DP9 & Reason Rewire Bug

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tesionman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9 & Reason Rewire Bug

Post by Tesionman »

I posted this in several places but nobody answers.
Hope the devs fix this. Its so annoying. I use Reason a lot.

I found a bug/glitch in DP9.
When Rewired to Reason, from the moment I record(or import) something from Reason, the volume automatically doubles and even clips without even changing any volume.
I tested this in DP8 and this doesn't happen so must be a DP9 bug.
If anybody uses Reason, please test this in DP9 and confirm.

Cheers
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
Tesionman

Re: DP9 & Reason Rewire Bug

Post by Tesionman »

Yep!! DP9 rewired to Reason is broken. :(

Hope they fix this!

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Tesionman wrote:Yep!! DP9 rewired to Reason is broken. :(

Hope they fix this!
It seems to be working fine with me - I just played back some MIDI tracks on my last song - that worked. Then I recorded them from Reason to make audio tracks in DP. Listening back they are fine - so I am unsure what your problem is. When I first loaded Reason with DP9 it asked me to do something on Reason - I can't remember now but I think it was to give permission for Reason to make changes - once I had loaded Reason again it was fine. And this latest test seems to prove that Rewire isn't broken. I wonder if your Reason app has not asked permission to make changes? Maybe download it again and re-install?
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Thanks for testing it!

But I found it only does this with certain Reason Modules(NN19 and Malstrom).
I don't know how you use Reason with DP but I don't do the MIDI in Reason. Reason is only serving as a VI.
I do all the MIDI in DP.
I create an Aux track and route the input to Reason R+L.
Then I create a MIDI track for each module I create in Reason and route the output of each MIDI track to that module in DP.

Like I said, its only happening with certain modules. Its weird. I've been using Reason with DP for years and this never happened. The sound doubles in volume for those modules when you start recording in DP. Turning those modules down in the Reason mixer resolves it but this shouldn't happen.
I tested it in another DAW that I have and this doesn't happen.

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I record MIDI in DP too and I was using the sampler modules so no problems - the only difference is that I have Reason as a V-rack rather than the aux track although essentially this is the same. So unless you have some auto sysex messages being sent I can't see why this happens. However I will test some more. Good luck with this.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Well, Guitar Gaz, Reason in V-rack? Never done this. Awesome! I'll give a try...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

daniel.sneed wrote:Well, Guitar Gaz, Reason in V-rack? Never done this. Awesome! I'll give a try...
You can set it up with 2 different Reason outs to spread the CPU load with say some instruments on Reason out 1-2 and others on out 3-4 - you than have 2 Reason tracks in the V-rack. My examples here show one Reason instance which then just get the tracks to output to Reason in the Tracks Overview.
Gary Shepherd
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Tesionman wrote:Thanks for testing it!

But I found it only does this with certain Reason Modules(NN19 and Malstrom).
I don't know how you use Reason with DP but I don't do the MIDI in Reason. Reason is only serving as a VI.
I do all the MIDI in DP.
I create an Aux track and route the input to Reason R+L.
Then I create a MIDI track for each module I create in Reason and route the output of each MIDI track to that module in DP.

Like I said, its only happening with certain modules. Its weird. I've been using Reason with DP for years and this never happened. The sound doubles in volume for those modules when you start recording in DP. Turning those modules down in the Reason mixer resolves it but this shouldn't happen.
I tested it in another DAW that I have and this doesn't happen.
Reason update 8.3 is released today free to Reason 8 owners - maybe that will solve your issues. Good luck
Gary Shepherd
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Maybe! I'm still on Reason 5.. I didn't have any reason to update. Everything was working great. I'll think about that.
thanks Gaz!

ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

Not to hijack this thread but I've recently started to rewire Reason 8 into DP9.5 (I have the ver10 upgrade but have not installed yet) and I've noticed something that's mildly annoying. I've noticed a couple times that my DP stop time has been "reset" to 5 measures. I haven't really dug into that but on the surface Reason would be the likely suspect as it's the only thing that's changed software wise. I wonder if maybe I need to go into my Reason file and change one of those markers in the sequencer there?