DP9's new Undo/Redo behavior

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9's new Undo/Redo behavior

Post by toodamnhip »

BKK-OZ wrote:I agree about the lack of mixer window undo being a pain. Yes, you can lock a mix, yes you can use automation, but why the hell can't you just simply undo?
You can set DP to make back ups every minute if this is that big a problem
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

toodamnhip wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:I agree about the lack of mixer window undo being a pain. Yes, you can lock a mix, yes you can use automation, but why the hell can't you just simply undo?
Or MOTU could facilitate mixer undos.

BTW, I do that (backups). But why should I have to reload a saved version, just to undo some tweaks?
It is just nonsense to me that mixer adjustments can't be rolled back.
Yes, I know the work arounds, but why do we have to,work around such a quirk?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

BKK-OZ wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:
Or MOTU could facilitate mixer undos.

BTW, I do that (backups). But why should I have to reload a saved version, just to undo some tweaks?
Yes, I know the work arounds, but why do we have to,work around such a quirk?
While undo in the mixer would be a good thing another way to help in this scenario is if DP had mixer snapshots. You like a mixer setup and take a snapshot. Also give the user the option of having DP do automatic snapshots on a user set interval like autosave does. That way you don't have to reload a whole session but just go back and reload a specific snapshot.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

[/quote] Or MOTU could facilitate mixer undos.

Yes, I know the work arounds, but why do we have to,work around such a quirk?[/quote]
While undo in the mixer would be a good thing another way to help in this scenario is if DP had mixer snapshots. You like a mixer setup and take a snapshot. Also give the user the option of having DP do automatic snapshots on a user set interval like autosave does. That way you don't have to reload a whole session but just go back and reload a specific snapshot.
[/quote]

This isn’t going to happen until the day DP gets it’s snap shot automation bugs fixed with waves and other companies. I have been a staunch advocate of such for yrs..There’s some progress, then an update breaks snap shot..over and over..big problem. "Auto snap shot" or "auto mix save” ANYTHING...would be a disaster.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote: While undo in the mixer would be a good thing another way to help in this scenario is if DP had mixer snapshots. You like a mixer setup and take a snapshot. Also give the user the option of having DP do automatic snapshots on a user set interval like autosave does. That way you don't have to reload a whole session but just go back and reload a specific snapshot.
You can do this in a way. The manual describes how to copy a snapshot from one place in the timeline to another. You can use the same process to copy settings from anywhere to anywhere. In effect your entire project serves as a store of snapshots, almost infinite in number.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

un do not quite working properly in Comp mode

Post by toodamnhip »

This is the second little bug I have found while using comping mode. It could be that comping mode has a few problems, or, it could be general DP 9 early bugs and since I am comping as my 1st major task, these bugs a re showing in comping...lol..
Either way....

When I create an new editing point split in a sub comp track using option click, and then hit UN Do, often,...... DP does NOT un do the edit point I just created.

It just stays there. Sometimes hitting un do again does the trick, sometimes not. Something isn’t right.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The most important reason why UNDO is indispensable regardless of other techniques for avoiding data loss, is that it lets you see what you've done, whether intentional or a slip of the mouse (or not noticing you had focus somewhere when you thought you were working in an entirely different app or window).

I often use the UNDO feature as a sanity check to see what operations I've done -- especially if I'm quickly trying out things and backing them out (I can get lost after a lot of back-and-firths).

Saying there are other ways to avoid data loss is basically saying one shoe fits all. We all have different types of projects and different work styles, Redundancy is what I love about DP, and is the first app where I saw that implemented on a grand scale. It went on to inform my own GUI design principles where I work, and I constantly show DP to co-workers as inspiration.

I can only guess that UNDO for the Mixer window would be EXTREMELY difficult to implement. Possibly precisely because of how it would have to interact with automation features.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mhschmieder wrote: I can only guess that UNDO for the Mixer window would be EXTREMELY difficult to implement. Possibly precisely because of how it would have to interact with automation features.
I will add this in support of your hypothesis that undo in the mixer would be a pain or at least cumbersome. I have noticed a very strange thing about UNDO when it comes to Muted MIDI notes. 1) I highlighted 2 bars of MIDI notes in one track, in the TO window. All the MIDI notes muted.
2) I hit UNDO and it did;t undo the whole muting, it un-did one note at a time. In other words, if there were 25 MIDI notes in the section that I muted with one click over an area of the Tom it took TWENTY FIVE undo’s to uno that ONE maneuver.

I am wondering why it is designed that way by the way? I guess DP cannot differentiate between HOW those 25 notes were muted. It just “remembers” 25 notes being muted and needs 25 undos...seems very strange and even may be something MOTU should re-program if you ask me. But as this related to the mixer window, wow, I could see incremental mixer change undo’s being seriously cumbersome.
By the way, can anyone else verify what I wrote? Mute a section of MIDI in the TO and hit undo and see if the whole section comes back or just one MIDI note at a time.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

toodamnhip wrote:if there were 25 MIDI notes in the section that I muted with one click over an area of the Tom it took TWENTY FIVE undo’s to uno that ONE maneuver.
Hmmm... I just went to my "test" project, and MIDI Note mute worked fine, and Undo undid multiple notes. If you drag the mute tool over several notes at once, or select multiple notes and then apply mute, undo reverses the entire operation. If you mute a set of notes one at a time, then you have to undo them one at a time. That is exactly what it should do. I noticed though that dragging over notes with the Mute tool is somewhat hit and miss -- it often misses some of the notes in the area addressed.

Incidentally, checking Logic's MIDI Mute tool to compare, it doesn't Undo at all. You drag it over one or more note or click on them on at a time to mute them. To unmute you repeat the same operation. The Undo history does not show the Mute operation and Undo does not affect the mute state of the notes at all.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

toodamnhip wrote:
mhschmieder wrote: I can only guess that UNDO for the Mixer window would be EXTREMELY difficult to implement. Possibly precisely because of how it would have to interact with automation features.
I will add this in support of your hypothesis that undo in the mixer would be a pain or at least cumbersome. I have noticed a very strange thing about UNDO when it comes to Muted MIDI notes. 1) I highlighted 2 bars of MIDI notes in one track, in the TO window. All the MIDI notes muted.
2) I hit UNDO and it did;t undo the whole muting, it un-did one note at a time. In other words, if there were 25 MIDI notes in the section that I muted with one click over an area of the Tom it took TWENTY FIVE undo’s to uno that ONE maneuver.

I am wondering why it is designed that way by the way? I guess DP cannot differentiate between HOW those 25 notes were muted. It just “remembers” 25 notes being muted and needs 25 undos...seems very strange and even may be something MOTU should re-program if you ask me. But as this related to the mixer window, wow, I could see incremental mixer change undo’s being seriously cumbersome.
By the way, can anyone else verify what I wrote? Mute a section of MIDI in the TO and hit undo and see if the whole section comes back or just one MIDI note at a time.
Just so you know for other times, there is an Undo window in DP. It allows you to manage branched undos, and do things such as undo 25 events with a single click.

I always have the undo window open. It's a huge timesaver. I usually know exactly where I want to undo back to, and rather than hitting cmd-z a bunch of times until I'm there, I simply click 1 line and get back to working. If for some reason I want to go back after a bunch of work, then forward along that previous undo path, I can! It's awesome.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I tend to use the new window space for track selector but yes, it is an I tend to use the new window space for track selector but yes, it is A handy when do you have open
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:I always have the undo window open. It's a huge timesaver. I usually know exactly where I want to undo back to, and rather than hitting cmd-z a bunch of times until I'm there, I simply click 1 line and get back to working. If for some reason I want to go back after a bunch of work, then forward along that previous undo path, I can! It's awesome.
I'm so jealous. For some odd reason that nobody's been able to figure out yet, branched UNDO has never worked on my system. No branches appear, no matter what I do. (and yes, I know how to set it) This is an ongoing problem of a decade or so. I know it's weird, and maybe a clean install of the whole OS would fix everything, but I'm not going to do that, so I'll live with it until I find a way.

But I REALLY want branched UNDO to work.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:I always have the undo window open. It's a huge timesaver. I usually know exactly where I want to undo back to, and rather than hitting cmd-z a bunch of times until I'm there, I simply click 1 line and get back to working. If for some reason I want to go back after a bunch of work, then forward along that previous undo path, I can! It's awesome.
I'm so jealous. For some odd reason that nobody's been able to figure out yet, branched UNDO has never worked on my system. No branches appear, no matter what I do. (and yes, I know how to set it) This is an ongoing problem of a decade or so. I know it's weird, and maybe a clean install of the whole OS would fix everything, but I'm not going to do that, so I'll live with it until I find a way.

But I REALLY want branched UNDO to work.

Shoosh
I you use "branched undo" a lot, like 10, 000 times, it provides a nice shade for your studio clients. And occasionally, you might find a peach growing on one of the branches...but that’s very rare :dance:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13