DP9: Is it snappier?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9: Is it snappier?

Post by monkey man »

Robert Randolph wrote:There must be some feature you are using in DP that's causing this, or a third-party tool (plugin?) that is not behaving properly with DP9.
I'm betting it's a plug-in.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
robiedobie
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by robiedobie »

DP 9 does not work with large files. I don't know what anyone else considers a large file but I have one with 161 tracks (MIDI and audio combined) and it works easily in DP 8. It opens in 9 but the play button freezes. Even smaller tracks, crawl in comparison. I know all the troubleshooting, tried all the remedies and it simply is crap
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

robiedobie wrote:DP 9 does not work with large files. I don't know what anyone else considers a large file but I have one with 161 tracks (MIDI and audio combined) and it works easily in DP 8. It opens in 9 but the play button freezes. Even smaller tracks, crawl in comparison. I know all the troubleshooting, tried all the remedies and it simply is crap
If you scan the forum you'll see at least two instance of projects with ~250 tracks in DP 9 working well. They might have the remedy you haven't tried.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

robiedobie wrote:DP 9 does not work with large files. I don't know what anyone else considers a large file but I have one with 161 tracks (MIDI and audio combined) and it works easily in DP 8. It opens in 9 but the play button freezes. Even smaller tracks, crawl in comparison. I know all the troubleshooting, tried all the remedies and it simply is crap
Have you tried simply letting DP9 sit for a little while after opening the project?

I saw someone else that had success with that, since there were background processes going on that needed to complete for some reason.

Looking back, I also probably did this. I usually open a project and walk away from my computer to go do other setup work (since I mostly record musicians live, dialog and sampling)... so if there was some sort of issue with DP9 recalculating things, I probably dodged it on accident. :brucelee:
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Robert Randolph wrote:I saw someone else that had success with that, since there were background processes going on that needed to complete for some reason.
I think that's exactly what's going on; nothing more.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
robiedobie
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by robiedobie »

OK-frustration caused me to respond too hastily. I took the advice from some users and checked my plug ins. There was a Vienna Instruments update that I had not yet loaded. After doing so DP 9 worked like a charm. So, I sit here with head bowed in shame and thank you guys for your savvy advice. Onwards and upwards.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

robiedobie wrote:OK-frustration caused me to respond too hastily. I took the advice from some users and checked my plug ins. There was a Vienna Instruments update that I had not yet loaded. After doing so DP 9 worked like a charm. So, I sit here with head bowed in shame and thank you guys for your savvy advice. Onwards and upwards.
We all make mistakes and get frustrated. It happens :!:

Thank you for posting the solution, hopefully it helps someone else. I wish everyone posted the answers to their problems when they figure them out. It makes forums 1000x more useful when you do.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Robert Randolph wrote:
robiedobie wrote:OK-frustration caused me to respond too hastily.
We all make mistakes and get frustrated. It happens :!:
I can learn a lot from this little exchange...

:mumble:

Did I mention stay off my lawn?

:lol:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

monkey man wrote:I'm betting it's a plug-in.
robiedobie wrote:OK-frustration caused me to respond too hastily. I took the advice from some users and checked my plug ins. There was a Vienna Instruments update that I had not yet loaded. After doing so DP 9 worked like a charm. So, I sit here with head bowed in shame and thank you guys for your savvy advice. Onwards and upwards.
Since way back in the day my modicum of operettas has been to blame 3rd-party plugs first. IOW, glitches / issues in DP see my navigating to plug folders and playing the "Components (or whatever) Disabled folder" musical chairs. The last to sit down is the winner... er, loser.

Granted, I've not bought 3rd-p stuff yet and have only run free ones, but my experience seems to translate to the pro stuff too, from what I've read here.

Bowed in shame? Cripes, take a look at my kisser, bro'! Now there's something to be ashamed of.

The thing is that 3rd-party plugs can cause any number of bizarre as well as benign behaviours in DP; until one realises this there's no reason to believe one's somehow failed the MOTUNation Troubleshooting Exam 101. I'm so glad you got it sorted!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Phaedrum wrote:I stand by all the statements I made about the poor performance of DP 9 versus DP 8, with one important caveat: those differences disappear after a variable amount of time (typically 3-5 minutes on my system)!

It appears DP 9 engages in an extraordinary amount of internal processing and disk writing for the first few minutes (again, on my early 2008 Mac Pro) compared to DP 8. During that time, DP is so sluggish as to be unusable (each of the 8 cores shows activity above 58%). Once DP settles down, all is well in DP 9.

I have just ordered a solid state drive in hopes of at least partly ameliorating DP 9's startup sluggishness on my system!

Have you experimented with the controls listed from pages 29 through 35 of the DP9 manual? (also known as the "getting started" manual). They're roughly in the same place in the DP8 Getting Started Manual.

I don't know what else to suggest at this point.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|