DP9, So far so good!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9, So far so good!

Post by mhschmieder »

Good to hear.

In my case (and I saw this in the GS posted list of minor changes) the new default to automation always being on is going to be a killer, but I've already recently had to get in the habit of turning it off globally and track-by-track anyway.

Too many VI's and libraries are now doing the wrong thing and/or not providing hooks to ignore or filter certain stuff. Not MOTU's fault, of course.

At any rate, it sounds like for projects that have no MIDI in them, or that don't use libraries or VI's that are partially crippled regarding CC's, that it is safe to upgrade to DP9 mid-project.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stoecklem
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by stoecklem »

musicman691 wrote:I thought MIDI learn would be cool and it may be, but it's a pain in the arse to get it to work, at least with MX4. I tried a very simple one of mapping overall volume to MIDI cc7 as sent from my keyboard controller pedal. The control remaps and works no problem. The problem comes in when you close the session, quit DP and then re-open DP and that session. The mapping is NOT remembered.
This is really dissapointing if true. I love custom consoles but I have come across a lot of similar troubles and bugs using them in the past and I was hoping they were all fixed up and working properly.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mhschmieder wrote:Good to hear.

In my case (and I saw this in the GS posted list of minor changes) the new default to automation always being on is going to be a killer, but I've already recently had to get in the habit of turning it off globally and track-by-track anyway.

Too many VI's and libraries are now doing the wrong thing and/or not providing hooks to ignore or filter certain stuff. Not MOTU's fault, of course.

At any rate, it sounds like for projects that have no MIDI in them, or that don't use libraries or VI's that are partially crippled regarding CC's, that it is safe to upgrade to DP9 mid-project.
I don't remember if I posted this in this thread or another but installing DP9 does NOT overwrite your DP8 install. So there shouldn't be any worries; just don't use DP9 on the current work in progress.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

stoecklem wrote:
musicman691 wrote:I thought MIDI learn would be cool and it may be, but it's a pain in the arse to get it to work, at least with MX4. I tried a very simple one of mapping overall volume to MIDI cc7 as sent from my keyboard controller pedal. The control remaps and works no problem. The problem comes in when you close the session, quit DP and then re-open DP and that session. The mapping is NOT remembered.
This is really dissapointing if true. I love custom consoles but I have come across a lot of similar troubles and bugs using them in the past and I was hoping they were all fixed up and working properly.
So this might not exactly be a new issue then I guess? I tried following the manual on this.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm not sure there's a bug. Some MIDI info is not saved. I'm not understanding where your issue lies. Also, there are issues with all builds of the OS -- the worst ones seem to be in 10.9.4 and 10.10.2 but that factor cannot be ruled out.

Definitely post a Tech Link and see if MOTU can sort it out.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

Only a couple of crashes - one when changing a parameter in MX4 - but so far so good. Now odd thing a custom theme I made in DP 8.0.7 (a theme based on the carbon) can't be used - is being reported as DP 7 - 8.

Much good stuff. Still room for improvement...
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Basstrup wrote:Now odd thing a custom theme I made in DP 8.0.7 (a theme based on the carbon) can't be used - is being reported as DP 7 - 8.

Much good stuff. Still room for improvement...
Go to your personnal Theme (HD/ Library/ Application Support/ MOTU / Digital Performer / Themes) and right-click on this .
Then, choice the "Show Package Contents" option ans open the Info.plist file .
At the end of the listing, we can see: <key>ThemeMaxVersion</key>
<string>8.0</string> _
Replace 8.0 by 9.0 at the last line for the ThemeMaxVersion and D.P. 9 will recognize your Theme . :wink:

For a correct image at the launch of this version 9, you have to exchange the kDigitalPerformer_LogoWindow.png file with the new which is quite successful in your Theme folder.

This image is from a right-click on the new DP Application in the Applications folder also choosing Show Package Contents option and following the path: Contents / Resources / English.lproj / Images _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
davidh

Post by davidh »

Waveform graphics in the TO now display lower level passages again as they did in DP7 and before.
Thanks MOTU :dance:
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
http://www.thekeyboard.co.uk
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Kudos to MOTU for continuing the development of DP!

I'm using DP every day to make music.

Really cool new features and improvements in DP9!

I'm very happy that DP9 installed easily and works with my DP8 sessions.
Seems to hit the processor a bit harder with these sessions.
Processor overload spikes... with DP8 sessions that were at 50%.

I'm on a mac pro 12 core with OS 10.9.5
All is well
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:I'm not sure there's a bug. Some MIDI info is not saved. I'm not understanding where your issue lies. Also, there are issues with all builds of the OS -- the worst ones seem to be in 10.9.4 and 10.10.2 but that factor cannot be ruled out.

Definitely post a Tech Link and see if MOTU can sort it out.
I told exactly where my issue lies - when I MIDI learned master volume to MIDI cc7 for MX4 that assignment is not remembered when a session is saved, closed, DP quit, DP re-opened and session re-opened. And if you see my sig file you seer that I'm running OSX 10.9.5 (that's my main) and OSX 10.8.5 for an old version of ProTools.

What exactly do you mean by 'some MIDI info is not saved'? Do you know which info and would you impart that upon us please? No need to be cryptic.

Last time I posted a Techlink MOTU did not respond and that was a few weeks ago.

Edit for additional:
I can't post a Techlink on this because DP9 is STILL not showing in my registered products. Magic Dave said it will take a couple of days for MOTU to catch up on their paperwork and he got me my key code for DP9 on Tuesday afternoon. So until that happens I can't do anything.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You told us the symptom, not the problem which you don't know. There's a difference and, when trouble shooting, you need to be aware of that.

To be fair, I don't know your problem either. It could be something you didn't do correctly, a problem with DP or even in the OS. Unless someone weighs in on it who does know, a Tech Link is your only choice.

Your serial number remains unchanged no matter what the version.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

I've just opened my current project in DP9, which uses 1 MachFive, 2 pianoteq, 3 Play, 2 Kontakt, each loaded with cpu-intensive patches, 92 tracks + lots of plugins. In DP8, scrolling was painful on this project (it also contains 24 chunks, some of them are huge sequences), and playback was full of clips and errors when MIDI was playing in realtime (thanks mostly to EastWest Hollywood collection...)

Fast Forward to DP9...

Scrolling is as smooth as it can be (feels like Pro Tools :lol: ), no playback errors whatsoever, the processing meter never go to the red.

I haven't gone deep into DP9's new features yet (I need to finish this project...), but so far, the performance improvement is impressive.

...Well done MOTU!!! 8)
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

I dared not speak because'm not sure. But for the same project, it loads a bit faster with the new version 9.
But it may be an impression with my old MacPro Rev 1.1 _ :oops:
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

musicman691 wrote:Nice thing with installing DP9 is it doesn't overwrite a DP8 install so you can keep on working in DP8 for existing projects.
This has always been the way with DP as far back as I can remember, Jack.

Enjoy the new version, ya bastard!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Morpheo wrote:I've just opened my current project in DP9, which uses 1 MachFive, 2 pianoteq, 3 Play, 2 Kontakt, each loaded with cpu-intensive patches, 92 tracks + lots of plugins. In DP8, scrolling was painful on this project (it also contains 24 chunks, some of them are huge sequences), and playback was full of clips and errors when MIDI was playing in realtime (thanks mostly to EastWest Hollywood collection...)

Fast Forward to DP9...

Scrolling is as smooth as it can be (feels like Pro Tools :lol: ), no playback errors whatsoever, the processing meter never go to the red.

I haven't gone deep into DP9's new features yet (I need to finish this project...), but so far, the performance improvement is impressive.

...Well done MOTU!!! 8)
I haven't done much with 9 yet, but I have the same impression about scrolling, playback, etc. Perhaps the CPU hit noted by some is a result of the background processing noted by TDH. If so, that will go away after a while.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8