DP9: Is it snappier?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9: Is it snappier?

Post by Gravity Jim »

It feels like it runs the same, but it loads project files faster. I'm guessing the improved VI memory handling is the reason. 8.07 ran so well that "snappier" would require anticipation of my desires.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

No, I'm afraid it's not snappier, since it still lacks Absolute Grid Snapping, my #1 most-desired feature.

But it may be have more "presence," thanks to floating plug-in windows, my #2 most-desired feature.

Does this other project you're working on involve bananas, Vegemite, or breathing simian-devolving toxic fumes, Shooshie? You are starting to sound like monkey man! :lol:

Babz
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

To answer Shooshie's question a bit more seriously, I'll say after 1 day of work, entirely done on DP9, here's what I found:

- Projects open faster.
- VIs take as much time as before to load their sounds (obviously!)
- scrolling in the sequence window is a joy - it was a painful waste of time in 8.
- playback cursor is smooth and "fluid", not jumping every 2-3 seconds on a big sequence.
- I had zero, and I mean zero, playback/realtime errors. The day before I had a lot of them with the same project, and same sequence.
- DP9 didn't crash once.

I'm in the middle of a project right now so I can't really explore the new features etc, I'm just completing my mix and stems as this thing has to be finished next week. Some things, as I mentioned above, definitely seem to be going faster in this version.

Also, I love the new theme. I prefer dark in general. :)
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, on both macs. At least with screen redraws. And definitely with scrolling using Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
ritzybiz

Post by ritzybiz »

Robert Randolph wrote:
MikeInBoston wrote:I don't think it's snappier. And I'm still getting a spinning beach ball (that lasts for a few seconds) after I do certain things, just like in DP8.

Mike
Same. I notice no difference in snappiness.

I am getting stuff done a lot faster with some of the new minor features though. Sequence window selection is just huge for me (among other things).
Sequence window selection? What do you refer to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
MacBook Pro, 16GB, OSX 10.11
DP10, Studio One, PT, Logic X, Sibelius, Live, Reason
Apogee Duet, Apogee Ensemble
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

It's snapping at my wallet....
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

ritzybiz wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
MikeInBoston wrote:I don't think it's snappier. And I'm still getting a spinning beach ball (that lasts for a few seconds) after I do certain things, just like in DP8.

Mike
Same. I notice no difference in snappiness.

I am getting stuff done a lot faster with some of the new minor features though. Sequence window selection is just huge for me (among other things).
Sequence window selection? What do you refer to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
You can now select tracks the same way you can in any other OS X application. Hold shift and click 2 tracks to select them and everything between. Cmd to add/remove specific tracks from the selection.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Babz wrote:No, I'm afraid it's not snappier, since it still lacks Absolute Grid Snapping, my #1 most-desired feature.

But it may be have more "presence," thanks to floating plug-in windows, my #2 most-desired feature.

Does this other project you're working on involve bananas, Vegemite, or breathing simian-devolving toxic fumes, Shooshie? You are starting to sound like monkey man! :lol:

Babz
Hahaha... no, but it involves spending so much money my head is spinning, so my words may be coming out dizzy, or at least still rotating. To give you some idea, DP9's installer is still sitting on my desktop, waiting for me to install it! I've dropped in and read some of the threads, hoping not to get too far behind, but I'm afraid I've missed this update frenzy. I sit here 100% attentive to DP for, like, 1 year, 11 months, and 20 days, then I turn my back, and THAT'S when they let it drop! What's up with MOTU? Don't they read my calendar???

:lol:

Vegemite? Is that anything like Vita-Meata-Vegimin? That stuff that Lucy Ricardo did the ad for, and kept sipping from the bottle with each take of the video, until she was blotto? I think I could use a bottle of THAT stuff right now!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:Yes, on both macs. At least with screen redraws. And definitely with scrolling using Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad.
Oh, man... is this the news I've been waiting years for, since Mavericks took out the Magic Trackpad for us DP users? If it's 100% fixed, I'm going to be enormously happy. Can't wait until I can get back to business.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:
bayswater wrote:Yes, on both macs. At least with screen redraws. And definitely with scrolling using Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad.
Oh, man... is this the news I've been waiting years for, since Mavericks took out the Magic Trackpad for us DP users? If it's 100% fixed, I'm going to be enormously happy. Can't wait until I can get back to business.

Shoosh
There's even a reference to it in the changelog. The horizontal zoom using a two finger vertical swipe over the cursor also seems to be much smoother.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

Shooshie,
it is incredibly snappier here! Last night I did a live 32 channel, multi-track recording, and when I got home I transferred the project from my Mac laptop to the Mac Pro desktop. This morning when I opended the freshly transferred project, everything was already mixed to my delight :)

WOW!
me
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

:lol:
There is a Bug with Meldaproduction plugins not displaying their content the second time you open them. Voytech, the brain behind the plugins will be taking it up with MOTU.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

dpdan wrote:Shooshie,
it is incredibly snappier here! Last night I did a live 32 channel, multi-track recording, and when I got home I transferred the project from my Mac laptop to the Mac Pro desktop. This morning when I opended the freshly transferred project, everything was already mixed to my delight :)

WOW!
me

THAT'S what I've been wanting to hear! Yay, MOTU! (and DPDan!) Clairvoyant Software!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I remember Claire Voyant.

She was smokin'... and snappy.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Phaedrum

Post by Phaedrum »

Quite the opposite--DP is now slow as molasses in my hands. Straightforward projects easily run with a 128 buffer in DP 8 can no longer be run with a 512 buffer in DP 9. Constant snaps, crackles and pops as the "Processing" bar redlines consistently (on my 8-core, 16GB RAM Mac Pro). Indeed, the processing bar is doing overtime despite the fact that I'm doing nothing! (and yes, I've turned off all possible background processing tasks). I cannot understand how MOTU so drastically slowed the program for the relatively few upgrades. If I had my druthers, I would take a refund and revert back to DP 8. Last night I tried playing a simple riff through my Moog SUB37 with NO effects in DP 9 (just a lot of empty tracks with inserts and sends bypassed), and could not get one clean recorded track without snaps and pops even with a 512 buffer! The same setup in DP 8 works like a dream. What a disappointment.
Mac Pro (Early 2008), 8-Core Xeon, 16 GB RAM, SSD & 2 HD, OS X 10.10, DP 9, MOTU 2408 MK 3, MOTU 1224.