selection followed by clicking the delete key.
Yes, delete key. That's what I tried. Does nothing here. Strange.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bayswater wrote:
wvandyck wrote:In case I was not very clear, I'm using the delete key: Lasso selection followed by clicking the delete key.
Yes, delete key. That's what I tried. Does nothing here. Strange.
Still strange. What you suggested works on my iMac, but not on the MBP. I can select automation events on both Macs that same way, but the delete key only works on the iMac to remove the events selected. On the MBP, nothing happens on pressing the delete key.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

bayswater wrote: Still strange. What you suggested works on my iMac, but not on the MBP. I can select automation events on both Macs that same way, but the delete key only works on the iMac to remove the events selected. On the MBP, nothing happens on pressing the delete key.
That is strange.
It works as expected on my 2010 MBP/OSX 10.10.4, and 2012 Mini/OSX 10.10.3.
Both with DP 8.07 and 9.