DP9, So far so good!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP9, So far so good!

Post by delcosmos »

Yes, I am one of those crazy people who installed DP9 in the middle of an important session.

Hey! That's how much I trust Motu and their beta testers.

Anyway, I've been working all day long with DP9 and I'm happy to report that everything went smooth, not a single crash.
I'm loving the floating plug in thing and the mute MIDI note feature.
I already said this all over the net, but I want to say it one more time: THANK YOU Motu for listening. :woohoo:

The only weird thing I noticed is that when you open a new track or a new Virtual Instrument by default it opens up with the automation turned on. Nothing to worry about.

BTW, they didn't fix the "MIDI device group" bug when you save a templete.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
Steve Steele
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9, So far so good!

Post by Steve Steele »

Farewell DP8. You were a great version. One of the best. :cry:

Anyway, this means I have to remake all the DP/VEP video tutorials I was working on. That's what I get for not hanging out here lately and watching for release dates. :shake:

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
davidh

Post by davidh »

delcosmos wrote:The only weird thing I noticed is that when you open a new track or a new Virtual Instrument by default it opens up with the automation turned on. Nothing to worry about.
I had this too. All newly created tracks or all tracks in a new project created from a template now default to having Automation play enabled on all tracks. To revert to the behaviour we are used to, go to "Setup/Automation Setup..." and set both audio tracks and MIDI tracks to have automation disabled by default (manual p797). Templates then load correctly with each track's automation disabled. Likewise when creating new tracks.
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
http://www.thekeyboard.co.uk
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

davidh wrote:
delcosmos wrote:The only weird thing I noticed is that when you open a new track or a new Virtual Instrument by default it opens up with the automation turned on. Nothing to worry about.
I had this too. All newly created tracks or all tracks in a new project created from a template now default to having Automation play enabled on all tracks. To revert to the behaviour we are used to, go to "Setup/Automation Setup..." and set both audio tracks and MIDI tracks to have automation disabled by default (manual p797). Templates then load correctly with each track's automation disabled. Likewise when creating new tracks.
There you go, another case of :rtfm:

ja ja ja

Thanks for the info.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

delcosmos wrote:Yes, I am one of those crazy people who installed DP9 in the middle of an important session.

Hey! That's how much I trust Motu and their beta testers.

Anyway, I've been working all day long with DP9 and I'm happy to report that everything went smooth, not a single crash.
I'm loving the floating plug in thing and the mute MIDI note feature.
I already said this all over the net, but I want to say it one more time: THANK YOU Motu for listening. :woohoo:

The only weird thing I noticed is that when you open a new track or a new Virtual Instrument by default it opens up with the automation turned on. Nothing to worry about.

BTW, they didn't fix the "MIDI device group" bug when you save a templete.
Nice thing with installing DP9 is it doesn't overwrite a DP8 install so you can keep on working in DP8 for existing projects. And as long as you don't use DP9 specific plugins things seem to swap back and forth between the two DP versions no problem.

I noticed the floating windows right away when I opened a DP8 project that had a couple of effect windows open and the stayed on top. I missed that moving over from ProTools 11.3.1 Nice.

What I also missed in the move is MIDI mute and now DP9 has it. The only thing that would make it better is if after you select a bunch of MIDI notes is if you could right-click and select mute notes. If it's in there please tell me how. Thanks.

My actual first like is DP9 picked up the preferences I use in DP8 so I didn't have to go through and set things. Now I wonder if I make pref changes in DP9 will they reflect into DP8?
sndmarks

Post by sndmarks »

Have they changed anything with folder operations?

I still think it would be great if the folder hierarchy stayed intact when merging something into a chunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
MacPro Nehalem 8core (2x3.33ghz, 64gb RAM, 10.11, Radeon 5770, NVIDIA GT120), DP 9.12
davidh

Post by davidh »

sndmarks wrote:Have they changed anything with folder operations?

I still think it would be great if the folder hierarchy stayed intact when merging something into a chunk.
Merging chunks still ignores folders, simply merging all the tracks which each chunk's folders contain...
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
http://www.thekeyboard.co.uk
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I LOVE that play automation now stays intact from a template! BRAVO!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Oops too soon!

When opening templates...

Play automation enable does now stay intact, but only for MIDI tracks, not audio or aux tracks.

Also, record automation enable is still lost.

Too bad!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
motuhelper

Post by motuhelper »

JSmith, Play Automation works correctly with templates. Like earlier versions of DP, you have to go to the Automation Setup window and set the default for each type of track. Select the track type from the upper right window. Then check Play enabled and/or Record enabled. Then, at the bottom, click on Save as Default for that track type.
lydian91

Post by lydian91 »

Has anyone noticed any improvements regarding vi plugin performance? I was hoping this would be given some more attention in the latest release. I prefer to work by having all of my instruments set up and disabled in v-racks. That way, I can have tons of instruments ready to go, but I only have to enable the ones that are needed.

From a workflow standpoint, this method has been more effective for me than VE Pro. It's nice to have everything contained within the session. The problem has been that DP's vi plugin performance is ok but not great. I've had more success with Pro Tools and Logic in that regard.

Also, are there any detailed release notes available? It would be nice to take a look at the smaller improvements added to DP9 besides the highlights that are being promoted.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra (192GB RAM) | macOS 13.5.2 | MOTU M4 | DP 11.3
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

motuhelper wrote:JSmith, Play Automation works correctly with templates. Like earlier versions of DP, you have to go to the Automation Setup window and set the default for each type of track. Select the track type from the upper right window. Then check Play enabled and/or Record enabled. Then, at the bottom, click on Save as Default for that track type.
Hey thanks! I never knew about that!!!
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

lydian91 wrote:
Also, are there any detailed release notes available? It would be nice to take a look at the smaller improvements added to DP9 besides the highlights that are being promoted.
There's this thread from GS:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11142081-post121.html
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

I thought MIDI learn would be cool and it may be, but it's a pain in the arse to get it to work, at least with MX4. I tried a very simple one of mapping overall volume to MIDI cc7 as sent from my keyboard controller pedal. The control remaps and works no problem. The problem comes in when you close the session, quit DP and then re-open DP and that session. The mapping is NOT remembered. I tried following the manual but the explanation is not at all clear and doesn't seem to work as described. What is needed is a better, more thorough explanation of the process.

All my other synths don't have this problem and I didn't have to do any MIDI learn except for Sampletank 3 which is handled inside the plugin's mixer itself (this is a known thing with ST3). I haven't tried any of the other MOTU synths yet.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Overall feels very polished and stable, perhaps even <snappier> :sorry:. Only minor quibble I can find is that I can't select the Classic Theme. For some reason it is greyed out in the Preferences Menu.
P.S.-tried the DP control app on my iPad 2 with DP, still very unstable for me, but I didn't have a lot of hope for it.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31