DP9's new Undo/Redo behavior

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
hammerman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9's new Undo/Redo behavior

Post by hammerman »

Just a heads up that Command+Z does not toggle the undo/redo anymore. The new behavior is unlimited Undo and Shift+Command+Z will Redo everything. From the changelog:

• Removed Undo/Redo from the Edit menu, replacing it with unlimited undo and redo as separate commands. Undo/Redo is still available as a command but has no default binding.

You CAN go back to the old way as Undo/Redo is still there in the Commands window - assign that to Command+Z and change good ol' Undo to something else.

I'm living dangerously and trying the new way as it is more Mac-like.

Over and out.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
SMS

Re: DP9's new Undo/Redo behavior

Post by SMS »

I like this.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
mocker

Post by mocker »

Great ! Finally.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

I'm loving the new features like this; makes working in DP a lot simpler and like other programs. Now I don't have to stop and think how does DP do this differently than other programs?
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

musicman691 wrote:I'm loving the new features like this; makes working in DP a lot simpler and like other programs. Now I don't have to stop and think how does DP do this differently than other programs?
This is a great point, and why I'm happy with the feature.

I have DP open ~6-10 hours a day, and with DP8 I'd still wake up the next morning and use undo incorrectly the first couple times before remembering I had to hit option for it to work like every other program in OS X.

This new way is way, way, better.
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

I'm liking this new behavior. And isn't it great that MOTU gives us the option to assign a key command to Undo/Redo if we want that option as well? We have our cake and we can eat it as well!
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

musicman691 wrote:I'm loving the new features like this; makes working in DP a lot simpler and like other programs. Now I don't have to stop and think how does DP do this differently than other programs?
Indeed. Speically when you're used to one particular "other program" :wink:
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Morpheo wrote:
Indeed. Speically when you're used to one particular "other program" :wink:
I'm NOT talking about one particular 'other program' where I assume you're talking about ProTools but just about every other Mac program has undo like DP9 now has.
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

musicman691 wrote: I'm NOT talking about one particular 'other program' where I assume you're talking about ProTools but just about every other Mac program has undo like DP9 now has.
I know... was just joking.

(although I did had some adjusting to do when I switched back to DP "full time" a few months ago)
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You know, all you had to do in DP 8 was change the key command.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Morpheo wrote:
musicman691 wrote: I'm NOT talking about one particular 'other program' where I assume you're talking about ProTools but just about every other Mac program has undo like DP9 now has.
I know... was just joking.

(although I did had some adjusting to do when I switched back to DP "full time" a few months ago)
You're not the only one my friend :)
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

What I have wanted more than anything over the years, is Undo/Redo in the Mixer window, as it's so easy to make a mistake and/or not see where mouse focus is and not be able to return to that "perfect" mix setting.

For starts, the knobs/etc., if not also the plug-ins and inserts and their controls/settings.

Did the split of Undo/Redo in DP9 also increase its coverage across the app to previously excluded parts of the app, like the Mixer window?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mixer operations don't appear in the Undo history and aren't affected by the Undo command. If you do arrive at "perfect" mix, you can alway duplicate it and work on the copy, and leave the perfect version intact. You can assign a key command to Duplicate Mix, so it's not that much of a bother.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mhschmieder wrote:What I have wanted more than anything over the years, is Undo/Redo in the Mixer window, as it's so easy to make a mistake and/or not see where mouse focus is and not be able to return to that "perfect" mix setting.

For starts, the knobs/etc., if not also the plug-ins and inserts and their controls/settings.

Did the split of Undo/Redo in DP9 also increase its coverage across the app to previously excluded parts of the app, like the Mixer window?
That’s why I lock my mixes with automation asap. However, doing so leads me to other bugs with Dp’s automation. Its a trade off but I go through great pains to automate everything possible.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I agree about the lack of mixer window undo being a pain. Yes, you can lock a mix, yes you can use automation, but why the hell can't you just simply undo?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku