How to Automate Entire Effect

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Centris
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to Automate Entire Effect

Post by Centris »

I thought I used to know how to do this. But how do I automate an entire Effect, for a segment of a track. I've gone to Automate in the Sequence Editor and I have the usual choices ( Volume, Pan, etc) then I have the Insert Effect listed. The problem is it has about 15 choices in the Insert - to automate this filter and I need the whole filter effect. And I need to draw it in at certain parts of the track. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Tritonemusic

Re: How to Automate Entire Effect

Post by Tritonemusic »

Take an "Automation Snapshot." Under "Data Types", select "All data types in Effects Window".
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Also, if it's an all or nothing situation, you can always automate the effect mute button, or if the effect has a wet-dry control, automate that. Just thinking out loud.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil O wrote: the effect mute button
you mean bypass?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

bayswater wrote:
Phil O wrote: the effect mute button
you mean bypass?
Yes, thank you for that clarification.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Tim

Post by Tim »

In Automation Setup, activate what you need (Effects Bypass, Efx Parameter, etc.). Put the track in Write, or Touch Write mode. click on the Bypass button, move a knob, and the data for those will show up in the track.
Centris

Post by Centris »

Thanks all! I figured some of this out finally. Here is the breakdown. Tritonemusic - Not having much luck figuring the Snapshot out. I need to go through the manual more on Snapshots.

Now on to the Bypass. That got me started for what my original question was and works correctly. Then when I tried Tim's advice, I realized I wouldn't see any Automation lines till I started moving knobs to see it draw in.

However, I found I didn't even need to go to Automation set up, as it draws the Automation for the different effects without adding them. Strange? So basically I can enable any parameter and start drawing automation of any parameter and it works.