MIDI Editor / Controller Types

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MIDI Editor / Controller Types

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Someone in one of the recent posts said something about being able to switch between different controller data in the MIDI Editor window by hitting a number on the keyboard.

Can someone explain how to do this?

I'm not able to make it work.

I understand the "show only" toggle-switch, but not hitting a numeric #?

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Editor / Controller Types

Post by dix »

It's a very cool, new DP9 feature only. Nothing like it in previous versions. In DP9 search "Edit volume (modulation, expression etc)" in key commands and/or "Edit next type". CC editing in the ME has been substantially revamped overall in DP9.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

JSmith1234567 wrote:Someone in one of the recent posts said something about being able to switch between different controller data in the MIDI Editor window by hitting a number on the keyboard.

Can someone explain how to do this?

I'm not able to make it work.

I understand the "show only" toggle-switch, but not hitting a numeric #?

Thanks!
Press the number keys at the top of the keyboard. It will change the controller that appears in the MIDI editor.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I tried that and it didn't work.

Is it in "commands" or something?

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
dix

Post by dix »

Actually mine were set to Shift-Number Key by default. ...again, it's a DP9-only feature. In DP9 search "Edit volume (modulation, expression etc)" in key commands and/or "Edit next type"
Last edited by dix on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

JSmith1234567 wrote:I tried that and it didn't work.

Is it in "commands" or something?

Thanks!
Yes, it's a default in commands. You might have old custom commands that overwrote it. Look up Custom in the commands window.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

That has got to be it.

Thanks!
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Looks like it correlates with the 7 assigned controllers in Preferences>Continuous Data.
The numbers 1-7 at the top of the keyboard select the first, second, etc assigned controller, rather than CC numbers. Hitting the 3 key will select my default assignment of Breath control CC#2, 4- Porta Time CC#5 etc.

Clicking the zero key lets you directly enter any CC number you want.

Very cool!
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
dix

Post by dix »

For those like me who elected to not import the new default key bindings, you need to assign the controllers to key commands to access.

Here's the other improvements listed in the DP9 change log

• Added commands to insert as the seven custom controller values in Preferences > Continuous Data, or any controller via a dialog. The default key bindings are the row of number of keys.
• Added commands to change the insert type, add lanes, toggle the edit layer, toggle QuickFilter and more. These commands are also available in Edit > Continuous Data.
• Moved MIDI controllers out of the Controllers submenu into the top level in the MIDI Editor's Edit dropdown. The Edit dropdown also includes any other controllers present in the master track.
• Removed the filter menu in the MIDI Editor, Drum Editor and Notation Editor. Replaced it with checkboxes (and commands) that toggle showing only the active insert type or showing the selected data type (Quick Filter).
• Activating Quick Filter switches the active insert type to one of the shown controller types if the insert type isn't visible.

...i like how it now automatically switches to Points when you view velocities.
johncmurphy

Post by johncmurphy »

I really wish this were better documented.
Especially the connection between the names of the CC controllers listed under Preferences...Editing...Continuous Data and the fact hitting numbers 1 through 7 on the keyboard will toggle the corresponding automation lane ON or OFF.
It's a real time saver - once you realize it's there.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

johncmurphy wrote:I really wish this were better documented.
Especially the connection between the names of the CC controllers listed under Preferences...Editing...Continuous Data and the fact hitting numbers 1 through 7 on the keyboard will toggle the corresponding automation lane ON or OFF.
It's a real time saver - once you realize it's there.
Possibly you're referring to the fact that there are key commands to do these things that are not documented anywhere. A common piece of advice to new users is to study the Commands window to see all the things that can be controlled this way. It also gives an overview of all the things DP can do that are not obvious from skimming the manual. The Commands window could be more thoroughly documented, but that manual would probably be bigger than the use guide, and its value would diminish as you customize the commands.
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

bayswater wrote: A common piece of advice to new users is to study the Commands window to see all the things that can be controlled this way.
This would be substantially easier if there were a reverse lookup. I often find myself digging through the window because I want to perform some function, but have to work to figure out what it's called in DP's nomenclature. If I could hit a key and just have it jump to the right place in the list to tell me what that key combo does, that would be great. It' beat through the different sections, and would really help with learning the program since there is a logic to the way they've been mapped - even if that logic is not apparent to us all the time :)
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mesayre wrote:
bayswater wrote: A common piece of advice to new users is to study the Commands window to see all the things that can be controlled this way.
This would be substantially easier if there were a reverse lookup. I often find myself digging through the window because I want to perform some function, but have to work to figure out what it's called in DP's nomenclature. If I could hit a key and just have it jump to the right place in the list to tell me what that key combo does, that would be great. It' beat through the different sections, and would really help with learning the program since there is a logic to the way they've been mapped - even if that logic is not apparent to us all the time :)
Can be done. Go to a command that has no key binding already assigned. Edit that to use the key combination you want to look up. DP will tell you it is already assigned, and tell you what it is assigned to.